Thread: Noob help

User Info Menu

Default Noob help

Hi

Nooby here, so here goes, I have a snare drum which I just purchased for my Son and I have noticed that the strainer/throw off is naff, can I drill holes in the metal of the snare to fit a new one as the drum is a cheapo generic item and I cant find a exact replacement, nor would I want to as the quality is poor on the original one.

Cheers
    Last edited by lomax512; 10-08-2014 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Im an idiot, lol

User Info Menu

Default Re: Noob help

Welcome to Drum Chat, lomax512.

Your descriptions are a bit confusing. The Hi Hat is a stand that holds your top/bottom cymbals that aren't used for crashes and are much smaller than a ride cymbal.

A strainer/throw off is used on a snare drum.

Naff is not a part of my U.S. vocabulary.

For me, more description is needed as well as pictures to show what the problem is.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Perhaps you are talking about the clutch on the HiHats? The clutch is the two part device that gets inserted in the hole of the top cymbal, which in turn is placed on the HiHat rod and either there is a screw or something else to secure it in place so there is a space between the top and bottom HiHat. Is this what you are referring to?
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Sorry guys I am being completely retarded, I meant Snare drum not HiHat, the srainer/throw off has broke.

Jeez I need a drink, lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lomax512 View Post
    Sorry guys I am being completely retarded, I meant Snare drum not HiHat, the srainer/throw off has broke.

Jeez I need a drink, lol
    That helps. Pictures would also help to assess the damage. But I believe there are generic replacements that would suffice or in some cases if you can crank the strainer components enough to make the snares function, just leave it as that. No reason to turn off the snares.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    That helps. Pictures would also help to assess the damage. But I believe there are generic replacements that would suffice or in some cases if you can crank the strainer components enough to make the snares function, just leave it as that. No reason to turn off the snares.
    Hi

Its the mechanicals in the strainer have popped apart and a piece is missing (second hand kit) and it wont even hold on properly, so as I have a snare that is a metal construction I was hoping fitting a new one would be OK as I may have to drill a hole or two, would that be OK to drill holes and if so what strainer should I get (reasonable price wise)

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat lomax. Go to the Gibraltar website. You'll find generic snare strainers, throw-offs and the snare butt-ends to replace anything on your snare. You might have to drill out new holes if the Gibraltar replacements won't line up with the holes on the snare. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Naff= weak/lame/crappy for all you yanks...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Lomax, be aware that the cost of a snare throw, in some cases, may be more than the snare drum itself! Maybe better to get another, cheap drum instead, unless you feel the need to fix stuff on your own. Otherwise, just measure the holes' center to center and use that when searching for a replacement. Usually the specs for new throws list the hole spacing.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Yeah the throw maybe dearer but the main thing was, would drilling holes alter the sound in any way, but it seems not, so off to that popular bidding website to see if I can grab a bargain as I cant seem to find any UK sellers on the Gibraltar site and I wanna keep cost down.

Thanks for all your help and replies

User Info Menu

I bought the gibraltar sc-dsto. When you drill the holes, keep the bottom one. Just drill the top one so that the snare strainer/ throw off will be in the same spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lomax512 View Post
    I cant seem to find any UK sellers on the Gibraltar site and I wanna keep cost down.

Thanks for all your help and replies
    Ahhh.....Didn't know you hail from the UK. I just assume you're are in the U.S. unless indicated otherwise in the "location" column.

User Info Menu

FYI: Lomax, go online & put in search for drum stores UK. Gibraltar is on the biggest sites.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/