Thread: Playing with the click

User Info Menu

Default Playing with the click

Hey drumists
    I'm in a band that is exploring loops. I need a metronome that I with can use live with no problems. It's gotta work fast. So what do you guys use for a click? Suggestions?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Playing with the click

you can get pretty good free clicks for smart phones, so if you can attach that to a monitor/loud sound producing thing that is probably your best and cheapest option.

most important is that it have a tap function, so you tap the beat and the metronome tells you the time...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    you can get pretty good free clicks for smart phones, so if you can attach that to a monitor/loud sound producing thing that is probably your best and cheapest option.

most important is that it have a tap function, so you tap the beat and the metronome tells you the time...
    And keep your phone charged!

I use Metronome Beats, a free app. It has lots of neat features. I especially like the ability to have it automatically stop after a number of measure of my choosing. I don't use loops or tracks, but it helps start the song at the right tempo, which is more than half the battle, IMO.

Also, set your phone to Airplane Mode or some random text or phone call will make your performance interesting, and likely not in a good way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeatoopis View Post
    Hey drumists
    I'm in a band that is exploring loops. I need a metronome that I with can use live with no problems. It's gotta work fast. So what do you guys use for a click? Suggestions?
    I have a very strong opinion about this question. I've played with loops and backing tracks live, and in my opinion having the metronome and loops come separate devices is a huge mistake. No two metronomes keep exactly the same time. I've actually seen this done - we took two identical professional metronomes, started them at the same time, and within 45 seconds the two clicks were flamming and starting to get off from each other. If you are trying to line up a loop and a metronome between two different devices, I guarantee you at some point you're going to have trouble getting them to stay in sync. If it's a short loop it won't be that noticeable, but if the loop continues for a few seconds you can get off. I've seen shows where a keyboard player is launching loops and each time the drums and the loop start together, but are off from each other after a few seconds.Your best bet is to figure out a way to hear the click from the same device that is launching the loop.

So, there are a few ways to combine the two things. First, most programmable trigger pads (like the ones made by Roland and Alesis) have a built in metronome. So, when you're creating the loop, you can set the loop tempo and sync that with the built-in metronome in the trigger unit, so the unit will actually quantize the signal to trigger with the click. (What that means is if you're playing along to the click from the unit and you trigger a loop hitting a pad on the unit but you hit it early, the unit will actually wait for the downbeat of the metronome before starting to play the loop, so it will all be in time together). A lot of bands that use varied loops but want to keep a live feel will use this method, program all the loops in to a trigger unit and then the drummer will use the metronome that's built in to the device.

The other way to accomplish this is to build all your loops in to a stereo backing track with a click panned hard to one channel. Then when you're playing a show, you start the backing track, count in the song, and then you're listening to the click that's on the track and all the loops come in at the right spots, and in time. Pros for this is there's less room for error, cons are that you have to play the song the same way every time, or make a new track if you want to make any changes to the song. The vast majority of bands that use loops live will make a backing track - it's easier to set up and less likely to go wrong live.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

I use an App too!
    It is called "Tempo" and it's a free and a full version available, I use the free one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dt344 View Post
    I have a very strong opinion about this question. I've played with loops and backing tracks live, and in my opinion having the metronome and loops come separate devices is a huge mistake. No two metronomes keep exactly the same time. I've actually seen this done - we took two identical professional metronomes, started them at the same time, and within 45 seconds the two clicks were flamming and starting to get off from each other. If you are trying to line up a loop and a metronome between two different devices, I guarantee you at some point you're going to have trouble getting them to stay in sync. If it's a short loop it won't be that noticeable, but if the loop continues for a few seconds you can get off. I've seen shows where a keyboard player is launching loops and each time the drums and the loop start together, but are off from each other after a few seconds.Your best bet is to figure out a way to hear the click from the same device that is launching the loop.

So, there are a few ways to combine the two things. First, most programmable trigger pads (like the ones made by Roland and Alesis) have a built in metronome. So, when you're creating the loop, you can set the loop tempo and sync that with the built-in metronome in the trigger unit, so the unit will actually quantize the signal to trigger with the click. (What that means is if you're playing along to the click from the unit and you trigger a loop hitting a pad on the unit but you hit it early, the unit will actually wait for the downbeat of the metronome before starting to play the loop, so it will all be in time together). A lot of bands that use varied loops but want to keep a live feel will use this method, program all the loops in to a trigger unit and then the drummer will use the metronome that's built in to the device.

The other way to accomplish this is to build all your loops in to a stereo backing track with a click panned hard to one channel. Then when you're playing a show, you start the backing track, count in the song, and then you're listening to the click that's on the track and all the loops come in at the right spots, and in time. Pros for this is there's less room for error, cons are that you have to play the song the same way every time, or make a new track if you want to make any changes to the song. The vast majority of bands that use loops live will make a backing track - it's easier to set up and less likely to go wrong live.
    This is great info. I played in a band for 5 years that had no bass player. All the bass parts were programmed on a sequencer. I tried using a separate metronome and it never stayed in sync with the sequencer. So we moved the sequencer over next to my kit and I ran it through a small mixer and used the click from it. Also if you think you're going to play to a click without headphones good luck. I tried that, as soon as the band kicked in I couldn't hear the click, and you don't want the audience hearing it either. Get a good set of headphones.

User Info Menu

I'm liking this advice. I've done this as well (I made myself backing tracks as I attempted to sing and play guitar). One thing that you can do is after you have panned the click to one channel, you can actually put in auditory cues as well. Instead of explaining them, here's a great video showing the use of auditory cues being used playing drums:

If you are just wanted to use a click (without backing tracks), I use a Boss DB-90:

I've actually sync'ed it up live while doing loops via laptop. I did this by using the footswitch (which I've put right beside of my kick drum pedal). It's pretty accurate if you ask me:

I put orange tape on it so I can see it.

I'm hoping our church starts using loops soon. We've done it a little, and it's tons of fun.

Another thought: Some folks are perfectly fine using a free app for a phone or ipad, but when I'm playing to a congregation to 500+ members each week, I don't want to risk a glitch in my metronome because my device decided to update Candy Crush or something weird. I like having a separate metronome because it's designated to do one job and one job only (unlike a phone). This is just me though....

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by porkpieguy; 10-27-2014 at 09:13 AM.

User Info Menu

I use Tempo and set my phone to 'airplane' mode right before the gig starts. Saves the battery and keeps me from getting calls/texts/etc during the gig. What I like about this app is that I set it to only run the set tempo for 4 bars and then it automatically shuts off. So, while the vocalist is talking to the crowd, I set the tempo, listen to the beat for 4 measures and then it shuts off. Gives me a great starting point for the song, while allowing the rawness of live music to show through once we get going.

Works for us anyway.

Tex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post

I've actually sync'ed it up live while doing loops via laptop. I did this by using the footswitch (which I've put right beside of my kick drum pedal). It's pretty accurate if you ask me:
    How'd you sync the click with the loops out of the laptop? Is the footswitch acting as the tempo tap, or moving forward through a set list of pre-set tempos?

I love learning about other people's set ups for incorporating electronics, no two are ever alike.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

How'd you sync the click with the loops out of the laptop? Is the footswitch acting as the tempo tap, or moving forward through a set list of pre-set tempos?

I love learning about other people's set ups for incorporating electronics, no two are ever alike.

I already knew what the BPMs were for the song, so I'd set the BPMs on my metronome. The foot switch is tricky - it doesn't start when you press the pedal; it starts with you take the foot OFF the pedal! Before the loop even started, I set the BPMs on the metronome and put my foot on the pedal. I'd wait for the "1" beat and take my foot off and it would be sync'ed up. If it didn't work, I'd quickly stop the metronome my pressing the pedal again, and then trying it again. If I didn't get it the first time, I'd definitely get it the second time. I'd let it ride sometimes if it wasn't perfect, but I could get it really close most of the time. It does take a little practice.

Another thing about using the metronome and a on/off pedal as the switch is that if you are going for a big "trashcan ending," you need to let to press it before the end of the song while you are playing. I usually would hit the pedal on a snare hit if possible.

It can be tricky, but with some practice, you can get it.