Thread: What books are you currently working from?

User Info Menu

Talking What books are you currently working from?

Any of you currently working from books? How have they been working for you? Tell us about it!

---

I'm in school and work from some books and also ordered some books for my own purposes that will be used within my lessons. What I am currently using:

Syncopation for the Modern Drummer by Ted Reed
    Stick Control by George Stone (these two were recommended to me but aren't technically being used in classes or lessons)
    The Language of Drumming by Benny Greb (unfortunately I haven't really gotten to look at this one much at all except for getting the concept of it)

Modern Reading Text in 4/4 by Louis Bellson and Gil Breines (for Music Theory...I haven't read much of it yet)

Then in my drum lessons we're using:
    14 Modern Contest Solos by John S. Pratt
    The Art of Bop Drumming by John Riley
    Complete Funk Drumming Book by Jim Payne

It's quite a lot, but I spend a little time on each one. I have found since working with the Modern Contest Solo book I've gotten a bit better with my rudiments (especially 5, 7, and 9 stroke roll, and also flamacues). The snare based books have really given me a new-found love for playing on my practice pad and have made me found a lot of enjoyment in playing off the drumset. Because of this I see a lot of improvement in my playing for sure!

Anyways, enough about me...your turn!
    Last edited by ZackPomerleau; 11-01-2014 at 10:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: What books are you currently working from?

I'm using syncopation for the modern drummer too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I'm using syncopation for the modern drummer too.
    Sweet! How's it going for you? I've used it a little in the past (well, not the book itself, but another book based on it). I've done the whole play 2-and-4 on the hats with the ride pattern and play the figure on snare and bass, among other things. Right now I'm actually trying to play through the eighth and sixteenth note sections (along with dotted note and triplets) as fast as I can cleanly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
    Sweet! How's it going for you? I've used it a little in the past (well, not the book itself, but another book based on it). I've done the whole play 2-and-4 on the hats with the ride pattern and play the figure on snare and bass, among other things. Right now I'm actually trying to play through the eighth and sixteenth note sections (along with dotted note and triplets) as fast as I can cleanly.
    It's a great book!! Currently, I'm working on triplets with the 2&4 pattern.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    It's a great book!! Currently, I'm working on triplets with the 2&4 pattern.
    Is that the ones near the end of the book (I believe) where they put all the different accents on various parts of the triplet? I've done a few of those. Super cool! Thanks for reminding me about those

User Info Menu

Yupp those are the ones

-Mike

User Info Menu

I don't work out of books as much as I used to but I've done most of the books you've mentioned; Ted Reed, Stone, Bellson for reading, hand patterns and the Jim Chapin book for swing. For funk, I worked more out of the Latham books. Latin I would work from Afro Cuban Rhythms for Drumset by Frank Malabe, Bob Weiner. I also worked from Garibaldi's book some but can't remember the name. He's got a ton of really cool linear stuff. Also worked from Gary Chester's "The New Breed".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I don't work out of books as much as I used to but I've done most of the books you've mentioned; Ted Reed, Stone, Bellson for reading, hand patterns and the Jim Chapin book for swing. For funk, I worked more out of the Latham books. Latin I would work from Afro Cuban Rhythms for Drumset by Frank Malabe, Bob Weiner. I also worked from Garibaldi's book some but can't remember the name. He's got a ton of really cool linear stuff. Also worked from Gary Chester's "The New Breed".
    That sounds really great. I'm currently working with someone regarding latin playing but don't really work out of a book. I'll have to check out these books for future purposes!

User Info Menu

What school are you going to?

User Info Menu

I loved the Art of Bop drumming with Jon Riley, great book!

I am using the Drummers Cookbook right now. Can't think of the writer

User Info Menu

Right now I am using Stick Control and Syncopation for the Modern Drummer. Two great books IMO. I could spend all day playing through exercises in stick control.. That's why that book is so great - you can take one exercise and use it in countless ways.

Also, I was recently working with the New Breed book.
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    What school are you going to?
    University of Maine, studying Music Education. Essentially you learn all of your music theory and all that jazz, then learn what you need to know to become a certified teacher for K-12. You also take private lessons within your specialized instrument (so for me, drumset). I am also taking lessons with a Latin percussionist/drumset player.

---
    Spaz, haven't gotten very far, just up to the bass drum section and looked at the soloing part. It seems cool! I like the backing tracks. How's the Cook Book?

---

Yep, those are great books! Right now I'm more into stick work myself, no idea why. You can't get me off the drum pad! How was New Breed? I've heard that's a pretty serious book. I've got wayyyy too much to be looking at more but still!