Thread: Whoah...

User Info Menu

Default Whoah...

Just played my set, which I haven't played in quite some time. I realized I really need some work done on my technique, and playing my set just now felt really weird.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Whoah...

That is one scary realization. Same thing happened to me...During rehersal

User Info Menu

Could just be the frame of mind you were in. Its best to start back up when your really feelin it.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

two and a half years ago come back from a two year break ..my body couldn't keep up with what my brain was trying to do

felt hell unco
    Last edited by itchie; 10-15-2010 at 07:51 AM.

User Info Menu

I always thought that drum playing is mostly a mental game. When you practice everyday, you tend to get numb and insensitive to what you are playing. A little time off does wonders to the drum playing. For example, if I'm working on something specific and realize that things are not progressing as I would like, I take a few days away from it. Then, when I get back on the drums, I have this renewed interest and energy...and most of time I actually see progress. Its kinda weird the way that works for me.
    Last edited by nio; 10-15-2010 at 07:58 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    I always thought that drum playing is mostly a mental game. When you practice everyday, you tend to get numb and insensitive to what you are playing. A little time off does wonders to the drum playing. For example, if I'm working on something specific and realize that things are not progressing as I would like, I take a few days away from it. Then, when I get back on the drums, I have this renewed interest and energy...and most of time I actually see progress. Its kinda weird the way that works for me.
    Well said I agree and do the same thing when I can't accomplish something I am trying to learn. I use allot of visualization techniques as well. I visualize myself playing what ever I am trying to learn particularly right before I go to sleep for a number of days before I revisit the kit and try to play it again and I have had great success with that as well. I will qualify that with your skill set has to be such that you have the ability to play whatever you are struggling with to begin with, it is just that you have some mental block or whatever that is keeping you from playing what ever you are trying to learn. You can visulize double bass chops all you want but if you haven't put in the time to train your feet to play double bass it will not happen by thinking about it.

User Info Menu

Give it time concrete Building and before you know it you will be right back to where you were and even better. I stopped playing for a few years and found that when I started up again I was better at it. Weird that is just the way it works out. Good luck

User Info Menu

There are days when I sit behind the kit only to sink into a depression. It doesn't take long for me to walk away since I am clearly not feeling "it" at the moment.

It could be any number of things. The state of the world got me down, kids start screaming at each other across the house, lately just the fact that by the time I have time to sit down at the kit it's dark outside and the night feels old and tired, the neighborhood is quiet, and even though it's only 8 PM and my neighbors can't really hear my drums I still feel like a nuisance if I start playing.

Sometimes days or even a week goes by before I truly get "it" back and am able to whip out a good groove. Am I alone in this? I never expected drumming to be such an emotional journey....I play many other instruments and I cannot recall ever feeling so "worthless" at times when trying to play them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Timactionfigures View Post
    There are days when I sit behind the kit only to sink into a depression. It doesn't take long for me to walk away since I am clearly not feeling "it" at the moment.

It could be any number of things. The state of the world got me down, kids start screaming at each other across the house, lately just the fact that by the time I have time to sit down at the kit it's dark outside and the night feels old and tired, the neighborhood is quiet, and even though it's only 8 PM and my neighbors can't really hear my drums I still feel like a nuisance if I start playing.

Sometimes days or even a week goes by before I truly get "it" back and am able to whip out a good groove. Am I alone in this? I never expected drumming to be such an emotional journey....I play many other instruments and I cannot recall ever feeling so "worthless" at times when trying to play them.
    There was a time when I had to play because it was my job. It ate me up inside and caused me to leave drumming forever...until I got the itch about 10 years later. Its more spiritual for me now.... I look at it as a gift...as long as you don't abuse it, it will bring you much pleasure.

User Info Menu

I had a teacher that would say every day you don't play, you lose three. he also said the first HOUR of practice was just dusting off the instrument and that you actually don't start learning until hour two.

Does anyone believe that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Timactionfigures View Post

I can relate. We as human beings all go through periods of depression. I recently went from being unable to work and had to live with family members in 3 different states, while dealing with medical issues. We even had to put our beloved dogs to sleep. Sold or lost almost everything.
    Anyways, I always had faith, and knew that God is great, and we pulled through. I received my SSD back pay, got us a new place out in the country with new stuff, a new furry child (an Akita named Seigi, Japanese for Justice) and got me some new cymbals and heads!
    During the worst of times I could be found listening to music and writing lots of poems/songs? and found a new appreciation for what's important in this life. Heckuva wake up for us. I now play with a new energy, and inspiration. People walk by and actually compliment me on my playing when I'm out side with the dog. Life can throw us a wicked curve ball man, we just have to muster the strength to learn how to hit it. Swing for the fences, never say die. Appreciate life and what we have, and Rock on!!

User Info Menu

I know the feeling will come back. It's just that it felt wierd trying to play after such a while.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

i play every day with more and more interest every day
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex