Thread: The stupid idea thread

User Info Menu

Default The stupid idea thread

What stupid ideas did you try out in the name of playing music?

One of the bands I was in, while we were playing out quite a bit, we had NO money. We wanted some stage lights really badly, so we bought those 500 watt work lights from a home improvement store in addition to some gels (the colored plastic film you put in front of stage lights to change color). At the beginning of an outdoor gig, we plugged them in and started to play. We were about halfway through the first song and we all started smelling burning plastic. Who would have known that a 500 watt work light would burn through a thin plastic film?

We also "made" our own PA system out of some super-huge stereo speakers. We dubbed the PA system "The Fartboxes." Geez, they looked horrible and sounded even worse. The boxes where a patchwork of various carpeted pieces of wood, chipboard box, plywood, and painted wood.

I'm sure there are more...

How about you? Share your stupid ideas in the name of music here!

User Info Menu

Default Re: The stupid idea thread

I was obsessed with Alex Van Halens deep (ridiculously) bass drums. I took my two bass drums and married them together with some steel plates inside. I drilled them for both lug patterns, took the batter lugs off one, the reso lugs off the other, and lag bolted them on. I then used some sticky back chrome automotive trim tape to hide the "seam" between the two shells, and wah la...... my very own 32" deep CB700 bass drum. Awesome!
    Last edited by SunDog; 10-17-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

I stacked a couple of Zildjian ZBT crashes to try and get a "trashier" sound. Ya, it sounded like trash alright.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    I was obsessed with Alex Van Halens deep (ridiculously) bass drums. I took my two bass drums and married them together with some steel plates inside. I drilled them for both lug patterns, took the batter lugs off one, the reso lugs off the other, and lag bolted them on. I then used some sticky back chrome automotive trim tape to hide the "seam" between the two shells, and wah la...... my very own 32" deep CB700 bass drum. Awesome!
    Awesome!

User Info Menu

One of the stupidest things I ever did was putting candles on my rack when I was playing electronic drums in a goth band. They made a mess and never stayed lit. Nowadays it would be a lot easier, safer and effective to use LED candles.
    Thumpin' Scott Comet
    Cool Cajon (Erakkustik), Nice C0cktail Kit (Gretsch Brooklyn), Peculiar Bop Kit (Whitney), Boring 5-piece Normie Kit (Yamaha)

User Info Menu

Think I'll buy a drum set.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I posted a drum cover video on DC with me wearing a cap, backwards. That one still surfaces occasionally. Thank you Rick...

Tex

User Info Menu

I put a pillow in my bass drum to muffle the sound. Not only did it end up looking stupid, it worked way too well.
    "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

Have drums, will travel.

WARNING: Practical joke-playing drummer ahead!

User Info Menu

I mentioned this in another thread once. I put T-shirts and rags all over my drums when I first started playing. Not to practice quietly but to get rid of the ring.

User Info Menu

I soldered a cracked cymbal...dumb idea. It worked for a little while...:P

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Think I'll buy a drum set.

User Info Menu

When I first started drumming, I had my hi hats at the height of my shoulders...
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I decided to hammer a gongy sounding crash. As I don't have an anvil I decided to use a concrete post. The concrete started to crumble as I hammered and the cymbal now has a 3" crack. The crack was barely visible but definitely there. I drilled a hole at one end to stop the crack, as the cymbal was vibrating a lot as I drilled I decided to flip the cymbal over so I could rest the cymbal bow against a piece of wood to reduce the vibration and guestimate the length of the crack to drill out the other end. I drilled it, turned it to check - I had drilled the hole 3 inches to the left of the first hole, unfortunately I should have drilled to the right. I forgot that when I turned it over the crack would 'move to the other side'.

User Info Menu

Me and my bassist decided to play each others instruments once.. While still playing our own. He used his headstock to play one of my crashes, while I hit hit bass strings with a drumstick...

It did not turn out as well as expected.

At all.
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    When I first started drumming, I had my hi hats at the height of my shoulders...
    Too! But the reason for this position is I can't loose the memory clamp cause my drum key is not suitable for my Stand.
    I use a Tama 605 what key will work?
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch (CR):
    20,12,10 + 14x5,5" PDP Maple/Bubinga snare
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

When i first started playing 19 years ago i thought it would be a great idea to not use the reso head on my kick drum THEN....stuff it with a pillow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlipDWfan4lyfe View Post
    When i first started playing 19 years ago i thought it would be a great idea to not use the reso head on my kick drum THEN....stuff it with a pillow.
    You might be surprised to know how many recordings were done exactly like that over the years...

User Info Menu

LEtting my guitarist at my computer to DJ at my party last Friday. he put on cake, and then, in an attempt to impress my drum teacher (40+ years playing, playing with two philharmonics next spring) with some of the longer songs from the b-side of the new daft punk album...although it was his idea that he could dj and I (and others) complained quite a bit
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    You might be surprised to know how many recordings were done exactly like that over the years...

You might be surprised to know how many of MY recordings were done exactly like that over the years..

User Info Menu

My furry drums! Didn't have any money to get proper drum covering, so I used some fake fur. Can you say resonance killer!

Check out the concert tom holders I made in wood shop, with weight lifting equipment bases.

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

crates with a pillow for a throne, that's awesome!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    crates with a pillow for a throne, that's awesome!
    Poor mans drum stool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks4drums View Post
    Poor mans drum stool.
    That's just too cool!!!!