Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: songs you think shouldn't be covered

User Info Menu

Default Re: songs you think shouldn't be covered

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    WOW, I feel really bad for all of them..YIKES!!!
    PF is way above their abilities at this point. They should just do some 3 chord stuff at least until they can get their collective groove going.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    Well, of course you cna cover anything, but some songs just are best left not doing.

Money is probably the only PF song you can cover. Stairway with a snare, well perhaps I shouldn't complain, the open attitude to music in Prague/Czech Republic allows my horrible skills on stage at least once a month.

Our new guy was in a band that did mostly covers, they had 50-70 songs in their repertoire and 9 originals. If I include songs we've never practiced but could probably cover, we have +/- 18 songs total, 10 originals. Cause when you're making your own stuff, even the sky ain't the limit (Miles Davis).
    I don't agree with anything your thread states. What determines that some songs just are best left not "covering"? Songs you can't play, or songs you think can't be duplicated correctly? The only thing that would dictate this train of thought would only be something that would be fabricated in your own mind. No basis in fact. We cover Pink Floyd (albums) as well as songs all the time and duplicate them quite well. Also, when you are making your own music, the sky is the limit, which is to say there is no limit.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

We played "Bat out of Hell" for years after we were told that it wouldn't "work".

User Info Menu

I'm not saying don't do covers, but not every song should be. And unless it's your full-time job, a band shouldn't only do covers imo (if it's how you put bread on the table, that's a different story).

We print flyers for our gigs with the set list, so people know whose songs are whose (because it must be hard to understand, when the singer says, "This is another original" "the drummer wrote the lyrics to this one" that means it's not a cover). People said they'd like to hear us do more originals...even though 75% of the set is!

You don't hear a lot of James Brown covers, not his major songs (get up, brand new bag). I'd add those to my list as well.
    Cover bands are a viable music form, whether you pay the bills that way or not. There are a hundred "originals" bands in my city and only a handful that really have a legitimate songwriter involved. They typically play showcase events and do one 30-45 minute set, many times on a weeknight. They often don't get paid or worse, have to sell a certain number of tickets to even get on the stage. Cover bands play a lot and typically get paid. 3- or 4-hour gigs are the norm. I am not ashamed to play in a cover band that does zero originals. I quite enjoy it actually.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    I don't agree with anything your thread states. What determines that some songs just are best left not "covering"? Songs you can't play, or songs you think can't be duplicated correctly? The only thing that would dictate this train of thought would only be something that would be fabricated in your own mind. No basis in fact. We cover Pink Floyd (albums) as well as songs all the time and duplicate them quite well. Also, when you are making your own music, the sky is the limit, which is to say there is no limit.
    So you play full PF albums live? That's cool and I believe you when you say you play it well. I just feel that if you're doing your own thing, there are a few songs out there that putting in your set, no matter how well you play them, just won't work because all I'm gonna hear (at best) is the same version of the original song.

And since music is subjective, there can be no "basis in fact" in fact, all music is "fabricated in (someone's) mind". It does happen, however, that a consensus develops over what is, and what is not generally acceptable (see, for example, John Coltrane's last few years). Therefore, while these ideas indeed are individually subjective, we can find collective agreement over them.
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

My only problem with covers, is at least play them correctly. You could be butchering someone's favorite song badly, and just lost some potential fan base.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by piratemonkey124 View Post
    You could be butchering someone's favorite song badly
    Good point!

User Info Menu

It does happen, however, that a consensus develops over what is, and what is not generally acceptable (see, for example, John Coltrane's last few years).

I've often wondered who decides what is or isn't "acceptable.

User Info Menu

I've been told it's generally a mistake for a band to attempt "Smells like teen spirit". The vocals are a bit much for most to recreate accurately.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

So you play full PF albums live? That's cool and I believe you when you say you play it well. I just feel that if you're doing your own thing, there are a few songs out there that putting in your set, no matter how well you play them, just won't work because all I'm gonna hear (at best) is the same version of the original song.

That's the thing. We're not doing our own thing. We're "covering" a song. Which to me means that when you "cover" a song, you're playing it as close to the vest as talent allows. As opposed to "playing along to a song" which to me means that you can deviate from the original because your just "playing along to it". So in the end what you will hear is the original hopefully. Which I think is the point of doing covers, or playing in a tribute band. For lack of a better statement, honoring the bands songs.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I've been told it's generally a mistake for a band to attempt "Smells like teen spirit". The vocals are a bit much for most to recreate accurately.
    I agree, heard that too.

I was in a band a few years back that covered Nirvana's Come As You Are and our lead singer came pretty darn close to reproducing Kurt's raspy vocal style. I'm not sure if he would have been brave enough to tackle Teen Spirit though ...

User Info Menu

I saw a band do Alice in chains once. Guitar player hit the right notes but didn't play it correctly. Was letting each note ring out, when the original is muted. Didn't sound right at all.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    It does happen, however, that a consensus develops over what is, and what is not generally acceptable (see, for example, John Coltrane's last few years).

I've often wondered who decides what is or isn't "acceptable.
    The fans, Coltrane played to full audiences, then started doing this really avant garde stuff, people stopped listening. I love Coltrane, one of my all time faves of any genre, but I can't listen to his later stuff.

I've heard good covers of Teen Spirit (e.g. Paul Anka), but all of them completely different from the original. And that's kinda my point, some songs you really can't transform (unless, perhaps if you go orchestral, but that's quite different i believe).
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Money is probably the only PF song you can cover.

My group does Brick In The Wall, Wish You Were Here (which then morphs into a part of Us and Them) and Comfortably Numb.

They are without question a few of the most requested songs we do.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.