Thread: in-ear monitor setup

User Info Menu

Default in-ear monitor setup

Hey everyone

just after a bit of advice

i've brought some in-ear monitors for gigging as the stage sound is crazy when we gig and my ears have took some damage over the years, i've tried asking the lads to turn down but you know what it's like and i've tried the ear buds but that takes too much away from the sound, so i thought i'd give these a go.

the setup i'm thinking is

vocals, guitars bass and bass drum FOH will come from a spare monitor mix from the desk to my sub mixer so i can control the volume then have 1 over head to pick up my drums going into the sub mixer so i can control the volume for that.

i read something about a compressor but i can control that issue from my sub mixer.

do you guys think that sounds ok?

cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: in-ear monitor setup

Almost exactly what I do. It will work very well. My ears love me, especially at the end of a 4-hour small-bar, gig.

The only tough part is being able to hear your bandmates when they want to talk to JUST the band. We use 'talk-back' mics to communicate with each other and these of course, don't go out through the mains.

Tex

User Info Menu

I like the sounds of that.. Tex's point about hearing your mates is the only minor issue...but you'll be able hear them after the gig!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Almost exactly what I do. It will work very well. My ears love me, especially at the end of a 4-hour small-bar, gig.

The only tough part is being able to hear your bandmates when they want to talk to JUST the band. We use 'talk-back' mics to communicate with each other and these of course, don't go out through the mains.

Tex
    that's good to hear, at least i know it's going to work.

i did wonder about communicating on stage, although i think we'll be ok as we normally get by with looks/gestures etc..i'll have to see.

cheers

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Hey Mark, are you singing while you play?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    Hey Mark, are you singing while you play?
    yes, just harmonies though, i'm no Roger Taylor

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I think that this sounds good.

Before I started using an Aviom system, I just used a small 4-channel mixer:

Channel 1: Click track/metronome
    Channel 2: Line out from the soundboard
    Channel 3: Bass guitar (maybe kick drum? I can't remember...)
    Channel 4: Ambient mic

I think what you have will work just fine.

User Info Menu

I think that this sounds good.

Before I started using an Aviom system, I just used a small 4-channel mixer:

Channel 1: Click track/metronome
    Channel 2: Line out from the soundboard
    Channel 3: Bass guitar (maybe kick drum? I can't remember...)
    Channel 4: Ambient mic

I think what you have will work just fine.
    great, thanks for the advice.

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Tried this out in principle last night with the band using ear bud headphones, the sound was amazing, the instruments were so clear, i was hearing the band like never before, can't wait until i get my custom in-ears now, The guitarist is going down the same route too, he's had to get the wireless pack so he's having to spend a lot more than me.

i have my own monitor channel so i can set my levels how i like,

on the drums all i had was the kick mic'd and a SM57 near the snare, that was enough to pick up the Hats/snare/toms/ride and crash's, i do have the over head mic to try at different places around the kit but i had enough form the SM57.

vocals and guitars and bass was in my mix too, it felt just like playing along to a record, and that was just using cheap bud headphones.

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Awesome! I'm glad that it worked for you. I swear if you can get a decent IEM setup dialed in, you won't miss the wedges at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    Tried this out in principle last night with the band using ear bud headphones, the sound was amazing, the instruments were so clear, i was hearing the band like never before, can't wait until i get my custom in-ears now, The guitarist is going down the same route too, he's had to get the wireless pack so he's having to spend a lot more than me.

on the drums all i had was the kick mic'd and a SM57 near the snare, that was enough to pick up the Hats/snare/toms/ride and crash's, i do have the over head mic to try at different places around the kit but i had enough form the SM57.

vocals and guitars and bass was in my mix too, it felt just like playing along to a record, and that was just using cheap bud headphones.
    Yay! Glad its worked out for you!

User Info Menu

Awesome! I'm glad that it worked for you. I swear if you can get a decent IEM setup dialed in, you won't miss the wedges at all.
    yep, we have 4 wedges, that takes up a lot of car and stage footprint space.

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Yeah I made a post about in ear monitors awhile ago. I have been using a Sure SB300 I believe... our singer bought it and never uses it so I have been using it... I absolutely LOVE it and HATE using wedges now. I feel like my playing is better, lighter, and more on point as I can hear much better and can control it much better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post

Outstanding and congrats! Your ears are going to thank you every night.

Tex

User Info Menu

FWIW....

Shure is having a Webinar on 10/27 called How to Choose and Use Personal Monitor Systems

Shure has added a new Personal Monitor System to its lineup, the PSMŽ300. PSM300 has two offerings, one easy-to-use system designed for entry-level users and a professional system with advanced features and performance.

While the majority of musicians and monitor engineers are clear on the advantages of personal monitors, the proper ways to configure a personal monitor system are not as well known. Since no two situations are identical, it’s up to the user to decide how to use the system, from selecting the right system, to purchasing the right number of components, to making connections.

In this one-hour webinar, Gino Sigismondi, Shure Systems Support Manager and author of Selection and Operation of Personal Monitor Systems, will briefly review the PSM300 and will cover the critical aspects of configuring a personal monitor system, including tips on successfully transitioning from stage monitors to in-ears, and supplemental equipment that can enhance the experience.

Whether you are a musician considering the purchase of a personal monitor system, a sound system installer for houses of worship, or a sound engineer working with live music, this webinar will arm you with everything you need to know about using personal monitors.

There's a 10am and a 2pm time slot and you must preregister.

Go to their Blog or website for more information.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Hey Mark, glad it all worked out for you! I've been trying to sort out my own IEM set up for a gig next week, looking to go down the same road!
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

iem's working brilliantly, very impressed, i've had to double my Kick mic and have one going direct into my mixer and i have the snare going direct into my mixer with an overhead going into the main desk so the others can pick up some drums in there mix, we tried putting everything going in to the main desk but we couldn't get it to sound right for some reason, i do fell pretty isolated though that's the only thing i don't like about them but i guess it'll just take some getting used to.

I play lead Drums