Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing from the wrist

User Info Menu

Default Playing from the wrist

So, I've been working up my arm power recently. Now what I'm trying to concentrate on is playing from the wrist. I can move around the kit pretty fluidly, the only problem is I put everything into my strokes and it really deducts from my speed. Does anyone have any tips or help for me?
    INB4PRACTICEMORE
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Get on a practice pad and keep your arms parallel to the floor. Only use your wrists (full motion) to bring up the sticks. This will force you to use your wrists only. Do this a lot so your wrists can get used to doing much of the work without the help of arm movement.

User Info Menu

good advise. i get more snap and power from the wrist more than i can by raising my arm over my head.

User Info Menu

Now this is some great advice for us beginners!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Whoah, I thourght whrist was natural. I never use my arms much at all. But id recomend this for wrist building: http://www.vicfirth.com/education/dr...ssons06LQ.html

Hope that helps!

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! It's coming along nicely, I can do it pretty well on a practice pad with rudiments it's just incorporating it into beats that I find pretty hard...I'm a hard hitter, so I really go all out for it with my arms, which is ok, but it means I can't do the fast fills I want...heheh, it's total limb independence what I need :D Thanks again.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

I'm a heavy hitter as well........I use flailing arms for heavy rock grooves/beats but use more fingers and wrists for certain fills and applications/rudiments. To me using all wrists for beats is rather lame even if it's impeccable playing. As far as wrist technique I totally agree with what drummer says. Blessings........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    Whoah, I thourght whrist was natural. I never use my arms much at all. But id recomend this for wrist building: http://www.vicfirth.com/education/dr...ssons06LQ.html
    Don's right on the money in that video but I would isolate the wrist even further by keeping all the fingers on the stick. A lot of guys don't like to teach this way because they're scared the student will become too stiff, but it's just an exercise. I stress a loose grip otherwise and have exercises for that as well where it leans toward the Moeller Technique.

User Info Menu

Like any machine, the fewer moving parts that are used to do the work, the better. There's really no reason to wear out the biceps and shoulders when all the work is really only going on at the point of impact.

I think that in a perfect technique, all parts from the elbows up should come into play only to move around the kit, not to strike the instrument.

No, I still won't play Wipe Out.

User Info Menu

Excuse my beginner question here, but wouldn't the arm movement be primarily used for creating the syncopations, and rests in the midst of a pattern? What I'm thinking about is that when you are playinf with wrists and fingers to create the beat, if you now lift you arm, the timing would change. I hope that makes some sense. I'm doing my best to describe what I see in my head.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Utsmelz View Post
    Like any machine, the fewer moving parts that are used to do the work, the better. There's really no reason to wear out the biceps and shoulders when all the work is really only going on at the point of impact.

I think that in a perfect technique, all parts from the elbows up should come into play only to move around the kit, not to strike the instrument.

Obviously you're not into rock....or you've never seen Bonham or his type perform live. I see where your coming from which is an ok idea. It's true you don't need your arms to play but in a groove your WHOLE body should feel it and wrist drumming is not gonna get you there. Blessings..........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Excuse my beginner question here, but wouldn't the arm movement be primarily used for creating the syncopations, and rests in the midst of a pattern? What I'm thinking about is that when you are playinf with wrists and fingers to create the beat, if you now lift you arm, the timing would change. I hope that makes some sense. I'm doing my best to describe what I see in my head.
    I understand what you mean PB. How much arm you use shouldn't affect your timing at all. The main thing with this style of drumming is it takes way more stamina to keep this up. After time yes you'll start getting sloppy if your not conditioned. My advice to you being a novice, I wouldn't be concerned of this aspect of drumming.
    I'm just looking from a rock/performer perspective on why I like it. Part of it really is just for show but not all of it. Basically I don't wanna watch a librarian drum on stage so when I play I keep that in mind. Blessings.........

User Info Menu

That makes perfect sense to me! I was only thinking that I see my drum teacher reach higher at certain times, like when he changes the rhythm slightly. It might be that the "reach" is more for show. He has been playing for 40 years, after all. I'm sure there are many things that he does just because it's habit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by middleman View Post
    Basically I don't wanna watch a librarian drum on stage so when I play I keep that in mind. Blessings.........
    Hey, that's a great idea! I can dress up like a librarian when I drum!... That would be interesting LOL

User Info Menu

DC, you couldn't be a librarian if you tried! You've got way too much spunk!!!

User Info Menu

Yep I have many of those little quirks from my years of playing. One little thing I do to keep time is chew gum. I actually chew in time! Without gum I have a tendency to hum which mics pick up. Kinda weird why I hum, I find my voice very hoarse after playing. Gum solved that problem. It has to be cinnamon though j/k. Blessings........

User Info Menu

Cool Middleman!! Thanks for sharing the insight!

User Info Menu

Obviously you're not into rock....
    I played rock for at least three quarters of my 20 year career, and most bands I was in said I was the hardest hitting drummer they had played with.

I know that once I learned how to economize movement in my stroke, the harder I could hit the drums while conserving the most amount of energy.

But I also didn't care if I looked like a librarian either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Utsmelz View Post
    I played rock for at least three quarters of my 20 year career, and most bands I was in said I was the hardest hitting drummer they had played with.

I know that once I learned how to economize movement in my stroke, the harder I could hit the drums while conserving the most amount of energy.

But I also didn't care if I looked like a librarian either.
    ]

It's all good bro....I've been playing for 19 years myself so ya got me beat on years. No one's right here...it's just personal preference. I guess SOME librarians are cool eh? Blessings.........

User Info Menu

]
    I guess SOME librarians are cool eh? Blessings.........
    Thanks for the Halloween costume idea.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    DC, you couldn't be a librarian if you tried! You've got way too much spunk!!!
    I was thinking more along the lines of this...... LOL

User Info Menu

Bahahahaha.... can't decide if that's sexy or not..

I'll get back to you.

User Info Menu

This?

User Info Menu

DC, I take it all back. You've got the sexy librarian thing down! LOL

User Info Menu

I do want to say something about strengthing the wrists. Physiologically, muscles have a mix of what are known as "slow twitch fibers," and "fast twitch fibers." The different fibers do exactly what you might imagine that they do. The fast twitch fibers will allow for quick movements, and by practicing quick movements, you will build up the number, and the endurance of the fast twitch fibers. It is not necessary to build bulky muscles to build the fast twitch fibers. We all know people that are wirey, and as quick as greased lightning.

I am always hearing, from you guys, that speed will increase over time, and that it is about practicing the timing, and staying with it. I can see how I have become faster over time, so my experience bears out what I know to be true.

I think the most important thing to do is to isolate the muscles that you want to improve, and then push them as far as you can while still keeping the rhythm even. By doing this, you will accomplish to things: 1) You will encourage the development of more fast twitch muscle fibers, and 2) The longer your practice sessions, the more endurance you will gain in the muscles. Muscles build when we push them to the point of fatigue. It is the point of weight training, and it works for endurance too. That's why it is not necessary to be a muscular monster to play the drums well. Skinny guys can do it to.