Thread: What are some good overhead condensers that won't break the bank ??

User Info Menu

Default What are some good overhead condensers that won't break the bank ??

..... but won't clip and give nasty distortion? I have some battery powered cheap-o (I forget the name at the moment) mics that were like $79 each. Nice aluminum body and a quality feel, but they clipped without me knowing it and I had to re-record all my tracks which about killed me because I had some killer original takes.

Anyway, how are the lower end Audio Technicas? or how about the Shure SM87A ?

User Info Menu

Default Re: What are some good overhead condensers that won't break the bank ??

Samson C02's aren't bad.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I've gotten pretty decent results with the CAD CM217's. You can get a pair of them for under a hundred.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zone47 View Post
    ..... but won't clip and give nasty distortion? I have some battery powered cheap-o (I forget the name at the moment) mics that were like $79 each. Nice aluminum body and a quality feel, but they clipped without me knowing it and I had to re-record all my tracks which about killed me because I had some killer original takes.

Anyway, how are the lower end Audio Technicas? or how about the Shure SM87A ?
    The AT2020 is a decent mic for $99. I just set up a pair of them with an i5 and d6 the other day. However, if you're planning on mic'ing all your toms individually, you many want to go small diaphragm instead.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: What are some good overhead condensers that won't break the bank ??

I think I like the AT2020 idea. Thanks, at least I have some good ideas to research. Winter time is a good time for recording, so I'm just trying to get everything in order.

User Info Menu

MXL 990 is a pretty good performer for the price(I use them). I see deals for the 990 + 991 being sold as a package for $100 online. Tough to beat that kind of deal.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

behringer c-2

matched pair , you wont find any better for that price

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    behringer c-2

matched pair , you wont find any better for that price
    definitely this. great for the price
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

Audix f15 is my go to for a cheap overhead.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Sterling st55, at2020, are both good choices for decent sounding low budget
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

at2020 nice mic

you need a good preamp to go with it , to get the most out of it

User Info Menu

I bought 2 of the MXL MCA-SP1 mics specifically for overheads. I really love them. They're about $55 each but they get really good reviews, and they do sound very good... quite suprisingly actually. Especially when you see how they're packaged. I was originally using the MXL 603's. These use the same capsules... but to me, I do notice a difference. They satisfy my needs for decent sounding overheads, and they also (as an added bonus) add a bit of a "pro feel" to your studio.

IamJohnGalt Guest

It's an old thread but I will say that a matched pair of Octava MKII SDCS do pretty well for the price.

User Info Menu

Since we're on this topic...If I wanted to record my drums, what would I need in the way of mikes? Basically a very small set up. Kick, tom, floor, snare, ride and hats.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Google "Glyn Johns mic setup". Very easy 3 mic setup used for recording.

User Info Menu

I use 2 akg 170. They have worked really well got me in the past.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal