Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To Ride or Not to Ride?

User Info Menu

Question To Ride or Not to Ride?

This may seem weird but I have noticed that I hardly ever need to use my ride!
    Being in two bands, both of which claim to play classic rock of the 60's to the 90's rock, I can list on one hand the songs that actually require a ride. We play, among others, ZZ Top, Petty, Hendrix, Cream,Tonic, Bonomassa, AC/DC, Skynrd, and Zepplin. Most of these bands require riding hats more than actual ride cymbals so I'm thinking of storing my ride for the time being.

Have any of you come to the same conclusion? Some of you that have the 1 up, 2 down say that puts the ride within easier reach, but if you don't really need it, why use that configuration? Besides, wouldn't it be easier to put that one high tom in the center or to the right on the kick for roll-downs?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Default Re: To Ride or Not to Ride?

One of the biggest reasons I switched to 1 up 2 down is because I didn't like how high my toms would sit over the bassdrum. I didn't use my ride much when I used 2 up 1 down because it was sort of pushed away to the right. Once I switched and brought my ride in, It opened a door. Now I hardly use my hi hats! I wouldn't go with all to the right because I like to have my toms close to me. The high tom would be to the right of my bass drum which would require a lot of effort to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Maybe a double tom stand would work for you - it places both toms directly behind the snare. I don't own a double tom stand but I mounted my 12 tom off a cymbal stand and left my 13 tom bass mounted but moved it to where the 12 used to be. This worked out well for me - it meant I could position the ride much better and the second tom was much easier to reach (I'm old and lazy). The kit looks a bit goofy and lopsided when set up this way but it works for me.

I set up my kit with both toms over the kick about 6 months ago as I decided I had to learn how to play with the drums set up 'properly' - I don't like the ride set high over the second mounted tom or set too far to the side when it is over the floor tom (current position). I think I will rearrange my drums tomorrow and go back to my old set up - I don't know why I left it so long.

User Info Menu

I just read my post and realised it is totally unrelated to the thread, sorry guys! Its almost 4 a.m. here - and I'm obviously rather confused, time for me to sleep.

User Info Menu

I just recently started using a set of 16" hats that I put together from a B8 thin crash (top) and a B8 Rock crash (bottom). I decided to try it specifically for the purpose of riding the loose/sloshy hats more and even play the top hat like a ride when the hats are open. I figure, the more I can simplify my setup and find ways to get more sounds with less physical movement, the more versatile and efficient I'll be.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Oh man, I thought this was about riding a bike or something. Shows where my thoughts are these days.

As for the drumming aspect, I tend to use my hats more than my ride, too. But there are special times like when you want to use the bell that it is mandatory.

Good topic!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Going without a ride cymbal. Blasphemy I say
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Do you use the hi hat instead of a ride?

User Info Menu

I use the ride a lot. However I find that it can sound quite weak unless someone in the band such as a rhythm guitarist or keyboardist is filling up that space that the sloshy hihats use. In the case of no available rhythm guitarist or keyboardist then I'd use the shoulder of the stick on the ride for the washy sound
    Last edited by xweasel; 10-29-2014 at 03:47 AM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Crispycritters..You're banned! LOL

User Info Menu

I'm not sure I could do without my ride.

User Info Menu

I thought a lot about the 1 rack, 1 floor-thing but since I played on a kit with 2 rack and 1 floor I decided to buy this configuration when I extend my kit cause I felt that conformable with it. Don't avoid a ride, just set it up next to the floor tom or something like this.
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch (CR):
    20,12,10 + 14x5,5" PDP Maple/Bubinga snare
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

In jazz, the ride is probably the most important instrument on the set. In basic rock grooves however I could probably play a whole night without a ride, using hats only.

all the best...

User Info Menu

My ride was definitely my least used cymbal. I would tend to wash-ride the crash or china cymbal fairly often.

User Info Menu

Suddenly I don't fell so alone. My ride seems to be my dustiest cymbal but I am working it in more.

Last edited by Ray on the Drums; 10-29-2014 at 08:29 AM.

User Info Menu

You should try a super wet ride in your case. I find myself starting to use my ride cymbal almost like a crash cymbal. I was always a fan of a super dry ping ride but I felt like it got lost in the mix. So now I'm using a brighter wetter sounding cymbal and playing it more blunt like a step up from open hi-hat and a step down from just a straight crash cymbal.

Give an aggressive yet not over kill sound.

User Info Menu

Yeah funny you post this as I was thinking the exact same thing a few nights ago. I was starting to feel like I really need to work on my ride work but truly most of my stuff (classic rock/Pop) does not really require it. I probably use the bell of the ride to add flavor to a bridge or chorus more than any other use of the ride. I do wash it a lot as well.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I have traditionally used my ride quite a bit. Almost every song, during the various guitar solos and chorus, etc.. Over the last few months, however, I have ventured out of my comfort zone and tried new things. Now, I ride on crash cymbals, play the hi-hat bell and try to utilize more potential for different sounds. I think it's a good thing.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

If you dont use it, why haul it around. Im the same about splash cymbals. Had one never used it so I sold it.

User Info Menu

The only time I didn't use my ride a lot was when I first started playing. Now, I absolutely have to have it; it's just as crucial as my hi hats. I'd get rid of my crashes before I got rid of my ride.

User Info Menu

I go between my hats and the ride as a transition to create some sort of dynamic change within the song. I'll try to follow the original drummer on playing a cover as far as which to use but sometimes I'll make it up as I go.
    If I'm not on a ride, I'll wash ride a crash to establish some sort of difference between the "ping" of the ride and the "wash" from a crash. Same with the hihats. Tight crisp "chick" during some parts to sloshy wash on other parts.

In my opinion, the use of hihats and the ride helps "weave" a more complex fabric in which to lay the groove around.

Example:

verse #1 = Hihats,
    bridge #1 = Ride,
    verse #2 hihats,
    solo = ride,
    Verse #3 = hihats,
    outro = hihats/or ride

User Info Menu

Mine is in it's permanent position over my floor tom. I use it quite a bit and you never know when you will need it. At least it will be there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    in my opinion, the use of hihats and the ride helps "weave" a more complex fabric in which to lay the groove around.
    +1

User Info Menu

I play in a classic rock band. 60's- 90's (very few 80 &90's) I don't use a dedicated ride, with this band. I'm using a 20" crash as my big crash and a ride, and an 18" as a 2nd crash. I bet I don't use it as ride more than 25% of the time. 5 drums, 2 crashes, and hats. That's my idea of a basic kit. At home I use a lot more cym. and one more Fl. tom.

User Info Menu

I only use ride cymbals, but depending what I am playing I either set up only light rides that can be crashed or I will set up two and have the right hand ride be a lighter medium ride. Coming from a jazzier/bluesier background I prefer a washier and bigger sound from cymbals. I'm not into little crash cymbals and such. It can certainly be out of place, though!