Thread: Reverb

User Info Menu

Default Reverb

What is it about reverb that makes things sound so good? Why do people like that sound? I had a couple tell me how great I sounded this time and all I did was use more reverb delay echo whatever.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Reverb

You just gave me a good idea for a vocalist tee shirt...
    "Give me reverb or give me death!" They like their reverb.

User Info Menu

It just makes things sound bigger. And for some reason thats pleasing to the human ear.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Reverb

Probably the same reason we all sound awesome when we sing in the shower, even if we sound awful in the open air. As NR pointed out, reverb "just makes things sound better" because it delays and deepens the sounds.

The slap-back delay echo that 8beat used is as old as the hills...and with music it works, but not with the spoken word. My dad had a 1963 Pontiac equipped with what was called a "Verbra-Phonic" rear speaker, which delayed the signal to the rear speaker a split-second behind the signal to the front speaker. Trouble was it was, as one car writer put it, "either extremely effective or extremely annoying," depending on what was playing. Music, yes. A local newscast, nononononononono....(exaggerated demo of its effect!)
    Last edited by bongobro; 10-14-2014 at 07:26 PM.
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

It adds "presence"

all the best...

User Info Menu

It must be all that! Vocalists cry and kick like little girls if they don't have it.
    Last edited by Ray on the Drums; 10-15-2014 at 08:11 AM.

User Info Menu

kick little girls? lol
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Love reverb on the snare....

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Reverb

And it sounds cool on hand drums, too!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck