Thread: Bass drum tunin

User Info Menu

Default Bass drum tunin

my bass drum sounds like absolute horror compared to anything else iv heard. how do you tune a bass drum.. reso tighter then batter? I want a nice deep thud. it but be just my head tho.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    my bass drum sounds like absolute horror compared to anything else iv heard. how do you tune a bass drum.. reso tighter then batter? I want a nice deep thud. it but be just my head tho.
    Do you muffle your bass? Like a pillow or something... If not, you should try it, and if you have a vented resonant head, you can move the pillow around, let it touch the batter head, or the res head, or both... experiment with it. If you're already using muffling, try differing tightness on both you're batter and reso.

User Info Menu

yeah its already muffled so i just experiment with that

User Info Menu

My reso is just tight enough to get the wrinkles out ( good starting point )and the batter is tighter than that but I keep tweeking it around until I get the sound I want. A good batter head helps alot too. I got the EMAD

User Info Menu

im gonna get the superkick II, the aqaurian isnt that popular tho so.. its hard to find a store that will order it for me

User Info Menu

Ok Laf here is my method.

I use no muffling, except what is on my head(super kick 2 pack).

BATTER HEAD
    I start with my Batter head, with the head off, I make sure the bearing edge is clean and free from defects, I also clean the head, were the head meets the bearing edge, then I seat the head, and hand tighten all the lugs, then in a criss cross motion I start tuning at a 1/4 turn at a time, normally it turns out to be about 1 fill turn.

RESONANT HEAD
    Basically the exact same procedure as batter only the reso head is about 1 1/2 full turns, this is what gives me a deep, punchy kick with a great amount of sustain.

Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

My bass drum has a very tight resonant head (so if you tapped it it booms). In comparison, the beater head is not as tight, but it's tight enough to get response out of it.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

thanks PD, when i get my superkick, i will pout it to the test.

User Info Menu

How do you POUT something to the test?

User Info Menu

well you just cry until it works i guess