Thread: Help Me Please.....

User Info Menu

Default Help Me Please.....

Can anyone explain this to me?

5/8 (5 beats per measure 8th note receives 1 beat (all common time note values double)

R L R R L R L R L L
    Count 1 2 1 2 3
    L R L L R L R L R R
    Count 1 2 1 2 3

User Info Menu

Count to 5?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    Count to 5?
    That doesn't help vinny........

User Info Menu

It 5 8th notes. It would be very logical to count to 5.

User Info Menu

I'm just not getting the whole 5/8 time thing..... The 8th note gets 1 beat, what does that mean, that's what I don't get?

User Info Menu

You count to five. It five 8th notes.
    So for example

Singles:
    R L R L R
    1 2 3 4 5

Or,

Doubles:
    RL.RL.RL.RL.RL

Sorry if im not a very good explainer.
    Hope that helps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    You count to five. It five 8th notes.
    So for example

Singles:
    R L R L R
    1 2 3 4 5

Or,

Doubles:
    RL.RL.RL.RL.RL

Sorry if im not a very good explainer.
    Hope that helps.
    Thank vinny, helps a little........

User Info Menu

Yup, it's in 5/8, so it's counted in semi quavers. But because there are 10 strokes, you're going to have to do them as minims (I think minims is the right term).
    So like Vinny said, the first paradiddle is done in two semi quavers, the L R is one semi quaver and then the last paradiddle is two semi quavers as well. BTW that's a nifty fill so I'm stealing it.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    Can anyone explain this to me?

5/8 (5 beats per measure 8th note receives 1 beat (all common time note values double)

R L R R L R L R L L
    Count 1 2 1 2 3
    L R L L R L R L R R
    Count 1 2 1 2 3
    Susan, I'm not sure what exactly you're asking. The phrase in the parenthesis is confusing me. Are you trying to play paradiddles in 5/8? Did you see this in a book or something?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Susan, I'm not sure what exactly you're asking. The phrase in the parenthesis is confusing me. Are you trying to play paradiddles in 5/8? Did you see this in a book or something?
    My teacher sent me something via e-mail and I'm trying to figure out what he wants me to do with it. It was difficult to post in a thread because he sent it to me on sheet music (.pdf file) I tried to explain it the best I could....... I guess I'll just have to ask him when I see him. I would just like to practice it before I meet with him again.

User Info Menu

(5 beats per measure 8th note receives 1 beat (all common time note values double)
    I'm pretty sure this means 5 8th notes per 1 beat.

User Info Menu

Nope... it just means that one complete measure has 5 beats in it. The 1/8th note gets one beat (in other words a 1/4 note would get 2 beats or a 1/16th note would get 1/2 beat). In DC's example, as long as the R L R R L are scored as 1/8th notes, what I have written would be one full measure with each hand counted as 1 2 3 4 5. If the R L R R L R L L R L are 1/16th notes, what I have written would be one full measure and would be counted 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5 &. Hope that helps - you can't really give an accurate accounting of what DC has written as you don't know how the sticking is being scored - whether it's 1/2, 1/4, 1/8th, 1/16th, 1/32nd or 1/64th notes - you would need to see it drafted with the actual notes.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

I want to know why he's showing her 5/8 time. IMO, it's counter-productive and just confuses beginner students. Most of them need a stronger handle on basic rhythmic notation in 4/4 before start tackling odd times. This is an old style of teaching that I just don't agree with.

Set the student up with practical beats and practical applications and make sure they have that stuff down "good" before moving on. That's my approach. Otherwise, they end up with a mish mosh of confusing notes, times, values, etc. that makes no sense to them. Sound familiar? Most of our school systems teach this way too! Is it any wonder that half of our high school graduates can't even answer basic questions like what are the 3 top branches of our government?

Don't get me started...

User Info Menu

I want to know why he's showing her 5/8 time. IMO, it's counter-productive and just confuses beginner students. Most of them need a stronger handle on basic rhythmic notation in 4/4 before start tackling odd times. This is an old style of teaching that I just don't agree with.

Set the student up with practical beats and practical applications and make sure they have that stuff down "good" before moving on. That's my approach. Otherwise, they end up with a mish mosh of confusing notes, times, values, etc. that makes no sense to them. Sound familiar? Most of our school systems teach this way too! Is it any wonder that half of our high school graduates can't even answer basic questions like what are the 3 top branches of our government?

Don't get me started...
    Well, my teacher isn't a teacher, he's just a friend of my husband's that's a drummer, he's not really qualified to teach. He's doing his best and teaches me as we go along........ Most of what I've learned is self taught, I'd like to take real lessons but they are expensive and my husband just keeps buying me CD's and DVD's telling me that I can teach myself to drum..... I was thinking about going to get a drum teacher by myself and not telling him LOL Just Kidding, I wouldn't do that....... I guess I'll just have to learn what I can and press on.......

User Info Menu

I was a little harsh. Sorry.

User Info Menu

I was a little harsh. Sorry.
    Not harsh at all........ You're right, he does does confuse me and it's probably doing me more harm than good.

User Info Menu

Yeah DC, I really wouldnt worry about that sort of stuff yet, just get the basics and intermediate stuff down nice and tight first and that stuff is just endless anyway which will keep you going for years. Really, depending on what you want to do, you may never even have to use the more technical time signatures in your drumming.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stix518 View Post
    Nope... it just means that one complete measure has 5 beats in it.
    Gah, measure, I need to get better with my music terminology