Thread: DW vs Pearl vs Tama

User Info Menu

Default DW vs Pearl vs Tama

Hey all. Just wnated to pick some experianced brains about kick pedals. The search function seems to be down so I had a sconce at the prvious ten pages, and when it comes to these 3, most are going with pearl.
    Im gonna by a new pedal, been using some sort of contraption for too long now, its amazing what you get used to.
    Im looking at the Pearl eliminator, DW 7000 series or TAMA Iron Cobra. I know theres many models of the above. Im willing to spend the money, but not fortunate enogh to ba able to try these pedals. Im leening torawrds the Pearl right now, cause im used to one. Is there any significant difference between em?
    Also, whats the difference between belt and chain drive, apart from the obvious. Do they feel different?
    Col.

User Info Menu

of the 3 you picked the 7000 would be the odd man out. if it were 5000 or 9000 i would choose them. but of those 3... if the iron cobra is the top line and not the JRs they would be my choice. eliminators feel good but the ones i have played squeaked like nothing i've heard since the old ludwig speed king. as far as belt to chain comparison, it has been a LONG time since i played a strap so i cant help much there.

User Info Menu

Iron Cobras dude.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I can only speak on behalf of the Pearl Eliminator.
    I use the double and I find it quite good, but I am no expert.

One thing I did notice is that I personally found it easier to play when I changed it from chains to belts/straps- it just feels smoother, but maybe thats a personal thing??

It is quite adjustable.

The only thing I would like is if it had longer footboards.

' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies, im still so unsure. gonna flip a a coin on this one!!!
    Apologies for posting two threads, my bad.
    Col.

User Info Menu

I use iron cobra, and the pedals on the kit at my church are dw's. Honestly I don't think there is much difference between the two. They're both based on the same design, with similar feel, and response. Eliminator, I've never really been a fan of. Go with either Iron Cobra or DW.

User Info Menu

If the Dw pedal was a 9000 series then id take that, but otherwise the pearl or the tama is better

User Info Menu

Hi there Brokensticks (no way I'm going to abbreviate you down to BS ). I haven't seen your posts before, so welcome to Drum Chat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hello and welcome BS. You'll like it here. This site is full of BS. Drum Chick and Crazymanwithaplunger's posts in specific, lol.... perhaps this belongs in the sarcasm.... thread.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

Shazane Guest

I vote for Axis, if you've won the lottery recently

User Info Menu

The last part says it all!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shazane View Post
    I vote for Axis, if you've won the lottery recently
    huh?

User Info Menu

OHHHH Axis pedals! Now I feel stupid...

User Info Menu

I know better than that! My guess is that you were in a rush when you read it the first time.

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW vs Pearl vs Tama

Iron cobras are the best. very nice and top of the line, the others are good, but if you have the money, get it!

User Info Menu

what funkymcstain said...
    also take a look at the dominator double pedal by Trick drums.
    I currently play a DW 5000 double, but in the future i will be taking a dominator for a spin. They look so well made that the one man gang could play them! check em out at trickdrums.com
    good luck on getting the right pedal for you!!

User Info Menu

I think this is an older thread but the Pearl Demon pedal is the best thing I have ever played. It is sooooooooooooooo smooth and adjusts very nicely.
    Yamaha Absolute Maple - Apple Sparkle Fade
    2 - 22x18 kick,10x9, 12x10, 13x11, 14x12, 16x16 - toms
    14x5.5 absolute snare
    14x6.5 Mapex Maple Deluxe Black Panther
    Paiste Signature, 2002, Rude and Twenty series Cymbals
    Yamaha, Pearl & DW hardware.

User Info Menu

In my experience the IC connection shaft between the pedals has twisted like putty after playing for about a year. My DW8000 longboards have been bomb proof

User Info Menu

Two words: Iron Cobra. made by Tama.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

i'd recommend the IC's and the pearls.
    i'Ve got the cobras and find them great. they're so smooth but i tried the pearls in a stpre once and though they weren't that smooth i found i could go faster with them. but it's all up to you and your own preference. there's no best. it's like choosing sticks.

User Info Menu

DW's 5000 have been around forever and the design has changed very little for a reason.

User Info Menu

iron cobras are the only ones i have played but i must say they are great!!!

User Info Menu

I would stay with what you're used to, it can be hard to switch, sometimes for the experienced guys it can be harder too because you get so used to doing the double kick in such a specific way that when you switch it can really throw you off.
    All the Best,
    Tom

Drums:
    Ddrum Dominion Dorian 5-piece Kit
    24x18 kick
    13x9 mounted
    14x14 floor
    16x14 floor
    14x4.5 Ludwig Acrolite
    14x11 Custom Yamaha marching snare on floor tom legs

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that
    count. It's the life in your years. --Abraham Lincoln

User Info Menu

Shew... Another forest fire huhI can only say, I used my IC's for a good long while
    and they're good pedals. Have absolutely no experience with DW gear of any sort... I not
    too terribly long ago picked up the Eliminators and the ol' IC's are cased up and sitting...
    Somewhere..? You know what they say about opinions tho...
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

Ive used a Yamaha pedal for years, I tryed a DW 9000 pedal and the Iron cobra, I ended up buying a Pearl eliminator 2000P about 6months ago I realy like it, for 3x the money for the DW its not worth it. Between the Tama and Pearl it just a matter of prefference. really like the feel of the new Yamaha pedals as well might look at it again. aslo might buy the pearl 2000 hi hat stand had my eye on that as well.