Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Gold Color/Paint Over Chrome Hardware ???

User Info Menu

Question DIY Gold Color/Paint Over Chrome Hardware ???

Just curious ... Has anyone ever tried to DIY spray gold their chrome lugs/hoops/other?

I see something like this (click link) and I'm wondering how it might work on chrome hardware ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahVbrZX6ruE

Any thoughts or insight?

User Info Menu

Default Re: DIY Gold Color/Paint Over Chrome Hardware ???

That looks like a fun project! Gold or black hardware looks nice, but I haven't done it because I lack the resources. Any operation like the one in the video, you're going to need a bit of money to invest in equipment, as well as have a good amount of space available. I just don't have a workshop to attempt it, or i'd be all over it.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

This "spray on" option seems like it's a bit less expensive ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TDtUHo5cSE

User Info Menu

just use spray paint.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Duplicolor sells several different products to customize existing chrome. One is a black chrome tint and the other gives a colored anodized look to chrome. It's available in several colors, including gold. It's all sold in spray cans and should be available at most auto parts stores like AutoZone, o'Reillys, etc..
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Man if my apartment manager caught me spraying large pieces of metal in here, she'd have kittens. Especially if it got on the walls or carpet.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Duplicolor sells several different products to customize existing chrome. One is a black chrome tint and the other gives a colored anodized look to chrome. It's available in several colors, including gold. It's all sold in spray cans and should be available at most auto parts stores like AutoZone, o'Reillys, etc..

Yes, but does it look like gold plating, or does it look like paint?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel View Post
    Yes, but does it look like gold plating, or does it look like paint?
    In theory, it would look like gold anodizing.....more like a plating than a paint. You only use it over chrome plating (or their special base coat). I've never tried the stuff before, but I'm sure there's videos or pics of it on their website or out there on the net. Might be worth checking out.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post

Granted this is their Copper Plate [Spray] Kit, but the results look pretty nice . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_0q3sRxaXM

Now if only they have a similar product for GOLD.

User Info Menu

Russ paint outside and you wont get in trouble.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CB700 View Post
    Russ paint outside and you wont get in trouble.
    That generally will cause trouble, overspray gets swept up in gentle breeze and lands on neighbours new Cadillac CTS or on his newly installed energy efficient windows...... Good idea to keep spray paint indoors unless you live in the rural country.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

This "spray on" option seems like it's a bit less expensive ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TDtUHo5cSE
    wow this just blew my mind!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    That generally will cause trouble, overspray gets swept up in gentle breeze and lands on neighbours new Cadillac CTS or on his newly installed energy efficient windows...... Good idea to keep spray paint indoors unless you live in the rural country.
    Yeah some people might not want golden windows, as cool as it sounds. One question though, wouldn't the fumes make me black out?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

So I wrote to DupliColor about their products, and this was the response I received:

9/26/2014 11:36:41 AM [Agent Note]

Thank you for contacting Dupli-Color. We appreciate your interest in our company.

No, we don't make a Gold Plate kit that's similar to Copper Plate.

I hope this helps. Thanks for choosing Dupli-Color and have a great day!

Sincerely,

Roger

-------------------------------------------
    Product Support
    9/26/2014 10:44:33 AM [Customer Note]

Hello:

I was wondering if you offer a Gold Plate Kit similar to your "Copper Plate Kit" - to achieve a gold plate finish.

I look forward to hearing from you.

I dunno ... I guess I at least expected a suggestion about, perhaps, how to achieve a nice gold (plate like) finish with another product of theirs - as opposed to a simple "no, we don't."

Oh Well

User Info Menu

I've got the answer for you......no. Did you see the pro spray gun in the dust free booth and excellent spray technique that guy had? Even if you paid that him to do it, it still wouldn't last. IT'S SPRAY PAINT! As soon as you hit your drum it will come off. It's durability on stands will be just as bad. If you want to ruin your gear to find out, then keep us posted, I'd love to see it. There's a reason why the real stuff costs so much. If it was just spray on everyone would have it.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    I've got the answer for you......no. Did you see the pro spray gun in the dust free booth and excellent spray technique that guy had? Even if you paid that him to do it, it still wouldn't last. IT'S SPRAY PAINT! As soon as you hit your drum it will come off. It's durability on stands will be just as bad. If you want to ruin your gear to find out, then keep us posted, I'd love to see it. There's a reason why the real stuff costs so much. If it was just spray on everyone would have it.
    So you're saying that the techniques shown in that and other related videos don't work at all? If that were true, and the paint comes off with vibration or use, then how could it possibly last on performance auto rims and parts? These companies would be out of business if the products and effects were as weak as you surmise, don'tcha think?

User Info Menu

So you're saying that the techniques shown in that and other related videos don't work at all? If that were true, and the paint comes off with vibration or use, then how could it possibly last on performance auto rims and parts? These companies would be out of business if the products and effects were as weak as you surmise, don'tcha think?
    Auto rims are usually powder coated. Also, if a surface is prepped, it will take paint better. I painted a snare drum a few years ago. An old chrome entry level steel snare. I spent a few hours scuffing up the shell so the paint would stick and hold through repeated sandings. I couldn't really get the lugs to scuff up very well, and it was a ***** to paint and sand them, because the paint just didn't stick. That helmet looks really cool, but remember, that helmet will spend most of it's life sitting on a mount, and very occasionally be placed upon someone's head. It won't be moved very much. You can do some pretty slick stuff with rattle cans. Just be even, an be prepared to do multiple thin coats. Good luck OP
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Just curious ... Has anyone ever tried to DIY spray gold their chrome lugs/hoops/other?

I see something like this (click link) and I'm wondering how it might work on chrome hardware ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahVbrZX6ruE

Any thoughts or insight?

My first thought was. All that spraying and no runs?
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Wow!
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 09-27-2014 at 08:23 PM. Reason: I
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Like I said, post pics when your done. Can't wait to see this debacle. Also, in the future, if you don't want to hear the truth don't post a question in a freakin forum. Oh, and don't forget to bring your ID, you're gonna need it to buy all that gold paint.

User Info Menu

I have used some of the DupliColor rattle can products. It chips easily, and will fade quickly in long term sunlight exposure (automotive use). As with anything like this, you have to be very, very good at coating the entire surface evenly.

User Info Menu

Like I said, post pics when your done. Can't wait to see this debacle. Also, in the future, if you don't want to hear the truth don't post a question in a freakin forum. Oh, and don't forget to bring your ID, you're gonna need it to buy all that gold paint.
    Dude, step off of your pedestal and stop thinking you're the first/last word in anything.

I asked a question and was looking for opinions and insight.
    You provided yours and I posed some follow-up thoughts/questions.

I'm sorry if you were offended by someone questioning your self-gratifying/delusional quasi wisdom.

User Info Menu

Dude, step off of your pedestal and stop thinking you're the first/last word in anything.

I asked a question and was looking for opinions and insight.
    You provided yours and I posed some follow-up thoughts/questions.

I'm sorry if you were offended by someone questioning your self-gratifying/delusional quasi wisdom.
    My pedestal? Dude? I gave you good advice and you still tried to talk yourself into spray painting your hardware. No matter how many "quasi" big words you use I'm never going think your smart. Not now.
    Last edited by SunDog; 09-28-2014 at 05:41 PM.

User Info Menu

My pedestal? Dude? I gave you good advice and you still tried to talk yourself into spray painting your hardware. No matter how many "quasi" big words you use I'm never going think your smart. Not now.
    Hey, no skin off my back, Skippy . . . cuz at this point, I'm never going to think you're anything more than a complete *sshole.

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by CaptainMarvel; 09-28-2014 at 07:05 PM.

User Info Menu

And this is where the ride ends and gets locked. Good luck OP. Try it and post pics.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi