Thread: Ludwig Supraphonic restoration

User Info Menu

Default Ludwig Supraphonic restoration

I snagged a 1967 Supraphonic recently. 14x5" aluminum keystone badge. It's in pretty rough shape, but most of the parts were there and everything is straight. I need hoops and tension rods. Hoops are easy to find, but I don't know what length tension rods I need. Does anyone know?

Anyways, I'll post pictures when it's redone. It may be a while. I'm looking to have everything replated to my taste. I'm not a big fan of all chrome, so I intentionally got one where I wouldn't be destroying an original that could be saved or fully restored.
    Last edited by quikstang2; 09-22-2014 at 12:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Supraphonic restoration

Can't wait to see it!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Ah, what the hell? Here are some before shots. (From where I bought it.)

As you can see, it's ugly. I'm not concerned with getting original hoops. I might even use a stick saver type batter hoop. (I have one I'm taking off another snare I'm restoring.) There are a few plating places nearby. I have to see if they can do what I want, or if I have to find somewhere to send it out. I haven't decided what to do for snare wires yet, but I'll probably see what PureSound ones are popular. I'll most likely replace the lug inserts as well. Threads get tired with use, and I'm assuming they're fairly corroded as well. I have some sleeved tension rod washers to go on it already, so that just leaves the unknown length tension rods to purchase.
    I'll definitely lose the date stamp on the inside, if it's even still there. Oh well. It's better than letting transform into a pile of oxide.

User Info Menu

Rechecked and the matching 1967 14x5" Acrolite was still available. I paid more than I should have for the shell and lugs, but it's getting my mind off my cat, and best friend, that we had to put down yesterday, so yeah... Anyways, I'm assuming the tension rod length is the same on the Acro as the Supra, so I have 16 more of this mystery size to buy. I'm going to have both drums refinished the same way. I need to get a strainer and butt side for this drum in addition to hoops, tension rods and wires.

User Info Menu

the original lugs don't look bad. That seems to be the main thing that sets them apart from others as far as looks go.
    Last edited by slinky; 09-22-2014 at 06:05 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Yeah, the Acrolite's lugs look pretty decent for the age. I thought about getting Imperial lugs for it, but wanted to keep the original style and just refinish them.

User Info Menu

It's hard to see but the spra in this pic was really rough, I had it re-chromed, it has been well over 15 years and it still looks great.

DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

rmandelbaum - Very nice collection. Out of curiosity, how much did it cost to rechrome it?

User Info Menu

Thank you, as for the cost, I do not remember, in general the more items you have done the cheaper it tends to get per item if I remember correctly
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Ok, thanks.

After some internet searching I found someone who can get me some lug gaskets for the Supra. I'd like to find some for the Acro too, and some generic gasket material to put under the rest of the hardware.

I also found someone who makes adapter plates to put the Trick GS007 strainer and butt side on these drums. I already have one of those lying around, and the Acro doesn't come with those parts, so I'll give it a try there first.

The Acro came in today. After seeing it, I may just get the shells stripped and polished. Possibly a black anodizing instead of the black nickel I was initially thinking about. I really like how aluminum looks, which is a big reason I started looking into these drums to begin with.

User Info Menu

Do what Alex Van Halen did wood hoop top Die cast bottom.
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

I believe the tension rod length is 2 and 1/8" tip to tip.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by not him View Post
    Do what Alex Van Halen did wood hoop top Die cast bottom.
    I've already got an S-hoop from another drum going on top. Probably going with a regular 2.3mm triple flanged snare side hoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I believe the tension rod length is 2 and 1/8" tip to tip.
    So 1"-something for the actual length. Narrows it down a bit. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    So 1"-something for the actual length. Narrows it down a bit. Thanks.
    I believe it'd be 1 and 5/8" or 1 and 7/8" from shoulder.
    Should be 2 and 1/8" tip to tip.

Hope that narrowed it down a bit. I don't own a supraphonic or have the specific tension rod/length you needed. I looked on eBay and tried to find the measurement for you.

User Info Menu

All things considered, it didn't turn out too bad!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Nicely done!!

User Info Menu

I'm confused. What got done?

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I believe it'd be 1 and 5/8" or 1 and 7/8" from shoulder.
    Should be 2 and 1/8" tip to tip.

Hope that narrowed it down a bit. I don't own a supraphonic or have the specific tension rod/length you needed. I looked on eBay and tried to find the measurement for you.
    Yeah, I found those sizes on eBay too. I was hoping someone here had one to measure just to be sure. Thanks for the help.

User Info Menu

Looks like it was dropped on the one side. But still a great great snare
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

They're both still round. The Acro has some dings and dents. Money is going towards 14 year old vehicle maintenance at the moment, so the project is on hold unless I can sell a drum set and scrap an old car soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    I'm confused. What got done.
    I'm even more confused...didn't you clean up the snare? What's this?

User Info Menu

No, I didn't. One side is flakier than the other. Those were the pictures from the web, before I ever got it. All the chrome has to be stripped.

User Info Menu

On the subject of tension rod length. Try taking the hoops and heads off of another snare. Refit one lug to each side of the shell and attempt to loosely fit the head and hoop (Don't tighten the heads as you don't want to risk warping the hoop - if you just fit two lugs directly opposite each other it won't matter if the hoops used are from an 8 or 10 lug snare), try the rods from the 'donor' snare first. If they are too long or short, try a couple of rods from one of your toms for size. With some luck you may be able to identify the correct length rods by trying out ones from your other drums. Its a bit time consuming but may help eliminate guesswork.