Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lars Ulrich

User Info Menu

Default Lars Ulrich

Whats your opinion on him?I find that hes a damn fine mix of effective simple beats and insanely cool s*** too.Not my fav drummer but iv bin listening to a lot of metallica recently...

User Info Menu

love him just brought a metallica book a few days ago
    Oh tell me where your freedom lies
    The street are fields that never die.
    Deliver me from reasons why
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

yeah hes pretty good
    i just learned how to play "fuel" by metallica..
    its not too easy but its not bad at all
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Default Lars

Lars is okay but I persy like Neil Peart.

User Info Menu

lars favored his double bass pedal a little too much all he used were sixteenth notes
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

Speed & power, gotta love it. I hate the sound of his snare on the last CD, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy
    Whats your opinion on him?
    Great drummer. Needs an attitude adjustment.

User Info Menu

To be fair to him, Metallica have gone through a lot of **** recently; with one memver dying, and another suffering a breakdown, so you gotta give him a little slack. Not that I'm saying he couldn't have used such instances to make himself a stronger/better person and turned them as positive as possible, but he's not exactly had an easy life of it...

User Info Menu

wah....everyone goes through s**t whatz important is how we deal with it....my mom and dad moved out and left me alone when i was 17 then my mom charged me rent to live in my own house then sold the house out from under me...just a couple months ago my 18 month old niece that i and my wife took care of almost every day died and her step dad is now on trial for F**king murdering her and I have remained possitive and in good spirits with everyone...it's one h*ll of a struggle but if i can keep a good atitude after all that then so can Lars...and his drumming isn't THAT impressive...

User Info Menu

**** man that makes him look like an *******!And seriusly u got sum strength of character there i would neva be able to hold it together afta all that good on you man!btw hope that guy get absolutely fukd in court.and though i agree his drumming isnt amazing as such, he does make some pretty cool fills and the band gel together musically damn good!but fair points all around i ges...

User Info Menu

oh yeah...i agree...i think he is perfect for metallica and did and still does a beautiful job...he is very simplistic though and not too impressive in those regards but he plays well with the band and plays just the right things for Metallica tunes...i just don't think he could handle the complexity of say latin or jazz drumming or even some of today's metal....

User Info Menu

I don't think there are alot of rock drummers out there who can switch over to hard core jazz.

Also, those guys took so much crap from the cover CD they did that I doubt you'll ever hear them try to stretch out again in public.

I'd pay money though,to see James Hetfield cover Ella Fitgerald!

User Info Menu

.....that would be rather amusing

User Info Menu

i hate mettallica, even tho i like almost all metal bands they are god awful in my opinion, so i gotta say lars ulrich has nothing special about his playing
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

i love metallica but anyway metal is for some and not others so i get that you don`t like it a while back i woulda hated it to
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

Lars is not a bad drummer...but PA LEEEZ ! He sure loves to hear himself talk! I've never heard a drummer with such a BIG MOUTH ! And he never has anything interesting to say...Sheeeez! Clam up already !
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

He's quite full of himself. Not a modest guy.

User Info Menu

I used to love Metallica...before playing in a Metallica tribute band for 5 years...but before that, i loved them.....saw them live for the first time in '86, on the Master of Puppets tour, 6 months before Cliff Burton died....seen them numerous times since...a lot of energy, and a great show each time, but I must say this....Lars Ulrich is not a very good drummer. True, he has some very creative fills, and he definitely has his own style...but the man cannot keep a straight beat, not even consistently through one song. His meter is all over the place..fast, slow, fast, slow.....and thats just one song! And, bottom line, what is the drummer's most basic job, folks? KEEPING THE TIME!!

User Info Menu

well I used to like him and his playing. but when I became older in my drumming, and began to know some other drummers I really think he isn't that impressive at all. ok, his playing fits the music, but there are so many more things than just the way he's playing. btw absolutely hate the sound of the snare of the ST. Anger album
    (sorry for the weird english )

User Info Menu

he used a brass-shelled snare drum with a TON of reverb on it on that album....absolutely horrific.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

the only other drummer in my school adores this guy...i dunno why...like its been posted the music fits but hes a little overated
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    he used a brass-shelled snare drum with a TON of reverb on it on that album....absolutely horrific.
    not just a brass snare, but a tama bell brass snare. its like 6 inches thick. the loudest drum on the planet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    Do all brass snares sound like that, or was it just the reverb & misc. studio tricks that did that?

User Info Menu

no, the tama bell brass is a soud of its own. my pearl brass free floater is perfect.

User Info Menu

I think a LOT of it was the reverb...but at any rate, it sounded horrible.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.