Drum Domains

Thread: What motivates you to play drums?

User Info Menu

Default What motivates you to play drums?

What motivates you to play drums? I am alittle down today because I am still being told that I will never make it as a drummer because of my age. Didn't feel motivated to even pick up sticks to even practice today. All I do when I play is put on music and play along in my room. Sometimes I feel like my age is really holding me back. Maybe I can perform at next years va talent show and make it to the finals. Can anyone help me get out of this rut?

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: What motivates you to play drums?

screw that! don't let it get to your head man. age has nothing to do with it at all. i'm not entirely sure what motivates me to play, i just really enjoy doing it. pretty much all i do when i practice is play along to songs, although i dont necessarily play it exactly like the original. i just do whatever i find interesting or fun and that works for me. oh, and beer. that makes it more fun too :P

keep playing though, use their doubt as motivation. prove them wrong.
    Pearl Export EX matte purple with black hardware 10, 13, 14, 22

14" Zildjian Constantinople hats
    22" Zildjian Constantinople ride
    8" Zildjian Constantinople splash
    20" Zildjian Constantinople ride/crash
    18" Zildjian Constantinople riveted ride/crash
    16" A. Zildjian Thin Crash (now a wall decoration)
    18" A. Zildjian Thin Crash
    14" Avedis Zildjian crash

User Info Menu

Play the drums because you love to play the drums. It's all about feeling that rhythm. There are plenty of folks here that have either moved past gigging and still play, or have found the drums latter in life, and just simply enjoy playing at home. I've been fortunate to have found some pastors that enjoy playing together. We don't play out much, just a couple of times a year, but we still love to get together and play.

Practicing is great, and will certainly make you a better drummer. Just don't forget to play just for the enjoyment of playing.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

What motivates me to play drums? It's fun!

Drummerboy60, what do you mean by "make it as a drummer"? Therein may lie your sense of satisfaction. Don't let other people define it for you. Do you want to play along with records in your room? That's cool. Do you want to play in a band in a garage or basement? That's cool too. Do you want to play in a band and gig at local bars or other venues? Also cool. Whatever makes you happy is the point. Just have fun with it! (I hope I haven't overstepped my bounds here.)
    JOE

Seven piece vintage Ludwig kit (1971), Sky Blue Pearl, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 22
    Snare drums (all Ludwig): 1971 Supraphonic, 1969 SBP Classic, 1990s Blackrolite, 2012 6.5x 14 Black Magic
    Zildjian Cymbals - 21 ping, 20, 20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14 HH, 10, 18 China, Wuhan 18 China
    Five piece Sonor All Maple 3005s: 12, 13, 16, 22, 5x 14 snare
    Roland TD4SX
    SPL Birch Bop Kit: 13, 8, 13, 18

User Info Menu

I love jamming with other musicians. I find it very encouraging when strangers put money in the tip jar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joecut View Post
    What motivates me to play drums? It's fun!

Drummerboy60, what do you mean by "make it as a drummer"? Therein may lie your sense of satisfaction. Don't let other people define it for you. Do you want to play along with records in your room? That's cool. Do you want to play in a band in a garage or basement? That's cool too. Do you want to play in a band and gig at local bars or other venues? Also cool. Whatever makes you happy is the point. Just have fun with it! (I hope I haven't overstepped my bounds here.)
    Well put.

What motivates me? It's always been the desire to be real good at something. I've just always been that way. Secondly; the need to make money. If you're going to choose it for a living like I have, you've got to make sure you're among the best because there's a lot of competition out there and they all want your gig! The only way you're going to pay those bills is make sure that phone is ringing. You do that through being a good drummer, being versatile, having a great sense of time and of course being a team player.
    - Tom

Everyone loves FREE... like this free drum forum. But like your car and even your drums, they require upkeep and maintenance and that requires money.

Will you consider Shopping at Drum Bum to help support this forum?

Or make a donation here.

I know from working with Drum Bum through the years, that this forum is costly to run. It requires server fees, hosting, ongoing moderation, advertising, software upgrades, security certificates and IT work when it breaks. All in addition to the expenses that come from running a business. These costs are offset (hopefully) by members that click through to Drum Bum to make a purchase now and then, if not make a contribution to help keep it running.

On behalf of Drum Bum, thank you for your consideration.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys I feel better.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

"being a team player"

That does not include the guitar player.

User Info Menu

I just want to be better than I currently am. I hear or read something; I want to be able to pull it off. I guess I just enjoy it.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch)
    Premier Artist Maple (with Birch Snare) - yellow/fusion.
    Ludwig Acrolite (1976)
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76)
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste Signature:
    10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18", 20" Full Crash

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride

Paiste Sound Formula:
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

User Info Menu

Even if I don't get noticed, i'm still thankful that I took an interest in playing the drums. Sure it would be nice to be in a band or get noticed, but if I don't, at least I'll still have my drums. Just drumming for 5 minutes straight makes me feel like i've accomplished something. I take drum exams each year. What motivates me, is every single drummer. It's nice to be part of a "drummer group" which is this website. I want to keep up with other drummers and be just as good, if not better. That's what motivates me. Drum on!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Even if I don't get noticed, i'm still thankful that I took an interest in playing the drums. Sure it would be nice to be in a band or get noticed, but if I don't, at least I'll still have my drums. Just drumming for 5 minutes straight makes me feel like i've accomplished something. I take drum exams each year. What motivates me, is every single drummer. It's nice to be part of a "drummer group" which is this website. I want to keep up with other drummers and be just as good, if not better. That's what motivates me. Drum on!
    i'm with this guy ^^^
    Pearl Export EX matte purple with black hardware 10, 13, 14, 22

14" Zildjian Constantinople hats
    22" Zildjian Constantinople ride
    8" Zildjian Constantinople splash
    20" Zildjian Constantinople ride/crash
    18" Zildjian Constantinople riveted ride/crash
    16" A. Zildjian Thin Crash (now a wall decoration)
    18" A. Zildjian Thin Crash
    14" Avedis Zildjian crash

User Info Menu

I might be overstepping a boundary here, but I think it's time for you to find some different "friends". Either they are jealous of your achievements, and don't understand what it takes to play the drums, or they are just miserable people that like to downgrade other peoples achievements. Whatever their malfunction is you need to lose yourself of the pleasure of their company. Age isn't a reason to not play the drums. Neil Peart just turned 62, right? Is that to old? Don't let the ignorant drag you down and stop you from doing something you obviously enjoy. I have to go now because my blood pressure is rising. Keep playing and HAVING FUN!
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Chicks dig drummers......right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NewTricks View Post
    Chicks dig drummers......right?
    They dig singers more. So, the trick is... to be a singing drummer.
    - Tom

Everyone loves FREE... like this free drum forum. But like your car and even your drums, they require upkeep and maintenance and that requires money.

Will you consider Shopping at Drum Bum to help support this forum?

Or make a donation here.

I know from working with Drum Bum through the years, that this forum is costly to run. It requires server fees, hosting, ongoing moderation, advertising, software upgrades, security certificates and IT work when it breaks. All in addition to the expenses that come from running a business. These costs are offset (hopefully) by members that click through to Drum Bum to make a purchase now and then, if not make a contribution to help keep it running.

On behalf of Drum Bum, thank you for your consideration.

User Info Menu

Miles Davis said playing music was the most fun he had with his pants on. There's one reason.

If you see music as an art form, starting with primitive man, through the ages from Bach to Duke Ellington to Jimi Hendrix to dubstep (just to name a few), then you are part of that line. There's another reason.

And also the sense of accomplishment. One day you can barely get your hands and feet to play a pattern, without any timing or rhythm, the next day you can play it but only really slowly and not well timed, the day after that you can play it fine at the speed you want. I love that feeling.

Too old to make it? I started playing at 31, i'm at best a low intermediate and have an entire ocean in front of me in terms of how I can improve. You wrote that all you do is play along to music? Well, I suggest practicing rudiments, coordination exercises and the other basics. "Unless you're a freak like me, you'll probably get a bit bored with it, but what's not boring is realizing what cool stuff you can do from practicing it.

My advice, go out and buy Stick Control, practice that for 20min a day, also Tommy Igoe's great hands for a lifetime pdf (google it, the top results will get you what you need) is 1 page of practically everything any drummer needs.

In short, have fun, take it seriously, practice and it will come
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

You need to stop using the "age" thing as a roadblock to "making it as a drummer". Maybe it's something else. Many "old guys" are playing drums for a living, some more successfully than others. Take a look at some of the drummers for the current touring acts. Many are 50 +. If you're older and have chops....................you can play.

Also, please define "making it as a drummer".

Also, your goals seem to be off kilter. "Maybe I can perform at a talent show"? How about I want to master 12 rudiments so I can translate those to a kit and improve my playing. Just a suggestion.

To answer your question, having fun and trying to get better every time I sit behind a kit is what keeps me going. When it's no longer fun, you'll find 5 kits on eBay.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 09-15-2014 at 07:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Your first mistake is listening to other people! Do what works for you.

My new drum room is definitely helping with my motivation!

User Info Menu

I've always wanted to be a drummer. As I grew up, my parents didn't think much of it. They bought a piano and tried to get me to take lessons. No dice. Then they bought me a guitar. No thanks. It wasn't until I moved out and was on my own that I was able to do what I wanted. The freedom drumming gave me was liberating.

Don't listen to the nay sayers...keep on drumming Gregg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    They dig singers more. So, the trick is... to be a singing drummer.
    Check. I wear a headset mic and pretend I'm Phil. Pretty sure it's the only reason I get any attention from the ladies at all.

Back to the point of this thread. I play because...

1. I can't imagine life without drumming. Simply can't. I started at 8 y/o.
    2. It's the only cardio exercise I get. I hate running, cycling, swimming laps, etc. So, drumming helps to keep me healthy.
    3. I get to make music by hitting things?! That is too cool for words.
    4. I promised my older brother that I would never stop playing when I was 12. I plan on honoring that promise.

Gregg, play just cuz it feels good for you. If you never play anywhere but in your home with headphones on, whatever. I used to gig out. It's not all it's cracked up to be.
    Never stop drumming!! Seriously.
    Proudly playing:
    Sonor Force 3007
    A bunch of snares
    Zildjian
    Sabian
    Istanbul

Sleishman Twin Pedal (You have got to try it to know!!)

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Drums are my therapy. Doesn't matter if I've had a good day, bad day, mad day, glad day, etc...I can always center myself with my drums. Always.

Tex

User Info Menu

just love playing the drums always have, wife knows that when my time comes to throw a pair of sticks in box the before they cremate my butt.
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

A.d.h.d.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

dmacc Guest

There's absolutely no age assigned to music. Sports - yes - music - no.

It's a personal journey that means something different to each of us who decide to embark on it.

37 years ago I was continually reminded how terrible I was (and I was) by my "friends". I was laughed at among many, many other things when I decided to take lessons and begin to truly practice. Was told I'd never learn to play and why bother.

I never once let it go and eventually began making a living from it from regular gigging, recording and maintaining a full roister of students. I did this for about 5 years and made a personal choice to backaway from that sort of regimen.

Nowadays I do play with others on a frequent basis, but I don't do much gigging or teach. However I'm 100% always engaged on almost a daily basis with new learning material that sits on my music stand in the practice room.

What motivates me? The challenges the instrument itself presents each of us every moment we want to play it. There's no limit.. There's no end to knowledge to acquire.

I don't get long term motivation from the crowd at a gig. Hearing the appreciation is nice, but once I go home, it's no longer sustaining.

I don't get motivation from people trying to stroke my ego.. Most of them are not drummers and say it in order to say something nice.

I only find motivation from within. This - and this alone - will sustain me for the rest of my time here on earth.

User Info Menu

Hi,
    nothing makes me drum, it is just a part of me that comes out through my drum kit.
    I drum when I am happy,angry,fed up any mood, and I always end up feeling good afterwards.
    If I get stuck on something and get annoyed with it, because it's too hard, I just fight with it till I can do it, that is just me! like a dog with a bone. I won't give up..that goes for most things, especially if a person tells me, you can't do that/shouldn't do that.. blah de blah!
    Keep on drumming
    Bridie