Thread: Danny Seraphine

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Danny Seraphine

Danny Seraphine born Aug 28 1948 ( 66)
    Drummer for Chicago 67-90
    He is not a rock drummer more of Jazz but very well known for his short drum solos like make me smile. and other well known Chicago hits. I was always intrigued by his drumming. One of the drummers who inspired me to drum along with Bonzo, Rich and many more.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 10-22-2014 at 02:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Danny Seraphine

Danny Seraphine is 1 of the best drummers in the last 40+ years.

If he would have played in a diaper, had 87 tats, and kicked his drums over, he probably would have gotten the attention he deserved.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Danny Seraphine

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Danny Seraphine is 1 of the best drummers in the last 40+ years.

If he would have played in a diaper, had 87 tats, and kicked his drums over, he probably would have gotten the attention he deserved.
    I figured you would know this guy Rick and surprised you never mentioned him before. He considers himself a Jazz Rock drummer. Have you ever tried to play any Chicago songs. You probably could cause it is somewhat your style of playing. I tried many times but too complicated for me, my style is classic rock.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 10-22-2014 at 02:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Back in my younger days there were two songs, if you could play them you could call yourself a drummer. They were fire, by Hendrix, and 25 or 6 to 4 by Chicago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Back in my younger days there were two songs, if you could play them you could call yourself a drummer. They were fire, by Hendrix, and 25 or 6 to 4 by Chicago.
    In mine it was Wipe Out if you could play that you were a drummer.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 10-22-2014 at 02:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting Pearl MCX Man! Love it...

Last edited by Olimpass; 10-22-2014 at 05:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I figured you would know this guy Rick and surprised you never mentioned him before. He considers himself a Jazz Rock drummer. Have you ever tried to play any Chicago songs. You probably could cause it is somewhat your style of playing. I tried many times but too complicated for me, my style is classic rock.

Gilles, I have mentioned Danny Seraphine more than a few times over the years.

"MAKE ME SMILE"

User Info Menu

Thanks Olimpass that brings back memories of the Chicago's era.

User Info Menu

Gilles, I have mentioned Danny Seraphine more than a few times over the years.

"MAKE ME SMILE"

Rick that made me smile, love the short solo at 3:30 thanks
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 10-22-2014 at 08:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Fantastic drummer. Thanks for putting him in here.

User Info Menu

+ 100 this drummer is amazing. He needed to be inducted here in the famous drummers page and wonder why of all the drummers here we missed him. I am sure there are more drummers out there and they should be posted as we go down memory lane and not forget them as they are part of our growing up eras.

User Info Menu

Pick Withers

User Info Menu

Read an interview with him where he was talking about the intro to 25 or 6 to 4. It was overdubbed on the recording with two grooves. If anyone could play it like the recording, they would absolutely be a stud - because even Seraphin couldn't play it like that!
    Gretsch Renown
    Ludwig Supraphonic
    Zildjian
    15”, 16”, 18” K Dark Thin
    16”, 18” K Sweet
    16" A Custom EFX
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    22” 60’s A Ride
    14" 50's Thin hats
    14” K Sweet hats

User Info Menu

Pick Withers
    Yes, he was drummer for Dire Straits see there are so many other ones out there that need some recognition.

User Info Menu

I got to play 26 or 6 to 4 earlier this spring when I was filling in with another local band. It was a lot of fun. I didn't play it RIGHT......but I played it as well as the rest of the band, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham