Thread: Advice on buying electronic drum kit.

electrodrum Guest

Default Advice on buying electronic drum kit.

I've been playing guitar for over 9 years and I really want to learn to play the drums. But I live in a small flat and an acoustic kit sadly is not an option. I really want a kit for learning and jamming with friends. But I also don't have a lot of money.

I was looking at kits ... [link removed. Please see forum rules - Thx! , Tom]

And I was looking for advice on which one to get. I'm REALLY hoping to spend less than 500. But I don't want to buy anything which will break quickly, sound like a complete toy, or not have a necessary component.

I'm really hoping that this goal is achievable. All advice is welcome, thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Advice on buying electronic drum kit.

Hi,

You're making a great choice playing drums, most instrument in the world to play!

First of all, you always have the used option, however if improperly used, ekits won't work well. They literally get smashed to death. So if you go the used route, ask the seller their favorite type of music, if it's metal, you might want to go somewhere else. Also, type of stick used when playing is important, if you see sticks larger than 5bs, I'd also pass (you can just ask the person which they use, 7s are the thinnest typically found, why this is is due to Newton's second law aka basic physics)

Second, I would highly recommend the yamaha DTX 500 (i think the new model is 502), especially since you are a beginner. There a plenty of reasons why this is the best entry level ekit (and the most expensive), but the one that will make you good at drums the fastest is it has this program that will help you play in beat and give you feedback when you are not. Timing is the most important thing in drumming (coordination is number 2, speed number 3), so this tool is perfect for beginner (ive been playing basically 3 years, so i know what it's like).

As I said to my mentor today, that tool eliminates the need for weekly drum lessons. In fact, since you are just starting, I can tell you exactly which exercises to practice (especially if you buy Stick Control), and if you use this program while practicing, you won't need a teacher for your first year.

I'm pretty sure none of the other entry level models have this feature. Note this is not just a metronome, you will know how accurately you're playing and you can set it so it you can improve your accuracy while you play.

I've just checked, it's also on the Yamaha 400 model, just google yamaha rhythm gate and you'll see it in action.

Maybe you can already, but if you can't read notes, whatever you do learn them (my guitarist can't). Not learning how to read drum notation today is the same as not learning how to use the Internet. If you already can read notes and scales, then you'll laugh at how easy drum notation is to read

Good luck, and welcome to the club. You've taken your first step into a larger world!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

electrodrum Guest

Thanks for the advice! What do people think about the simmons drum kits?

[link removed... AGAIN - Tom]

I was leaning towards it because it had the least negative reviews. Especially regarding it's stability.

User Info Menu

Do you already have an amplifier and speaker or a PA system?

User Info Menu

I'd suggest the DTX400 to start - great sounds, affordable, and expandable...

Kits
    Yamaha Stage Custom (Bop/Studio hybrid)
    Yamaha Manu Katche Junior Kit
    Custom Sonor Martini

Cymbals
    Sabian HH/HHX + Zildjian Ks

Snares
    THE DIRTY DOZEN!
    The YAMAHAS (Musashi, Kabuto, Weckl, Gadd, JR Robinson, Emory, Jordan, Brass)
    Ludwig maple piccolo
    2 custom made staves from Dan Briechle
    1 custom Canadian maple stave

Electronics
    AlternateMode, Yamaha

User Info Menu

Bye-bye, electrodrum spammer! Nice try.