Thread: Just Playing

User Info Menu

Default Just Playing

Ok, i dont get lessons or i dont learn rudiments or anything really, i just learn from what i hear, but what im wondering is is learning by just playing like i do, just trying to play what i hear and learning techniques and stuff off you tube, is this just as good as having a teacher or would i be better off with one?

the kind of level im at is this, i can play tourettes by nirvana pretty well, not perfect but good enough to go on stage and not like an idiot. for those who dont know the song or drum part, its this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGHQJSmWWg8

he says its called the eagle has landed but the song was unreleased at that stage

User Info Menu

First of all, I love that song...
    Secondly, you'll probably advance farther with a teacher, or at least, he'll make you see drums differently, I never realised you could make an entirely different style of drumming just by playing off time quarter notes on the hi hat but my teacher showed me how to lay down these hip hop beats and now I'm finding them to be great fun.
    BUT that's not to say learning from ear is without it's merits. It's much more satisfying to learn a song from ear than it is to from tab or sheet music, and it'll help you pinch stuff that you like and use for your own songs/jam sessions. Plus, when you work out tom tom songs (you know, songs primarily on the tom toms and stuff) it feels great!
    All in all though, the choice is yours. I'm mainly self taught but I have a private lesson once a month just because I want to be evaluated and so on on what I'm doing and for my teacher to show me some new stuff to do.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

everything i have ever learned was by ear or by seeing a video of it. ive never had a lesson, and i have no idea whare i stand in drumming skill beond what i know i can do, after joining this site and finaly learning my rudaments i wish i could find a teacher to help me, expesialy with reading music. while i can ply almost anything i hear now after a year of daily 3-8 hour practice if you put music in front of me i cant play it at all.;earning by ear is fun and i find it more satisfying to say hey i learned how to play these all on my own, but there are parts of drumming that i only found out even existed after joining this site. if you can aford it then i would recomend lessons at least to get you started after you pick up the basics moveing back to ear would more than likely be easyer
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

I took lesssons for a year and I needed them big time. Basically, I bought my kit and sat on it and said "what the heck do I do now". I needed lessons to get me started. Learnt alot of coordination and interdependance. My teacher gave me alot of great tips which I still use and always will. Everyone is different and learn different ways. You may not need one, I certainly did

User Info Menu

Cool Just Playing

While everyone learns in different ways, livewire80 makes the point I'd make. You can learn by yourself, but you run the risk of learning a bad habit that you'll have to unlearn somewhere down the road. Find a good teacher. It's worth it!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mulla14 View Post
    Ok, i dont get lessons or i dont learn rudiments or anything really, i just learn from what i hear, but what im wondering is is learning by just playing like i do, just trying to play what i hear and learning techniques and stuff off you tube, is this just as good as having a teacher or would i be better off with one?

the kind of level im at is this, i can play tourettes by nirvana pretty well, not perfect but good enough to go on stage and not like an idiot. for those who dont know the song or drum part, its this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGHQJSmWWg8

he says its called the eagle has landed but the song was unreleased at that stage
    That is exactly how I have learned, and I consider myself a pretty descent drummer, so do what you feel most confortable with.