Thread: Roland TD-10 vs TD-12 sound quality... is it worth the upgrade?

User Info Menu

Smile Roland TD-10 vs TD-12 sound quality... is it worth the upgrade?

I'm actually happy with the TD-10 sounds but wonder how much better the TD12 is? Are the snares, toms, kick and cymbals that much more realistic and more sensitive than the TD10? Is it worth the street price of $600 - $650 ?

....Or would just upgrading the TD10 with the TDW card be a better or cheaper option?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Roland TD-10 vs TD-12 sound quality... is it worth the upgrade?

The 12 is a better module. The TD 10 expansion card will give you V cymbal support, but that card will cost you about $400, if you can find one. I have a TD10, not expanded, that I use exclusively to trigger a vst via midi, so its not worth the module upgrade for me. If I was going to use the module sounds only, there are much better options than the TD-10.
    ||Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius||

Pearl Masters Custom - Emerald Mist with gold hardware 12/13/16/22

PDP LX - Cherry Fade
    8/10/12/14/16/22

Zildjian A Custom 16/18/20 1970's 14" New Beat hats
    Sabian 16" Ozone crash

Roland TD-3 and TD-10 A to E Kit.

User Info Menu

i just picked up a complete td-20 kit for $2000 AUS second hand and found a expanded card for cost price $250

pritty happy , a few little things missing but on the most part a good deal

there are many good second hand options out there , i would keep looking around td-12 is a little limited

User Info Menu

Hmmm , well, I just bought a TD12 brain for $610 ... in pretty much new condition. I'm probably still going to be limited by the PD120 and PD100 pads. At least the 100s are two zone, but don't know if I'll get the positional sensing from them. Never the less, I hope the sounds and effects are an upgrade from the TD10 (which really wasn't that bad).