Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remo Drum Heads

User Info Menu

Default Remo Drum Heads

What Remo heads do you use? I just ordered pinstripes for my toms and an ambassador x for my snare. I've used the ambassador x before and love the sound you get once the head's worked in.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Remo Drum Heads

Clear Emps on my toms
    Coated Ambo on my snare

User Info Menu

Pins on all my toms. Assorted snare heads depending on what snare I'm using at the time. Am currently in love with the Evans EC1 reverse dot snare head though on my Mapex Black Panther stainless steel 14" x 6".

Have one on my 13" x 3" Pearl steel piccolo auxiliary snare as well. Ambassador X on my Ludwig 14" x 8" Supralite. A Remo controlled sound reverse dot coated snare head on my Pearl Vision maple. A Remo coated Ambassador on my Custom Classic maple snare. A Remo diplomat on my vintage 14" x 5" Ludwig Acrolite.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I love remo heads. I am currently running coated ambassadors on all batters and clear ambassadors as resos. fiberskin on the bass reso. nice sound that can be muffled and tuned for many applications. I sometimes swap out the tom heads for clear emps. Nice and crisp with low end.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Used Remo single ply coated on snare and toms for years. They sound great and are super versatile.

User Info Menu

I'm open to options on bass and snare heads.
    For my toms however, I have found nothing that sounds as good as clear Emps.............great click-attack followed by clean warm tone.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Coated Ambassador X on my snare over clear Ambassador snare side. Clear Vintage Emps on my toms over the DW stock resos (probably clear Ambassador). Bass drum has a clear PS3 with DW stock reso head (similar to an ebony Ambassador).

Seriously considering going with clear CS black dot heads on my toms when I replace the Vintages...we'll see!

Rich
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

For toms 10,12,15,16 clear Emperor batters over clear Ambassador resos.. On my snares 10x6, 13x3.5, 14x6 coated PS3 with dot over Amb. snare side. Kick drum is clear PS3 batter and Fiberskyn 3 Amb. weight reso.
    Last edited by SunDog; 10-07-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

I like Remo heads. Out of my four acoustic kits, three have Remo batter/reso head combo on the toms.

'67 Ludwig toms: coated Ambass/ebony Abass
    snare: vintage coated Ambass/clear Abass snare reso

Gretsch USA Custom: clear vintage Emps/clear Ambass

'97 Premier APK: clear pinstripe/clear Ambass:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    Pins on all my toms. Assorted snare heads depending on what snare I'm using at the time. Am currently in love with the Evans EC1 reverse dot snare head though on my Mapex Black Panther stainless steel 14" x 6".

Have one on my 13" x 3" Pearl steel piccolo auxiliary snare as well. Ambassador X on my Ludwig 14" x 8" Supralite. A Remo controlled sound reverse dot coated snare head on my Pearl Vision maple. A Remo coated Ambassador on my Custom Classic maple snare. A Remo diplomat on my vintage 14" x 5" Ludwig Acrolite.
    How are you liking the pinstripes?

-Mike

User Info Menu

My Premier APK had clear Pinstripe batters over clear Ambo reso's. I switched out the clear Pins for clear Evans EC2's....so I put the clear Pins on the Pearl Export kit I fixed up. They sound great on the Exports, but I'm still looking for that "sweet setup" on the Premier.

My Maxwin kit has coated Emps on the batters and clear Emps on the reso's. I love the sound I get from that combo. The bass has a coated PS3 batter and a ported Fiberskyn PS3 on the reso. It sounds nice, but it's a little on the "boomy" side.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    How are you liking the pinstripes?
    I like them a lot. This is my second set put on this kit. I prefer that rock music thud which is easy to achieve with the natural muting action that pins offer with their built in muffling ring and thicker head. With the muting action they provide, I can tune the reso's up medium tight in order to still let the toms sing without them being boingy. And at the same time not sounding like your hitting cardboard. Plus they're very durable.
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Emperor ebony X on toms and snare clear ambs on bottom and CS black dots on concert toms.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Coated Emps over Ambs on toms
    Coated Emp on my 8" mahogany snare
    Coated PS3 on my 5" Acrolite snare
    PS3 front & back on kick
    Gretsch Renown
    Ludwig Supraphonic
    Zildjian
    15”, 16”, 18” K Dark Thin
    16”, 18” K Sweet
    16" A Custom EFX
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    22” 60’s A Ride
    14" 50's Thin hats
    14” K Sweet hats

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of ambassadors (regular or x) on the snare. My Saturn kit currently has clear pinstripes over clear ambassadors on the toms and powerstroke 3s on the bass. The Gretsch kit that somebody I don't even know is so kind to let me use has coated over clear ambassadors on the toms. I'm not loyal to Remo by any stretch, but I don't have any complaints either.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    My Premier APK had clear Pinstripe batters over clear Ambo reso's. I switched out the clear Pins for clear Evans EC2's....so I put the clear Pins on the Pearl Export kit I fixed up. They sound great on the Exports, but I'm still looking for that "sweet setup" on the Premier.
    I was going to go this route too after my clear Pins cycle through the normal wear and tear. Clear EC2/Clear G1 on my Gretsch Renown '57 sound really good. I think I like the clear EC2s better than Remo Pins but the clear Emps/clear Ambass combo works for the rest of my kits.

User Info Menu

Update: well, the seller cancelled the order for the heads.
    I was really looking forward to the heads. I'll probably end up getting them from long and mcquade. They're quite pricey there. $19 for the 12", $20 for the 13", and $23 for the 16".

-Mike

User Info Menu

Update: well, the seller cancelled the order for the heads.
    I was really looking forward to the heads. I'll probably end up getting them from long and mcquade. They're quite pricey there. $19 for the 12", $20 for the 13", and $23 for the 16".
    I found them $3.00 cheaper:

GC:
    $16.49 for the 12"
    $17.49 for the 13"
    $20.99 for the 16"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I found them $3.00 cheaper:

GC:
    $16.49 for the 12"
    $17.49 for the 13"
    $20.99 for the 16"
    It would be nice having a guitar center in canada.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I was going to go this route too after my clear Pins cycle through the normal wear and tear. Clear EC2/Clear G1 on my Gretsch Renown '57 sound really good. I think I like the clear EC2s better than Remo Pins but the clear Emps/clear Ambass combo works for the rest of my kits.
    I like the batter heads fairly tight for stick feel. When I first installed the Pins on my old APK, it sounded very full and had TONS of sustain. From 20' in front of the stage, it sounded awesome....perfect in fact. From on stage, it was just too much ringing. I decided to try the EC's out and immediately fell in love with the controlled sound from behind the kit......until I heard a friend playing my kit from out in front of the stage again. Then they sounded very dead.

From my experience, the EC2's sounded almost identical to Pins with Moongel. The Pins sound great on my Export kit, more controlled than on the APK, but the Export has wrapped shells.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Oh man...I thought you were here in the U.S???

User Info Menu

Nope. I guess I should change my location

-Mike

User Info Menu

Used Remo for years . Switched to Evans and havnt looked back. Just really like the sound I get with my frosted EC2 heads. Nothing wrong with Remo, just like Evans better.
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

Mail order on-line. You don't need a brick and mortar store to buy heads. Most stores ship for free. I'm sure there are music stores in Canada that ships goods within the country, probably some for free. Nantel Music, All You Need Music, La music, Axe music, Long & McQuade, Tom lee music, Cosmo Music, Steves Music, Amazon, Music Center Canada. There are many more. Go on-line and check it out.
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Well I got the heads!......An interesting combination though...I went to my local music store tonight and looked at the heads. They ended up having a limited amount of heads so I ended up getting: clear emps for the 12 and 16 and a pinstripe for the 13. It would have been nice having one type of head, but since I really wouldn't be able to get heads any time soon, I just went for it. the pinstripe on the 13 is actually a positive because I use it as a floor tom tuned low.

-Mike