Thread: Drumsticks for rudimental/marching snare playing?

User Info Menu

Question Drumsticks for rudimental/marching snare playing?

Hey everyone, I know there is a section for this but the last post was from awhile ago so I thought I'd post here, hope that's cool. I've been currently working with a lot of snare based stuff (solos, rudiments, sticking patterns, etc.) and have read a bit about using bigger sticks for such playing. Some people say you should just use the sticks you use, but others say to use big sticks like marching guys use as it builds endurance and control of the rudiments. Well, this interest me and I'd like to try to marching sticks for this side of my playing (mostly pad work).

The first ones I found were the Ralphie Jrs. These are .635 and Vic Firth claims they are good for "younger percussionists." Well, I will say I have smaller hands as I am a smaller person of 5'5" so I admit I'm not totally sure how those huge .78-ers will fit. Of course I did find the ScoJos that seem quite popular. Any tips regarding this? I currently use SD4s which are of course light and somewhat thin (like a Vic 7A). Because of this, I'd like to really train myself and challenge myself. I feel that's important.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drumsticks for rudimental/marching snare playing?

I have joined a scottish pipe and drum band and they use James Kilpatrick KP2's from Vic Firth.

Never got a good answer as to why to use thicker sticks but they are really nice sticks.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    I have joined a scottish pipe and drum band and they use James Kilpatrick KP2's from Vic Firth.

Never got a good answer as to why to use thicker sticks but they are really nice sticks.
    Thanks for the response. I've heard the smaller stick won't hold up on marching drums (not sure why). But thanks, I'm going to give those a look!

User Info Menu

I have pretty small hands too and use a vic firth 85a or 8D most of the time, but do use bigger sticks for anything on the practice pad. I use the VF Ralph Hardimon signature sticks for pad work sometimes, so I would imagine you'd be fine with them. They really exploit your technique and take a bit of getting used to but if you can play cleanly & relaxed with those I think you can play cleanly with any sticks!

Although I must admit I much prefer to use a 5A or 2A on the pad than marching sticks, they're bigger than my usual sticks but they don't leave me feeling like I'm playing with pencils when I go back to my 85a's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grace :) View Post
    I have pretty small hands too and use a vic firth 85a or 8D most of the time, but do use bigger sticks for anything on the practice pad. I use the VF Ralph Hardimon signature sticks for pad work sometimes, so I would imagine you'd be fine with them. They really exploit your technique and take a bit of getting used to but if you can play cleanly & relaxed with those I think you can play cleanly with any sticks!

Although I must admit I much prefer to use a 5A or 2A on the pad than marching sticks, they're bigger than my usual sticks but they don't leave me feeling like I'm playing with pencils when I go back to my 85a's.
    Hey Grace, glad to hear someone with a similar situation (smaller hands) has used his sticks and has liked them. I may or may not get those Ralphie Jrs. regardless as they are still quite bigger, but may just go for the regular size. Glad to hear someone is using using marching sticks for practice. Has it worked well for you?

User Info Menu

Got a pair of those Ralph Hardimon sticks, really liking them so far. When I go back to using my SD4s it's as if I'm holding chopsticks! I will say they're very bouncy and really get you to work on grabbing the rebound. It makes me curious how the SD1s would feel on the drumset. I play more jazz and blues but a bigger pair of sticks might be cool to try?

User Info Menu

Glad to hear you're liking them Zack, They definitely make your fingers work!

I think you might struggle to get the subtlety you need in Jazz when playing kit with a pair of bulky SD1's....but I haven't tried so I could well be wrong!