• 8" to 10"

5 18.52%
  • 10" to 12"

3 11.11%
  • more than 12"

2 7.41%

Thread: Throne to snare distance

User Info Menu

Default How far do you sit behind the kit?

Since I started playing 1 up 2 down, I've been having a little difficulty reaching my 16" floor tom. Well, I just recently tried scooting my throne back a couple inches, and it made a world of difference. The whole kit feels more comfortable. Which got me thinking, what is the average distance drummers sit from their kit? I think the easiest way to measure it is the distance from the edge of the throne to the edge of the snare drum. I understand it's going to vary, based on your height, but this will give an average. So please feed my curiosity by making a quick measurement and posting your answer in the poll. And feel free to share any explanation or similar stories.

ETA: for my Metric friends, 6" = 15.24 cm, 8" = 20.32 cm, 10" = 25.4 cm, 12" = 30.48 cm.
    Last edited by Powertrip240; 11-08-2014 at 07:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Throne to snare distance

Mine is 6" to 7" from the edge of throne to snare. If I play my Pearl Forums with deep toms over 22" kick I raise the throne slightly and move closer to snare. If I'm using my Sonor Jungle with 16" kick or my 18" bop kick with shallower toms the throne is lowered slightly and moved further back from the snare.

I play 2 up one down on all my kits.

I'm 6' tall (1.88m), don't know if this has any relevance.
    Last edited by crispycritters; 11-08-2014 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Missed something

User Info Menu

I never measured it but as long as there is room for my gut not touching the snare is the right distance lol I am guessing 8-10 inches

User Info Menu

I actually keep my seat pretty far back... but I only sit on the outer edge. But I keep quite a bit of distance from the snare drum but I've never felt like i was too far or reaching

User Info Menu

I always have the snare tucked right up between my legs, touching my inner thighs. I'm guessing that would put the throne distance at around 6" to 8". That said, I usually sit fairly far back away from the bass drum (even though I play heel-up). I'm 6'-1" and have pretty long arms & legs. I'm guessing heel-up/down makes a difference in terms of how far back from the bass you sit??
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I could messure it soon but you all really don't care.

User Info Menu

Mine is right about 8 inches. I'm short, 5'5".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I never measured it but as long as there is room for my gut not touching the snare is the right distance lol I am guessing 8-10 inches
    Guilty...

But I have no idea on the actual distance.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Simple.
    An arms' length away?
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

I like mine at about 6" on both my setups---my practice/gigging set is a 1 up 1 down with single pedal, and my studio set is a 2 up 1 down with double pedal

User Info Menu

Who knows. Probably not the same each time I set up. Whatever feels right.

User Info Menu

Depends on the chair and the size of the snare. My seat is square so there's less distance there.
    Thumpin' Scott Comet
    Cool Cajon (Erakkustik), Nice C0cktail Kit (Gretsch Brooklyn), Peculiar Bop Kit (Whitney), Boring 5-piece Normie Kit (Yamaha)

User Info Menu

I have a 2 up 2 down kit, and I'm very short (5'6"). I have my throne about 6" from the snare, and I have to really squeeze in when I first sit down; there isn't really enough of a gap between the snare and the front of the throne for my leg to clear the snare if I try to sit on the throne seat (legs away from the snare) and swivel back into position.

Regarding tom positions, I found that it was difficult to reach both of my toms (a 14" and 16") with the 16" in tight to my right side, and not too long ago, I decided to try moving the 16" outboard, more like 30 degrees out from the 14", instead of the almost 90 degrees that it used to be. I had been thinking that keeping the 16" as physically close to me as possible was the 'right' thing to do, because I'd seen it done that way by so many others, but keeping it further away makes it much easier to play. I guess I learned that a kit setup is REALLY an individual issue, and you really shouldn't try to copy anyone else. It's just what works for you!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    I have a 2 up 2 down kit, and I'm very short (5'6"). I have my throne about 6" from the snare, and I have to really squeeze in when I first sit down; there isn't really enough of a gap between the snare and the front of the throne for my leg to clear the snare if I try to sit on the throne seat (legs away from the snare) and swivel back into position.

Regarding tom positions, I found that it was difficult to reach both of my toms (a 14" and 16") with the 16" in tight to my right side, and not too long ago, I decided to try moving the 16" outboard, more like 30 degrees out from the 14", instead of the almost 90 degrees that it used to be. I had been thinking that keeping the 16" as physically close to me as possible was the 'right' thing to do, because I'd seen it done that way by so many others, but keeping it further away makes it much easier to play. I guess I learned that a kit setup is REALLY an individual issue, and you really shouldn't try to copy anyone else. It's just what works for you!
    I just recently did the exact same thing with my 16" floor tom (on a 1 up 2 down set-up), and got the same results. I found it much easier to reach by pushing it a little further away. Funny how that works!

User Info Menu

I have never measured, but I like my upper arm to be in a relaxed position when striking the center of the snare. Basically, the elbow is directly below the shoulder or as close to that as practical. That makes for relaxed playing and also makes it easy to reach the rack toms.

User Info Menu

I had the same issue last year regarding playing a 1 up/2 down kit. I was having to twist too much, so I just mounted my 14" off to the left of my hi-hats. Works for me! I didn't have to adjust my drum throne.

User Info Menu

I'm 4.5" from throne to snare.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I like everything as close as possible to eliminate wasted movement. With a big kit this is especially important.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Heck of a view 8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray on the Drums View Post
    Heck of a view 8
    Thanks Ray!

User Info Menu

14"

i got girth ...haha

i sit on the edge of my throne ..better for getting a straight back

User Info Menu

Constantly changing when ever i have friends over and they get behind my kit they move my throne so its not very consistent. as well when i tune i have to take it out to sit else where
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

After seeing late8's measurement I had to go and measure mine.
    Mine is only 2" away. I have short legs.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Upon further review, I'm about 2" away from my snare. So my vote should have been less than 6".
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash