Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Kit or Wait?

User Info Menu

Smile New Kit or Wait?

Hey guys,

This is my first post on this forum but I've been reading it for some months now and you seem like a really good community so I figured I would come to you for questions. First of all I'm a 17 year old who has been playing the drums for just under a year on an old entry level Silvertone kit my dad bought from Sears and never used. (I did play ALOT of RockBand though before I started playing on an acoustic set) Now my issue is this. I want to upgrade my kt and cymbals (currently using used ZBT's) and I want to know if is should buy a new intermediate level kit or just wait and upgrade the current one (with new heads and hardware and such), and if I should which kit should I get. I'm leaning toward the Gretsch Catalina Maples just because I play on a Catalina at church and I love it, and I was thinking about finding a set of used Zildjian A's or A customs.

P.S. I've basically killed the stock heads on the original kit. Started using the stock resos on top with nothing on the bottom. It's loud and punchy (), but these heads wont last too long.

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Kit or Wait?

Welcome to the forum kobz24. Your choices are very sound. That would be an excellent upgrade that will last you for many years to come. Stock heads are almost always near the bottom of the line quality wise unless it's a pro kit. You will have to change out the stock batters on the Gretsch Cats as well. The reso's will be good for now. Are you thinking of going new or used?
    Last edited by wolvie56; 10-22-2014 at 05:55 PM.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I would look for a good used kit somewhere or somehow but before craigslist and other places have a lot of people trying to flip kits and over price what they have so know your stuff and be patient.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Smile Re: New Kit or Wait?

Thanks guys for the help. I'll most likely used and I've been looking at Ebay and craigslist a lot. Should I get the new kit as soon as possible or sit with the current one for as long as I can? It's not in a particularly bad condition and I could probably work a decent sound out of it if I experimented a little more with my tuning and with new heads, but part of me just REALLY wants a new kit. Also, do you know what the equivalents to the Cat Maple would be in other brands?

P.S. I will probably have to buy the cymbals before the kit just because I won't be able to afford both at the same time

Thanks,

Kobz24

User Info Menu

What I would do is replace the heads and buy quality cymbals one at a time. The last thing that I'd do is replace the actual drums.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

your in a great position that you don't need the kit now, you can afford to "shop" around a bit.
    used is the way for the kit, you'll get so much more for your money, have a look at different makes, i can vouch for Mapex and Pearl, the Saturns / Panther kits are awesome as well as Masters and Reference, you should be able to get these for a reasonable price used, get the cymbals out of the way then start looking around at kits.
    others on the forum will be able to help with different drum manufactures.

good luck

Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Good cymbals work with any kit.

I'd get new heads.

What kind of snare drum are you using?

User Info Menu

Just about every major manufacturer makes a great intermediate kit nowadays that are equal too or in most cases better than Catalina's IMO.

I would fully recommend a used kit, especially nowadays the resale value is ridiculously low right now and I bet you can get a great kit and even some decent cymbals for the price of a new catalina.

Some examples are,
    Mapex,- meridians, M birch, horizon.
    Yamaha-- stage customs
    Pearl--Visions, export
    Sonor 3000 series, 2000 series even the 1000 series are good kits
    PDP---FS series, CX. LX

I am forgetting a few but they are easy enough to google. Look into craigslist and feel free to post the ads your looking at, we will let you know if they are good deals or not.

Good Luck
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies guys the feedback really helps. I'm using the snare that came with the Silvertone kit and it's the only piece I've bought a new head for (last one broke). Its got a coated Remo ambassador on the top and the stock reso. I'll look around for different offers and such and post what i find

User Info Menu

Unless you are REALLY wanting to have the "unboxing" experience, save your money and wait it out until an all-in-one used package comes available. A lot of time these days, when someone sells their drums used, they sell everything at once just to get rid of it all (shells + cymbals, stands, extra sticks and accessories, drum throne, etc.). Wait it out until someone wants to unload their entire kit...especially when it comes to cymbals.

Another thing to look at is local-ish craigslist ads near college towns that are within an ok driving distance around the ends of semesters (Nov/Dec & April/May). Students graduate every semester, and a lot of times they are selling their drums to raise money until they find a job. Also, students sometimes sell drums to pay for tuition. I scored an amazing deal on my DW 9000 pedal because a guy was graduating and was selling almost all of his possessions so he didn't have to bother moving it.

Keep your eye out for small shop custom kits too. As I've talked about multiple times before, people are selling custom kits at a fraction of the cost because it's a buyers market right now.

Best of luck, and keep us informed!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
    What I would do is replace the heads and buy quality cymbals one at a time. The last thing that I'd do is replace the actual drums.
    I agree with this. Get new heads, top and bottom, all around. And buy whatever new cymbals you can afford. Keep replacing cymbals with top notch stuff. Make sure your technique is good and they will last forever.

Then replace your drums.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat!! Glad that you created an account.

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I agree with this. Get new heads, top and bottom, all around. And buy whatever new cymbals you can afford. Keep replacing cymbals with top notch stuff. Make sure your technique is good and they will last forever.

Then replace your drums.
    Yep. Couldn't agree more. Your drums will sound way better with all new heads. You'd do that with a new kit anyway.

Buy your new cymbals as well. You are going to do that anyway.

When the budget is right and you understand the differences in brands and wood shells then you will be able to make an intelligent decision on what YOU want because you'll have learned what you need to know. You know?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I agree with the above, buy the drums last and until that day comes try out different kits DW, Pearl, Tama etc and that will give you a better idea of what you are looking for. Good luck and welcome to DC.

User Info Menu

I'm going to go against the majority of the responses concerning which to upgrade first. I've seen and heard the Silvertone kit (meh) at COSTCO of all places and I can just imagine what a feeling it must be to hop on the Gretsch Cats at church. For me, cymbals must be heard in person and I'm really picky about which ones come home with me. It could take me years to find what I want. On the other hand, some cymbal companies offer packages that are sonically matched and sometimes offer free bonus cymbals. My Sabian HHX "Super Pack" for example, came with an additional free 10" HHX splash and 18" HHX Xplosion crash as an added bonus.

Silvertone kit:

I'd go for a used shell pack first and you can score on a deal if you're patient. Here's an example of two used shell packs I found in a matter of minutes in my area (X7 @ $400 and Gretsch Cats @ $450). If I had $400 laying around (which I never do), I'd jump on the PDP X7 kit. In my opinion, the used PDP X7 shell pack would be a better bang for the buck at $400. You can score brand new Gretsch Catalinas shell pack in my area for $649.00.

Used PDP X7 7pc shell pack $400:

Used Gretsch Cat 4pc. shell pack $450:

Last edited by late8; 10-23-2014 at 11:49 AM.

User Info Menu

If you are monitoring craigslist include "moving" in your search field. Search for "moving drum". Lots of times people are moving and they can't take a drum kit with them, there is a deadline and they have to sell the drum kit fast, probably for whatever they can get.

User Info Menu

All of the above options are viable and it really comes down to your practice regimine, future milestones and goals, and financial situation. What follows below is just another option. Generally speaking, hardware quality today is much higher than it was when I was young so ymmv.

Back in 1975 I was in your shoes. I had been playing about a year on a Silvertone kit that my parents had given me for Christmas after having played about a year of rudimental snare drum. The drums were suitable for my level of ability but the cymbals looked like crumpled aluminum foil, the kick drum pedal was barely hanging on after numerous breakages, the hi hat stand foot board no longer worked, and the cymbal stands were getting a bit wobbly, held together by multiple layers of strategically placed duct tape and broken wing nuts snapped by too much vise grip tourque.

I don't remember exactly how I built the kit up and kept it going until I was able to afford a better one, but thinking back on it now I could have upgraded it as follows with the intent of being able to keep using the hardware and cymbal upgrades with the new drums. Items can be purchased new or used as you see fit.

1. Good quality, sturdy, and comfortable throne
    2. Good quality, reliable kick drum pedal and hi hat stand
    3. One set of high quality hi hat cymbals (e.g. Zildjian 14" A New Beats)
    4. One high quality ride cymbal (e.g. Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride)
    5. One good quality ride cymbal stand
    6. One (or two) high quality crash cymbal (e.g. Zildjian 16/18" A Medium Thin Crash)
    7. One (or two) good quality crash cymbal stand
    8. One good quality snare drum (e.g. Ludwig Acrolite)
    9. One good quality shell pack (rack tom, floor tom, kick drum)

Upgrades 1-5 will get you a dependable base for practicing beats, grooves, independence, etc.
    Upgrades 6-7 will get you a dependable crash cymbal or two to color/accent the beats with.
    Upgrades 8-9 will get you a good quality drumset that you can start performing on.
    Last edited by dangermoney; 10-23-2014 at 06:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Okay so I think what I'm gonna do is buy new heads, get new cymbals, and then just do what I can to keep my kit in top condition (i.e. new hardware and throne and such as dangermonkey mentioned). I'll wait until I can either find a deal I can't deny or until I can afford a proper kit.

User Info Menu

As far as drums go.
    Why buy new, when slightly used will do.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PopsOldSkins View Post
    As far as drums go.
    Why buy new, when slightly used will do.
    Just something about unboxing a brand new kit that you know no one else has hit. Taking the plastic off the shells and smelling that brand new yummy wood..mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Yes there is nothing like new. I love new stuff.

My problem is I gig a lot and everything gets scratched and dented. So I buy gear that is already scratched and dented.

User Info Menu

I'd go used all day. Forget that unboxing. Ha. I'd rather save several hundred dollars. LOL.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kobz24 View Post
    Okay so I think what I'm gonna do is buy new heads, get new cymbals, and then just do what I can to keep my kit in top condition (i.e. new hardware and throne and such as dangermonkey mentioned). I'll wait until I can either find a deal I can't deny or until I can afford a proper kit.
    Good thinking. If you haven't already, ditch the stock Silvertone reso head too when you buy new heads for the kit. This will improve the resonance quality on the bass drum by two fold.

User Info Menu

Its amazing what good heads can do for a set.What ever set you have if you like the sound then that's all that is important.And welcome to DC
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kobz24 View Post
    I think you made a smart decision. New heads & proper tuning can make your Silvertone kit sound better than a higher quality kit with old heads & poor tuning. I'm a firm believer that even cheap wood shells can be more than adequate for even gig situations. Keep in mind that most new mid-level kits have low quality heads...and most used kits you'll find will have worn heads. So either way, you'll most likely be buying new heads if you want the best sound.

Installing new heads and learning how to properly install and tune them will teach you one of the most fundamental and valuable skills you'll need as a drummer; making the most of what you have! Same goes for upgrading the cymbals & hardware. You'll learn more by upgrading it one piece at a time, researching and making wise decisions based on your budget constraints. Unboxing a new kit is fun, but so is taking an old, cheap kit and making it special! Your Silvertone already has something special - your dad bought them and handed them down to you.

I use an old Maxwin shell kit for most gigs, and it sounds and looks as good as any. It shows you what can be done with cheap shells, a little work and some various new and used parts from eBay...
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I think you made a smart decision. New heads & proper tuning can make your Silvertone kit sound better than a higher quality kit with old heads & poor tuning. I'm a firm believer that even cheap wood shells can be more than adequate for even gig situations. Keep in mind that most new mid-level kits have low quality heads...and most used kits you'll find will have worn heads. So either way, you'll most likely be buying new heads if you want the best sound.

Installing new heads and learning how to properly install and tune them will teach you one of the most fundamental and valuable skills you'll need as a drummer; making the most of what you have! Same goes for upgrading the cymbals & hardware. You'll learn more by upgrading it one piece at a time, researching and making wise decisions based on your budget constraints. Unboxing a new kit is fun, but so is taking an old, cheap kit and making it special! Your Silvertone already has something special - your dad bought them and handed them down to you.

I use an old Maxwin shell kit for most gigs, and it sounds and looks as good as any. It shows you what can be done with cheap shells, a little work and some various new and used parts from eBay...
    Very cool VERY COOL INDEED
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh