Thread: Keith Moon

User Info Menu

Default Keith Moon

Do you think its more important to be good technically or just original?cos i gather moon is terrible technically but was so famous cosa his originality.so screw learning rudiments im gna learn to play out of time!!!woo!

User Info Menu

I think Keith was famous because he was such a funny guy and because he was a bloody good drummer but i wouldn't say he played out of time really.

User Info Menu

it's all reletive and based on perspective and completely situational

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia
    it's all reletive and based on perspective and completely situational
    Was that intended not to make sense?

User Info Menu

Translated i think he meant it all depends on wat u think makes a good drummer or a bad drummer

User Info Menu

more or less

User Info Menu

hey i'm not as much an idiot as i thought

User Info Menu

that's always good

User Info Menu

Lol........

User Info Menu

Default Re: Keith Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Markis441 View Post
    hey i'm not as much an idiot as i thought
    I would agree...

User Info Menu

keith moon was famous because of how great he played and all the crazy things he did and the who did with him. nevermind that they were a great band. keith moon definitely had some good skills and i'm sure technically he was very good as well. maybe no marco minneman but great nonetheless - you need to remember that in this age, being able to play 10+ pedals like thomas lang wasn't the aim. with rock 'n roll just basically started it was all about flamboyance, rocking solos and being original in one way or another. and moon managed to tick the box for each category. his comedic stories will always live on but it was another part of moon, he just did whatever he wanted to anytime. anywhere. was it on the drumkit or in a hotel room... that's the great thing about him. he couldn't have cared less of what people thought and actually did certain things just to see the peoples reaction. keep practicing your rudiments, and just be yourself and not moon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jack's_art View Post
    keith moon was famous because of how great he played and all the crazy things he did and the who did with him. nevermind that they were a great band. keith moon definitely had some good skills and i'm sure technically he was very good as well. maybe no marco minneman but great nonetheless - you need to remember that in this age, being able to play 10+ pedals like thomas lang wasn't the aim. with rock 'n roll just basically started it was all about flamboyance, rocking solos and being original in one way or another. and moon managed to tick the box for each category. his comedic stories will always live on but it was another part of moon, he just did whatever he wanted to anytime. anywhere. was it on the drumkit or in a hotel room... that's the great thing about him. he couldn't have cared less of what people thought and actually did certain things just to see the peoples reaction. keep practicing your rudiments, and just be yourself and not moon.
    HOLA como estas Mi amigo JACK'S_ART CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED DRUMMER ARTIST YOUNG CAT within GREAT AWARE-NESS WISDOM KNOWLEDGE * EXCELLENTE AND I am adding KEITH MOON had HIS OWN
    AND VERY DISTINCT ARTISTRY within all his STRUCTURED CONTROLED TECHNIQUE *THAT CAT Love THE OLD SCHOOLED CATS LIKE GENE KRUPA BUDDY RICH MAX ROACH PHILLY JO JONES AND SO VERY MANY more FORSURE he was a very extremmmmxxxxx OUT of THE BOX AMAZING
    ARTIST PERFORMER LIVE AND in THE STUDIO*KEITH was UNIQUE AND VERY DISTINCT within all HIS OWN CREATIVE ARTISTIC SOUL * GRACIAS and THE WHO LOVED HIM AS MILLIONS DID **

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    Do you think its more important to be good technically or just original?cos i gather moon is terrible technically but was so famous cosa his originality.so screw learning rudiments im gna learn to play out of time!!!woo!
    I don't think Moon was technically terrible or really out of time, he was just more famous for his antics and how he behaved

User Info Menu

Keith was a one of a kind drummer that is why it is hard to replicate how he plays. To say he had no real tech skill is not correct, listen to live at leads or quadraphenia, there is some real art work there that requires the tech aspect of drumming.

User Info Menu

See, the thing with Keith Moon is that he wanted to play from start to finish. Every measure he was playing. He could move the drum set better than ANYONE. His fills were unique and so was his style. For crying out loud, when he used double bass, he used his left foot as his lead than switched back to right foot lead when he was using the single.

Keith Moon is easily one of the best drummers to ever touch the Earth.
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

KM was...well, KM. There will be no other like him. As far as the tech side of things, he wasn't Portnoy...but he was still a great drummer.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Keith had his own style. Sloppy, as Tom Smothers called him, but he was spot on! HE gave that band such LIFE! It is a shame it cost him his.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Keith had his own style. Sloppy, as Tom Smothers called him, but he was spot on! HE gave that band such LIFE! It is a shame it cost him his.
    Keith's life is a good reminder that there is always a price to pay for the way that we choose to live. I'll never be as flamboyant as Keith Moon, and it is because I choose a different lifestyle. That is the price I choose to pay. Keith Moon chose a different lifestyle, and he paid a price as well. It's something that we all have to think about. We need to be true to ourselves and not simply live as someone else did.

Drumming is different, though. Experiment and have fun!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I believe that Moon was to The Who what Ringo was to The Beatles, What Bonham was to Led Zep. A equal one fourth contributor to a great sound and great band. Irreplacable.
    Notice how these bands pretty much were over when these guys died. Moons style was one of balls to the wall extravegence, rather than being overly mathematical. But that was the heart and Soul of The Who and their sound.

User Info Menu

I will take Moon anyday rather than over technical drummer who (IMO) bore me!

Plus he was born close to where I was!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Awesome, The Who is my favorite group

User Info Menu

The Who were a very profound group of musicians. They transcended the 3-chord world that made up much of Rock and Roll at the time...just listen to Tommy, the Rock Opera. Without doubt, Keith Moon was a large part of that and fed the craziness of Pete Townsend. Also, Keith was as much a victim as he was a cause of the times. The 60's was a time that was unfettered by convention and he lived the part. Just as did Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison and John Bonham and countless others. I appreciated The Who and Led Zepplin for their music which, ironically enough, had Form and Structure. Keith certainly had technique because it was not possible to perform the antics he did without knowing how to do that. Not anymore than John Bonham could create his signature style without a preliminary knowledge. They both had the "Chops" as well which is saying that they knew how to employ the technic. Keith Moon was no accident as a Drummer. His fault layed in the misconception that drugs and alcohol opened the mind to higher levels of creativity while endearing himself to the populace. The tragedy of his early demise is that it served no purpose.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    The Who were a very profound group of musicians. They transcended the 3-chord world that made up much of Rock and Roll at the time...just listen to Tommy, the Rock Opera. Without doubt, Keith Moon was a large part of that and fed the craziness of Pete Townsend. Also, Keith was as much a victim as he was a cause of the times. The 60's was a time that was unfettered by convention and he lived the part. Just as did Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison and John Bonham and countless others. I appreciated The Who and Led Zepplin for their music which, ironically enough, had Form and Structure. Keith certainly had technique because it was not possible to perform the antics he did without knowing how to do that. Not anymore than John Bonham could create his signature style without a preliminary knowledge. They both had the "Chops" as well which is saying that they knew how to employ the technic. Keith Moon was no accident as a Drummer. His fault layed in the misconception that drugs and alcohol opened the mind to higher levels of creativity while endearing himself to the populace. The tragedy of his early demise is that it served no purpose.
    HOLA como estas Mi amigo FIACOVAZ FRANK Creative artistic open
    minded drummer artist (CAT) within gret wisdom awware-ness Knowledge
    &EXCELLENTE' AMigo AND VERY TRUE *LISTEN to KEITH's DRUM SOLO on SPIDER MAN **1st ALBUM * the CAT new whats UP forsure within his OWN DISTINCT UNIQUE OUT of THE BOX ARTISTRY and the same for RINGO and all those ROJO CALIENTE CATS from that time **GRACIAS