Thread: Home recording help please.

User Info Menu

Default Home recording help please.

I decided to try to use the Mackie I bought and never used and now have for sale. I have all the drums mic's up and can hear them easily enough through head phones plugged into the Mixer.

I then ran a cord from my stereo's headphone output jack to the mixer to play along to some songs, For some reason the vocals all sound like they are in a big empty hallway and barely audible. I played with a few knobs and controls but nothing really had an effect except the left right button but both ways the vocals never changed.. Any idea's?

I can get some better pics but I plugged the stereo headphone output into the mic 6 input, should I get a different cord and plug the tereo into a different place. I would love to use the 6th mic input for a vocal mic?

face of mixer
    [IMG][/IMG]

back of mixer
    [IMG][/IMG]

Back of Stereo
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Home recording help please.

I'm guessing you're using a cable that is 1/4" out of your amp and 1/4" into the mono channel on your mixer. You're only getting half your stereo sound into your mixer. The vocals are on the other track - that's why you can't hear them very well. You need a 1/4" TRS to two 1/4"TS cable. It will split your stereo signal into a left/right. Run the TRS from your amp to a left/right channel input on the mixer. That should get you both left and right stereo in the mix. Vocals should be there.
    Last edited by G-man; 09-17-2014 at 10:19 PM.
    Gretsch Renown
    Ludwig Supraphonic
    Zildjian
    15”, 16”, 18” K Dark Thin
    16”, 18” K Sweet
    16" A Custom EFX
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    22” 60’s A Ride
    14" 50's Thin hats
    14” K Sweet hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    I'm guessing you're using a cable that is 1/4" out of your amp and 1/4" into the mono channel on your mixer. You're only getting half your stereo sound into your mixer. The vocals are on the other track - that's why you can't hear them very well. You need a 1/4" TRS to two 1/4"TS cable. It will split your stereo signal into a left/right. Run the TRS from your amp to a left/right channel input on the mixer. That should get you both left and right stereo in the mix. Vocals should be there.
    OK I think I know what you mean, Instead of running into mic 6, I can run it into the line 7-8 for example in the 1st pic?

Thanks much
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Run a L/R RCA cable from your cd out on your amp to the tape in on your board.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Run a L/R RCA cable from your cd out on your amp to the tape in on your board.
    Yep - that's the easier way. But if you want to control the level on your board with a slider you can run it into 7/8 and mix it like the rest of your mics.
    Gretsch Renown
    Ludwig Supraphonic
    Zildjian
    15”, 16”, 18” K Dark Thin
    16”, 18” K Sweet
    16" A Custom EFX
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    22” 60’s A Ride
    14" 50's Thin hats
    14” K Sweet hats

User Info Menu

i have the same desk i use it for live work when its a simple gig setup and i have use it for a 5.1 mixing in the past to

the mixing desks have a tape in that only works if you dont solo any other tracks ...

a little stupid design fault ..you can adjust the amount of level from the tape input on these desks too and send to main output but you are better of using one of the stereo tracks on this desk with 4.5mm adapters

User Info Menu

Thanks guys I ran it into the 7/8 and it works great. Now I have a new problem. I have my kit mic'd and running into the mixer, I have my CD player running into the mixer as well.

I was hoping to record the sound from the mixer (cd and drums) to my zoom q3 but there is no input jack on the q3 so what would you recommend for this? I want to record the sound from the mixer and not the room sounds of my drums.

Also I have a wedge monitor and tried plugging the mixer into that but it does not do well, probably because it is right next to the kit and gets feedback big time..It just starts buzzing badly if I turn the volume up without even hitting anything. I can get pics if needed.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Thanks guys I ran it into the 7/8 and it works great. Now I have a new problem. I have my kit mic'd and running into the mixer, I have my CD player running into the mixer as well.

I was hoping to record the sound from the mixer (cd and drums) to my zoom q3 but there is no input jack on the q3 so what would you recommend for this?
    Upgrade to a recorder with xlr/high Z input jacks. You're out of luck trying to record line level to a recorder without any input jacks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post

I was hoping to record the sound from the mixer (cd and drums) to my zoom q3 but there is no input jack on the q3 so what would you recommend for this? I want to record the sound from the mixer and not the room sounds of my drums.

Also I have a wedge monitor and tried plugging the mixer into that but it does not do well, probably because it is right next to the kit and gets feedback big time..It just starts buzzing badly if I turn the volume up without even hitting anything. I can get pics if needed.
    you should all ways use headphones when recording, this will stop and bleed and feedback