Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To Ride or Not to Ride?

User Info Menu

Default Re: To Ride or Not to Ride?

I think you should have on your kit what you know you'll be using. If you don't use a ride, it's just using up space you could give something else that you do use. Besides, less stuff to carry if you're travelling with the kit with any degree of frequency. Hypothetically speaking, if you just use closed hi-hat on verse and open hi-hat on chorus, don't really need a ride. You might actually get better at drumming when you have less to work with, too.
    Last edited by Russ; 03-06-2015 at 06:23 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I'd say try going without in rehearsals and see how you feel. The less stuff you have to take to a gig, the happier you'll be.

User Info Menu

i bought my HHX groove ride for the sole purpose crash riding heavily, and i found myself using the ride more and more frequently with my hats getting dustier and dustier.

honestly though its very situational. type of music. mood. etc etc

User Info Menu

I'm a ride-guy. In terms of a stripped-down kit, the cymbals I need are hats. After that, just give me a ride that I can also crash and I'm good to go! Done plenty of gigs with just that setup. Ideally I'll use three rides, one heavier ride with more stick definition then two other washier rides as crashes. I'd probably be fine with just hats and crashes, but I think I'd miss the "tinkles" you can only get from a ride with good stick definition
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

Id say I use my ride and hats equally. I love them both and just wouldn't feel right without either if them. I find I'm usually on the hats during the verse and on the ride during the lead solo's.

User Info Menu

I honestly can't believe some of you don't want to use a ride in your drumming or drum kit. IT'S EMBARRASSING!!

I know there are no hard and fast rules to drum kit setups or use of cymbals/drums. But I really believe that to progress as a drummer (even if you only play covers of songs that really don't feature a ride) you should have a ride cymbal and use the darn thing.

I still can't believe it lol. I love the hihat, but nothing compares to hammering a track playing the ride that cuts right through all the rest of the music! i.e.. Rush's "Spirit of Radio"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Five Magics View Post
    I honestly can't believe some of you don't want to use a ride in your drumming or drum kit. IT'S EMBARRASSING!!

I know there are no hard and fast rules to drum kit setups or use of cymbals/drums. But I really believe that to progress as a drummer (even if you only play covers of songs that really don't feature a ride) you should have a ride cymbal and use the darn thing.

I still can't believe it lol. I love the hihat, but nothing compares to hammering a track playing the ride that cuts right through all the rest of the music! i.e.. Rush's "Spirit of Radio"
    Listen to how sweet the ride sounds during the guitar solo in Eric Clapton's "cocaine". Absolutely drives the song!