Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whiplash Movie

User Info Menu

Default Whiplash Movie

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Whiplash

looks interesting....................not too many "drummer" movies...................looking forward to seeing it.

User Info Menu

^^^^what he said, interesting to see a movie about a drummer.
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

I'd have quit everything if i ever experienced being "taught" in the fashion the "instructor" used...

User Info Menu

There's no crying in drumming.

At the same time, had I taken lessons (which, thankfully, I didn't) from someone like that, they would still be looking for him.

User Info Menu

Holy cow. What a teachable moment. I would tell my kids if a music if any teacher ever slaps them across the face...HIT. THEM. BACK. Make'em wish like they'd never laid a hand on you. I'll pay their bail money.

Looks like a good movie though...
    Last edited by porkpieguy; 09-30-2014 at 02:01 PM.

User Info Menu

I think he was dragging.....
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    Holy cow. What a teachable moment. I would tell my kids if a music if any teacher ever slaps them across the face...HIT. THEM. BACK. Make'em wish like they'd never laid a hand on you. I'll pay their bail money.
    Those were my thoughts too. Looks like the movie is sending the wrong message.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Whiplash Movie

I know its an old thread but, i just watched this movie and in the i love how Miles Teller's character strives and pushes to learn. Such a good movie, the music is great too back when it was real Jazz.

User Info Menu

I don't agree with the teaching style but i do appreciate the perseverance and hard work that he did in order to achieve the goal. I guess the movie had to be dramatic with the drumming in order to be entertaining lol

User Info Menu

There is another movie coming out and it is about a coach who has the same kind of approach on his kids. He more or less bullies them cause they are just young kids and he is a grown man.

User Info Menu

^yeah they even made a television series about bad coaches too

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by js218 View Post
    ^^^^what he said, interesting to see a movie about a drummer.
    There's always Sal Mineo as Gene Krupa...1959.
    I'll bet Rick went to that one!
    Last edited by slinglander; 07-14-2015 at 08:38 AM. Reason: added comment
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    There is another movie coming out and it is about a coach who has the same kind of approach on his kids. He more or less bullies them cause they are just young kids and he is a grown man.
    Whats the name of the movie?

User Info Menu

I think it's called: Every high school football coach in existence. I played for one.

User Info Menu

I had to pick my son up early today because he had a fever. I watched this film while he took a nap. Wow. I believe in having high expectations and pushing people to be better than they think they can be, but that instructor was way over the line. Great film.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Wow. I believe in having high expectations and pushing people to be better than they think they can be, but that instructor was way over the line..
    Yup, abusive is never an acceptable teaching method.

User Info Menu

It's just a movie. If the instructor was Mr. Nice Guy, no one would have probably watched it. All the drama is just for effect.

Besides, does any one really think there are drum instructors in the world like what was portrayed in this film? If there are, I bet they don't have many students. Just sayin'.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I've watched a lot of crappy movies in my boredom and there aren't many that I've turned off or walked out on.

This was one of them.

I'm glad I didn't pay to see it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NewTricks View Post
    I've watched a lot of crappy movies in my boredom and there aren't many that I've turned off or walked out on.

This was one of them.

I'm glad I didn't pay to see it.
    Don't feel bad.... I didn't much care for it either.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

You might find this surprising but I thought it was actually very good. But any more than I watch blood and gore movies where they torture people, I also didn't find it entertaining to see a teacher abuse his student. I think it's because some people out there really do this stuff (the coaches were referenced earlier) and this gives their sick minds some justification for their actions.

User Info Menu

As a movie I thought it was good as well. Obviously the abuse was disturbing, but that was the story being told and I don't think it detracted from the quality of the film, the acting, script, soundtrack, etc...

Oddly enough the Charlie Parker Jo Jones cymbal story that the story is based around and is mentioned in the film several times is not accurate. By all accounts of people there Jones through a cymbal at the ground by Parker's feet in frustration to startle Parker. Still not great, but no physical threat by any means.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Besides, does any one really think there are drum instructors in the world like what was portrayed in this film?
    I began my music education playing trombone in the 5th grade.
    Our band teacher, Mr. Hill, while not as bad as the guy in the movie, was a total bada$$ and stayed on our backs all the time.
    He was verbally intimidating but not physical.
    He would get loud and use language that would not be tolerated in today's public schools.
    He had a terrible temper and I witnessed the destruction of a few of his own instruments when he would go off on our class...............literally beat the hell out of a desk one day with a trumpet.
    We won competition every year, but very few of the kids had respect for him beyond the success of those competitions.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Also, Parker didn't go home, lock himself in his room and practice until his lips bled. He sought out other players, watched, listened, immersed himself in the music to get that good. That's what jazz guys do. The movie missed out on that message.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    There's always Sal Mineo as Gene Krupa...1959.
    I'll bet Rick went to that one!

What are you implying there, Sling?