Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Regret to Get Thread

User Info Menu

Default The Regret to Get Thread

Im sure you've been there before. Knee jerk but not so well thought out purchase... overly expensive but not so needed purchase... bought something out of impatience then something better came along...

What have you ever bought that you've regretted and why? Is it still with you? How fast did you get rid of it or will you actually?

Mine:
    1. 18" Rezo Crash... too heavy takes a bit for it to "sing". It's gone now.

2. 22" A Custom Ride... too big not enough stick definition despite. It's gone now.

3. 14" Oriental China... something about it just doesnt sit well with me. I still have it.

4. A nice Gibraltar Boom. Its actually good but I ended up buying a rack.

5. My Rack. Shoulda bought a bigger one.

6. Normal Hi Hat stand. i shoulda waited for the rack and bought a legless one.

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Regret to Get Thread

For a band I was in during 1975 - 78, I bought a 4-ft. Zildjian gong..........with hindsight, I can now realize that I should have put that money into my drums at the time.
    If memory serves correctly, that gong was used at less than a dozen gigs.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I think that I've always used whatever I've bought...even if it were for just a season of my life.

Instead of buying a conga and bongo set, I should have bought a decent djembe instead. I ended up taking a hit on that set of hand percussion when I sold it. I'm thinking that if I had bought a djembe, I would have probably kept it.

I think the shortest amount of time I've ever bought then sold something was one of those small Wuhan Chinas. I never had a use for a second China. Don't really know what I was thinking.

User Info Menu

My Wife?
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Trade it for a Splash!

User Info Menu

Double bass pedals....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    My Wife?
    You'll definitely regret it if she reads this thread, LOL. It's not the initial purchase price that gets you, it's the general upkeep and maintenance.

Honestly, I rarely regret any purchases. I'm so far the opposite of impulsive that the purchase of anything is a long term, analytical process. It has to be a SMOKIN' hot deal to get me to buy anything that I haven't thought about and researched for months. Even if it's something I wanted forever. I do, on occasion, purchase things I don't really need if they are an extreme bargain. Drum wise, I would say my 22" Zildjian Z3 ride and Pearl Demon Drive pedal are 2 examples. I don't regret buying them, but I didn't really need them.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 10-16-2014 at 09:33 AM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

My last pair of boots. Extremely comfortable but I hate the way they look. And I'm too much of a tightwad to replace them. And I wear boots everyday.

No regrets drum-wise.

Tex

User Info Menu

My first cymbals were a set of Zildjian ZBT 14/16/20 which I sold as soon as I could afford to replace them.

A few months later I bought another ZBT ride, This one was an 'original' ZBT, I had read (on another drum forum) that the earlier ones were hammered differently and far better than the more recent models. It wasn't. I sold it about a week later.

User Info Menu

I once bought a big no name cymbal. It sounded a bit like a gong. At the time is was a big expense for me, I didn't have much money then. I rarely used the cymbal. I should have put the money into new heads for the kit.

User Info Menu

Naw. My purchases are always well thought out. My wife says overly well thought out. Drives her crazy how much research effort I put into purchasing something. But, in the end I end up getting maximum bang for my buck. So no, never happens.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Ahhh i shouldve included my crappy Gibraltar throne. Shoulda waited for a Pork Pie.

This Pearl Demonator is soon going into this threadd as well.

User Info Menu

The only purchase regret I have is the first kit that I bought. I went dirt cheap (ddrum D2 kit with a Zildjian ZBT pack of cymbals), because I was hedging my bet - I wasn't totally sure I could become a drummer. The minute I started putting sticks to it, rhythms just naturally started coming out of me. That's when I knew that I made a mistake.

I still have the kit. One day, I would like to give it to someone who just can't afford a kit.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Fog Machine,-- used it for 2 gigs last year and have not used it since. Have not gigged either.

Drumming gloves, expensive ones too. Just too hott.

Tama silverstar drumset..ughhhhh piss poor QA.. gave it back 1 week later and GC put it right back on the shelf..LOL
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I've grown out of some purchases but I can't think of anything off hand that I regretted immediately.

User Info Menu

Some stuff need some patience and understanding. I hated my 18" A Custom China but when I discovered how to orient it angle-wise and where to strike it, it's actually very cool now.

User Info Menu

I purchased a new 5-piece Mapex Meridian Birch kit about 4 years ago. Since that time, I've started collecting snare drums, of which I now have 9.

I'm not crazy about the snare drum that came with the kit. It's my least favorite snare. I'm holding on to it though, even though I don't play it. Should I ever decide to sell the set, I will do so with the original snare drum.

User Info Menu

Gibraltar gen 1 cajon pedal. It's lousy and I only used it a few times.

OviSolutions cajon seat. I never use it and it doesn't fit my favorite cajon.

UFiP hand crash cymbal. Great, but too much for cajon. Sold it and got a cheaper Sabian splash that blends much better.

A couple of used cymbals from ebay. I should learn and quit gambling.

Sabian bar chimes. Got a great deal, but my worship leader doesn't like chimes, thus I never use them.

A plethora of sticks, rods, etc. But I never know I don't like them until I try them.

A clamp on percussion tray I never use.

I could go on a lot longer

User Info Menu

Great thread!

Evans EQ Pad. Just couldn't bring myself to tape the thing to the bass drum shell. Scrapped it and went with the DW pillow instead which has worked out great.

Zildjian 15" and 17" A Custom Cymbals. Great sound but seemed to clash with the mojeaux of the kit.

Paiste 10" Signature Splash. Always scared that someone would sit in and beat this expensive little thing to death.

Numerous percussion attachments, clamps, etc that didn't do much more than scratch drum finishes, dent and scratch stands, complicate setup, and bleed my wallet.

I too could go a lot longer ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 10-17-2014 at 08:06 AM.

User Info Menu

My dynasonic. They sound better when other people play them. But I could never get mine to work for me. And I don't want to take a huge loss on selling it, so, it just sits in the corner.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Mapex Rebel boom stands. I was trying to go cheap for my practice kit. I should have paid a few extra bucks. They are wobbly as hell.

User Info Menu

Zildjian 12" K Splash...just didn't blend with my other cymbals.

16" China (Wuhan maybe?) sounded absolutely awful.

There have been other things that I ended up not needing after a while, but those things had served their purpose already.

User Info Menu

Even though I stated that I research my buys before I purchase them, there are three occasions where I bought an item I wasn't happy with. An 8" Wuhan splash, tinny and to fast. A 12" Wuhan splash, unremarkable and not what I thought it would be. And a 12" Wuhan china, zero sustain and crappy sounding. The dangers of buying cymbals on-line without trying them out first.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    The only purchase regret I have is the first kit that I bought. I went dirt cheap (ddrum D2 kit with a Zildjian ZBT pack of cymbals), because I was hedging my bet - I wasn't totally sure I could become a drummer. The minute I started putting sticks to it, rhythms just naturally started coming out of me. That's when I knew that I made a mistake.

I still have the kit. One day, I would like to give it to someone who just can't afford a kit.
    It's a matter of perspective. I think you made a very wise choice. After all, it served its intent. What if you bought a high level kit and, 6mo later, decided you didn't like drumming? I think your idea of giving it/selling cheap to someone in need is an excellent fate for such a kit!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I once bought a Sabian AAX 16 inch Stage Crash, which is a fine cymbal. However, it takes too much force to make it "crash." I traded it in for a thin crash. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army