Thread: Custom Drums

User Info Menu

Default Custom Drums

As you can tell I'm new to the board here. I've been looking around and researching for a drum company that makes good custom drums. I was hoping that most of you people on this board can recommend me a couple of companies I can look into. Also your opinions on other companies. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

User Info Menu

Welcome tubbywonder!! (great name)....... Give your thread a little time, most people come on at night and I'm sure someone will answer your question. Glad to have you here at drumchat. Kick up your feet, get comfy and stay a while. We love newbies!

User Info Menu

I've heard of Conaway drums and seen a few of their sets at a local drum shop. They're supposed to be one of the best, but I don't have any real experience. The shells are all keller maple and they have really cool finishes and hardware.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

What do you mean by "custom". Like hand-made exclusively for you by a boutique drum company or like the SQ2's or DeLites by Sonor or a DW custom made set? For my money, I'd go with an established name company like Sonor or DW over any boutique shop.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

I agree with Stix. Most of the custom boutique drums use the same materials and whatnot. Name brands give you what you want, especially DW.

User Info Menu

Cool Custom Drums

Hey, tubby--welcome aboard...as d_c says, you have an appropriate name (since drummers are often referred to as tub-thumpers!).

If I were going custom, I would take a look at the DWs, since I've heard very few complaints about them from fellow drumchatters...

Again, welcome to DrumChat...and...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

PO' Boy drums are amazing from what I hear, I recommend checking them out.

User Info Menu

I just ran into PO' Boy drums the other day. I think they deserve a good look.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I guess everyone else already said it, but DW buddy. Noone really does custom drums like DW. You can even build your custom kit on their website, and have it shipped to the closest dealer to you.

User Info Menu

I play around on that site at school for fun lol

User Info Menu

I have to say that even though my main kit is the DW collectors series and I LOVE them but there's plenty of companies out there that have MORE custom options than DW. As far as quality, yes DW has the name but in the last five years or so MANY companies have came out that are doing some crazy things. If anyone has been to NAMM they know what I'm talking about. I'm actually in the process of getting a custom kit in the near future myself. One good thing also about some of these newer companies is that they'll drop prices and give some really sweet endorsements to make their folks happy. Just look around and search custom drums online and check out the "Custom" options you want and what they can actually offer.

What custom options are you looking for that production line companies can't/won't do? I'll make a big list in a little while on some custom companies I've been looking into. For now, off the top of my head I really like what Orange County does "except for the price", and Battelfield is a Christian based company that really listens as well as Shine Drums. DDrums "known for their triggers" have been really pushing the envelope on drums in the past few years when they came out making acoustics. There's many more I'll add later. Blessings.........