Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old drum surprise

User Info Menu

Default Old drum surprise

While at a friends house last week he gave me an old marching snare drum that was given to him by someone who's house he was inspecting. It was in their trash can and he knew I played drums so figured I may have a use for it.

I looked at it and said eh, there is no badge or other identifying marks on it so I figured it was just an old 60's or 70's japanese pre-pearl drum.

Still I figured hey I bet I can restore it and find a spot for it somewhere on my kit.

I took the snare head off yesterday and lo and behold it is a Gretsch with a model #, serial # and the old familiar silver sealer inside. I am gonna have to cut it down to get it to work due to the bearing egdes being ridiculously bad but the shell seems sturdy and round. I sent an email to vintage drums to make sure it's not some rare drum I should not cut but I doubt it. It is 14x10 and I am thinking of cutting it down to a 6, 7 or 8. I will post updates as I progress in the restoration, I am in no hurry and will probably take a few months.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Old drum surprise

that's awesome! Will be really nice with a clean up

User Info Menu

Few more pics,

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

oh yeah that edge is gone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    oh yeah that edge is gone
    The edge is not gone....that's the snare bed for the wires!
    Nice drum, hope she cleans up nice!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    The edge is not gone....that's the snare bed for the wires!
    Nice drum, hope she cleans up nice!
    Hmmmm I never knew that. Now I gotta look at one of my other snares and see why they do not have that?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

A very cool drum indeed. Looks quite a bit out of round in that one picture. Hopefully you can save it, or at least make a cool display drum out of it.

User Info Menu

It's guaranteed for life. Maybe Gretsch will fix it.

User Info Menu

yeah, uh, don't cut that drum down. Snare beds. Vintage drums lose their value if you cut new bearing edges too.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Hmmmm I never knew that. Now I gotta look at one of my other snares and see why they do not have that?
    I'm betting they do. Hard to get a good controlled snare response without snare beds. Some are wider and most or not as severe as these, but even most metal snares have them. That is why 42-strand wires may not work well on drums with narrow beds.

User Info Menu

Not all snare drums have snare beds. They are put there so the wires contact the snare wire side head better. Great point about the 42 stranders xsabers!
    The bearing edge was probably the most protected part of that drum except for the dust globs on them now.
    This should be a very nice drum cleaned up!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    A very cool drum indeed. Looks quite a bit out of round in that one picture. Hopefully you can save it, or at least make a cool display drum out of it.
    Not out of round...snare bed dip illusion on the left side there

User Info Menu

I'm not a vintage Gretsch drum expert by any means but during a quick search on the serial number I found this:

Quote from vintage site:

Gretsch Tournament Parade Drums, which were equipped with WIDE-42 power snares, but these had metal counter hoops.

Mahogany or Lacquer & Chrome

#4580 - 14" x 10"

#4582 - 15" x 12"

#4584 - 16" x 12"

Pearl & Chrome {available in Tri-Tone Pearl Finish}

#4581 - 14" x 10"

#4580 - 15" x 12"

#4585 - 16" x 12"

'70s #4581:

'60s #4581:

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info Late, Odd things is this drum has no badge on outside unless it fell off, I am not sure how they are attached.

BTW whats the best stuff to use to clean up the lugs and other metal parts?
    Last edited by MDK; 09-23-2014 at 02:45 PM.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info Late, Odd things is this drum has no badge on outside unless it fell off, I am not sure how they are attached.

BTW whats the best stuff to use to clean up the lugs and other metal parts?
    You're welcome MDK. I heard soaking the rusty parts with a can of diet Coke does the job pretty good.

Here's a the insides of a #4581 Gretsch Tournament snare. Note the location and size of the damper. It looks similar to yours:

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    It's guaranteed for life. Maybe Gretsch will fix it.
    Can't hurt to call Gretsch....................that would be cool if they took care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    You're welcome MDK. I heard soaking the rusty parts with a can of diet Coke does the job pretty good.

I've heard to soak it in coke and scrub with aluminum foil......................I've never used that technique personally, but read about it before.

Good Luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Not out of round...snare bed dip illusion on the left side there
    I saw that. I'm looking at the area between 8 and 7 o'clock. It could be just the way it's angled, but there appears to be a flat spot.

User Info Menu

Just came across a place that sells the Gretsch internal muffling attachment like the one in that drum brand new if you need one.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Took the batter off yesterday, put a new head on and it fits easily and spins by hand, the snare side is out of round though. I have to force the head on and there is no way you can spin it. Looks to be about 1/4" - 3/8" out of round. Not sure how this will affect sound.

I wonder if cutting an inch or so off that side would fix it? Any good websites or video's on cutting down a drum?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Here's a the insides of a #4581 Gretsch Tournament snare. Note the location and size of the damper. It looks similar to yours:

Every Gretsch drum with dampers looks like that from the 60s & 70s.
    My 1977 tom shells have exactly the same damper except there two in each shell, one for each head.............I tried using them the first few weeks and have ignored them ever since............when I change heads I check to see if the screws are tight so there is no rattle...........no problem.
    I don't know about snare drums from that period -- especially marching drums -- but my 1954 Gretsch snare has a damper that is different than the one shown here.

Took the batter off yesterday, put a new head on and it fits easily and spins by hand, the snare side is out of round though. I have to force the head on and there is no way you can spin it. Looks to be about 1/4" - 3/8" out of round. Not sure how this will affect sound.

I wonder if cutting an inch or so off that side would fix it? Any good websites or video's on cutting down a drum?
    I would cut that snare side down until you find the round............maybe start at 2 inches and then a half-inch at a time if more is needed.
    That might determine your new snare shell depth.
    What a cool project and a great find !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Every Gretsch drum with dampers looks like that from the 60s & 70s.
    My 1977 tom shells have exactly the same damper except there two in each shell, one for each head.............I tried using them the first few weeks and have ignored them ever since............when I change heads I check to see if the screws are tight so there is no rattle...........no problem.
    I don't know about snare drums from that period -- especially marching drums -- but my 1954 Gretsch snare has a damper that is different than the one shown here.

I would cut that snare side down until you find the round............maybe start at 2 inches and then a half-inch at a time if more is needed.
    That might determine your new snare shell depth.
    What a cool project and a great find !

Cool, if I cut it down 2" I will have to move the lugs (drill new holes) as the top of the lugs are 2-1/2 down from the bearing edge.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    I saw that. I'm looking at the area between 8 and 7 o'clock. It could be just the way it's angled, but there appears to be a flat spot.
    Guess you were right. Good eye! Guess I was getting a little too excited about this nice drum. I'd still hate to see it cut down.

User Info Menu

I say go for it. Out of round is useless anyway, so if this drum is gonna get played, it kinda has to be cut down.
    Can't wait for updates.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Cool, if I cut it down 2" I will have to move the lugs (drill new holes) as the top of the lugs are 2-1/2 down from the bearing edge.
    For symmetry, any cut will force you to move those lugs.
    With a new wrap, you will be the only person that knows.
    Maybe you will have something unique, for example 6 3/4 X 14.

Since you say the batter side edge is round, I wouldn't touch it...........just work the snare side.............new edges and new beds.
    I have experience in calling Gretsch for certain repair guidance and they sent me to Forks in Nashville.............they will tell you nobody knows more about Gretsch in the USA.

Not related in any way but here is a photo of my '54 Gretsch snare drum.............one of the historic 3-ply shells................

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)