Thread: cymbal breakdown

User Info Menu

Default cymbal breakdown

So is it true that with every cymbal cleaning metal is being stripped away? and when enough does get taken out breakage will incur?

It was said that the blackness you get on a cleaning rag is really metal that was drawn out of the cymbal.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: cymbal breakdown

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    So is it true that with every cymbal cleaning metal is being stripped away? and when enough does get taken out breakage will incur?

It was said that the blackness you get on a cleaning rag is really metal that was drawn out of the cymbal.
    If you use chemical cleaners (including the stuff sold by cymbal manufacturers) it will remove a tiny amount of metal each time you use it - but the amount of metal removed is insignificant and you will have to clean them for a long, long time to make any appreciable difference. Most of that black gunk that comes off your cymbal isn't really metal - it is corrosion, sweat, beer and accumulated dust and grime. Some metal may be removed - but the amount is insignificant.

Try cleaning and already clean cymbal and weighing it before and after - you will need really accurate scales to find any difference - if any.

User Info Menu

I bet you could could clean them everyday for yrs. and not be able to detect any difference. On the other hand if you don't clean them for yrs. it only makes a slight difference.

User Info Menu

You're losing skin every time you play too! But that stuff grows back.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

No offense but this sounds ridiculous to me. I've been cleaning cymbals for 40 years and none of them ever got any lighter or thinner. Unless you're using some kind off power buffer I think you will have no worries.

User Info Menu

i agree, even if it's true the amount is minuscule. Peart's drum tech said it. He said after they lose enough they will break. I can see this happening under extreme touring conditions. He also said he was cleaning them after every use.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

You should clean your cymbals up right before a gig Slinky and Indian war paint or
    football player lines on your cheeks with that black stuff for the overhead bright lights.
    Last edited by Ray on the Drums; 09-21-2014 at 11:35 AM.

User Info Menu

I think I'm gonna start polishing the heck outta my thicker cymbals!

User Info Menu

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray on the Drums View Post
    You should clean your cymbals up right before a gig Slinky and Indian war paint or
    football player lines on your cheeks with that black stuff for the overhead bright lights.
    i actually have some of that stuff Ray good idea
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Python's "The Meaning of Life"...HaHa...Great Flick!!!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray on the Drums View Post
    i actually have some of that stuff Ray good idea

Cool pic!!!

User Info Menu

LoL i like it.... thanks Rich
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

LoL i like it.... thanks Rich
    You're welcome. Seriously, you should go on stage looking like that

User Info Menu

Crazy I can't imagine worrying about that no offense. It's like saying washing and waxing your car will remove all the paint. Sure with an industrial strength buffer over heated and ran by someone who didn't know any better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Crazy I can't imagine worrying about that no offense. It's like saying washing and waxing your car will remove all the paint. Sure with an industrial strength buffer over heated and ran by someone who didn't know any better.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I read that bit with Peart's drum tech too, makes sense most of those cleaners are corrosive, though Im sure its rather insignificant if your only cleaning them periodically.

personally I only clean em when i buy used to get the imprint of someone else's paws off my cymbals!
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

I was in the Royal Navy for ages - In new entry training establishments we used to clean all the brass fittings daily with brasso, Some of the ceremonial stuff being cleaned was from the early 1900's - it didn't wear out or get thinner. Don't be scared of cleaning your cymbals. if you like 'em clean and shiny clean them.

The only thing to be aware of is that it will remove logos fairly quickly and can wear through laquer on regular finish or coated B8 cymbals.

I have removed the laquer from a Zildjian 12" ZXT splash (the laquer was cracked, dark brown and blotchy looking) - it made no appreciable difference to the sound, apparently B8 cymbals are more prone to corroding if they have no laquer coating, but in the last year I think I've only cleaned it once.

I think this "if you clean them they will wear out" thing is just one of those silly drummer legend things - like if you bury your cymbals in the garden they will age quickly. Sorry guys but that one is also bull****, if you bury them and no air can get to them the layer of soil will actually protect the metal (similar to a layer of laquer), when you dig them up and clean away the crud to avoid tetanus they will probably just be the same as the day you buried them. If you want to 'age' your cymbals play them, and if you want to develop patina (rust) either stop cleaning them or just wipe away stick marks with a damp cloth and leave em on the stands to let the air get to them - it will still take ages though.