Thread: Foo Fighters Sonic Highways

User Info Menu

Default Foo Fighters Sonic Highways

Hi just wondering if any of you have been following Foo Fighters documentary on their new album Sonic Highways.
    I have watched a few episodes and I really enjoy it. The music is excellent as always. Tell me what you think.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Foo Fighters Sonic Highways

I noticed that during the period prior to the release of their two previous albums that there was a spate of semi-documentary stuff and live shows by Foo Fighters televised on Brit TV - they certainly know how to manipulate the media! That's fine by me as I like the band.

I haven't been watching the tube too much over the last few months but I will make a point of checking the listings more closely over the next few weeks. Thanks for the heads up!

User Info Menu

I haven't been watching the series but the song "Something From Nothing" rocks so dang hard.
    Matt

User Info Menu

At first glance I thought this was a promotional thing for the Sonic chain of restaurants.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Watched the first three so far. Love them all, but the Nashville one was my favorite so far. Austin is this week.

User Info Menu

I'm hearing a lot about this lately. All positive. I need to check it out.

Also...Grohl's "Sound City" documentary was great.

User Info Menu

I just watched the trailer on YouTube. This looks outstanding. What a shame it's on HBO, I'll never see it.

User Info Menu

Wow...there's more than just one episode? Thanks for the heads up Gilles. I caught the first one but thought the other episodes were repeats. I didn't know it was a continuing series. It's very well done. I like the insight the recording engineers share as to their own recording "tricks" that's done in the studio. Very well produced documentary. Dave is becoming quite the filmmaker.

User Info Menu

If you notice at the end credits, this is partly produced by David Letterman (Worldwide Pants). So between Dave and Dave, there is some serious capital available to do this right!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Wow...there's more than just one episode? Thanks for the heads up Gilles. I caught the first one but thought the other episodes were repeats. I didn't know it was a continuing series. It's very well done. I like the insight the recording engineers share as to their own recording "tricks" that's done in the studio. Very well produced documentary. Dave is becoming quite the filmmaker.
    Rich, there is 8 episodes altogether, the Nashville one is my fav so far.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

haven't seen it but i did catch Grohl last week on 60 Minutes with Anderson Cooper. I have to say I have a lot of respect for Grohl that i never had before . His views on the current music scene are right on.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Yes Grohl is very talented and successful. He has had a lot of ups and downs with band members change over the years but he is still a great artist IMO

User Info Menu

This has been one of my favorite series I've seen in a while. Dave is the man, he is a very talented guy, I've been a big fan of his for a very long time now. You all can shoot me if you want, but I was never a very big fan of Nirvana, but Dave's playing was so different than what we were getting at the time it was refreshing. Not to mention the passion he puts into his playing! The guy seriously becomes a beast when he sits down on the kit. I love his size choices in toms too...not my thing personally, but it's crazy to watch.

Above everything else though, he just seems like a genuine person, which is very rare these days. He remembers his roots, doesn't seem to follow the trends when it comes to being ignorant about politics, loves his family, and is in my top 5 people I would love to just sit down with a have a beer sometime before I die list lol.

One of my favorite front men of all time. And I agree, whoever said the Austin episode was the best, I loved it. Zack Brown is one bad musician, and I don't get down with too much country, but he's up on that list too.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

I've been following. I'm a fan for sure. Great stuff and great band

User Info Menu

Agreed.

User Info Menu

I also highly recommend his previous documentary Sound City about the LA studio where so many iconic albums were recorded. It's also where Mick Fleetwood met Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham to form Fleetwood Mac. A friend of mine played keyboards on the very first album recorded there, which was by Buckingham Nicks.

User Info Menu

Sound City is an amazing documentary. So are the Sonic Highway min-series. I think New Orleans was my favorite, but they are all really good. I have to think Dave's documentary skills far outweigh the Foo Fighters music as of late

User Info Menu

Yes great episodes and I have been watching them faithfully lol. You get to meet and hear great musicians from all walk of life and the style of music they play and discuss their origins and what inspired them. Great documentary and Dave is great at introducing these famous players. Of course the music is great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    I also highly recommend his previous documentary Sound City about the LA studio where so many iconic albums were recorded. It's also where Mick Fleetwood met Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham to form Fleetwood Mac. A friend of mine played keyboards on the very first album recorded there, which was by Buckingham Nicks.
    I watched that a few weeks ago. It was tremendous.

User Info Menu

Haven't you watched Sonic Highway episode Mark? What are you waiting for lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Haven't you watched Sonic Highway episode Mark? What are you waiting for lol
    I don't have HBO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RHD03 View Post
    ...and is in my top 5 people I would love to just sit down with a have a beer sometime before I die list lol.
    Funny you say that because just the other day one of my friends asked about the top 5 people I'd want to have a beer with and Dave Grohl was one of them!

I'm a huge fan of Dave Grohl but strangely I don't care for any of his bands. I've tried to get into Nirvana and Foo Fighters and neither one really does it for me. But Dave is so talented and passionate and seems like a genuine guy, and I just have massive respect for anyone who's had such a prolific impact on the music industry. He's been in not one but two HUGELY successful bands and he collaborates with so many other big artists, it kind of blows my mind.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post

I'm a huge fan of Dave Grohl but strangely I don't care for any of his bands.
    What about "Them Crooked Vultures"?
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    What about "Them Crooked Vultures"?
    Dave drums with passion....