Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next project- my jungle kit

User Info Menu

Default Next project- my jungle kit

I'm starting this week on building my own custom jungle kit ( or martini, coktail, whatever it's called). I'm using 16" FT shell for the bass, a 13" shell for the FT and an 8" shell for the mounted Tom. The 16" & 13" both came from an old Taiwan kit (Pearl knockoff) that I bought for parts off CL for $100. The shells are thin Luan with coated interiors. The wood is pretty cheap, but it will work fine. Best of all, it will be light weight. The 8" Tom came from eBay. It's an old Ludwig JR tom, and is actually fairly good quality. The best part is the double ended lugs actually match the old Pearl style of the other drums .
    I'll use various old hardware I have lying around for the Tom mounts, arms, spurs, legs, etc.. This will be a low-buck kit, but I plan on using it for small venue gigs ( if it turns out good).
    Tonight, I'll start sanding the shells, patching any bad spots, etc.. We'll see what direction this takes once I get started
    Here's some pics of the shells to start.

-Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Next project- my jungle kit

Looking forward to this project.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Awesome. Keep us posted on the progress.

Tex

User Info Menu

I really wanted a 10" mounted tom, but they proved too hard to find cheap ones. I couldn't pass up the 8", especially since the shell construction and lugs matched the rest of the kit. So.....now I have a decision to make. Do I still use the 13" for the floor tom, or should I use the 12" (since the mounted is only 8")?
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I really wanted a 10" mounted tom, but they proved too hard to find cheap ones. I couldn't pass up the 8", especially since the shell construction and lugs matched the rest of the kit. So.....now I have a decision to make. Do I still use the 13" for the floor tom, or should I use the 12" (since the mounted is only 8")?
    The Sonor Martini kit uses a 13" FT with a 8" mounted tom. There are a couple of vids on youtube that are probable worth checking out. If in doubt - why not try the 13 and 12 once you have sorted the kick and tom mounting system - if the toms have the Pearl type mounting arrangements you can slide a tom tube into the bottom section of most cymbal stands stand or clamp to a spare stand to mount them temporarily before making a decision which one to use.

My Sonor Jungle kit (an earlier one - about 12 years old I think) has a 13" FT - IMO it is the best sounding drum on the kit.

User Info Menu

I've been using my Manu Katche Hipgig a lot lately. Stripped, sanded stained and Minwaxed. They were Bozo blue. Much better. Paid $300 @ the Pro drum Shop for them off the used rack. Jazz trio, R&B covers, 9 pc swing band. 10/13/16. Been really good, to the point where I've been thinking of 1 upping it. I've got 10/13 SSB Gretsch orphans. Just need to find a suitable donor bass drum. Not sure if it's really worth the work, tho. The Yammies have been really good..... Oh, yeah, that's a '50's WFL Pioneer mahogany snare. Just can't use the 12" with brushes.....
    Last edited by bdonley; 11-10-2014 at 11:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Looks like a great project!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Subscribed!

User Info Menu

Update-

Still working on this as free time allows. It been so nice this winter (high of 66*F today) that I've been spending most free time outside. I'll post some more update pics later today.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

66 degrees....WOW it's 20 over here on the east coast. Looking forward to pics

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjig View Post
    66 degrees....WOW it's 20 over here on the east coast. Looking forward to pics
    Yep. This weather is nuts. Nebraska in January should be a high in the teens and a low near or below zero.....and snow, LOL. I just took my dogs on a walk....in a short sleeved T-shirt....and I was comfortable.
    This is not right. Reminds me of a couple winters ago when the jet stream was all messed up. One week of 60* and sunny, next week of sub-zero, next week of warm & sunny.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Been sanding the shells and working on rebuilding the bearing edges. Not much to see at this point, but I should have some good stuff by this week end. For now, I'll post some pics of the inspiration for this kit.

I have some good ideas that should translate the theme without being too "cheesey" or looking like a toy drum kit.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Yep. This weather is nuts. Nebraska in January should be a high in the teens and a low near or below zero.....and snow, LOL. I just took my dogs on a walk....in a short sleeved T-shirt....and I was comfortable.
    This is not right. Reminds me of a couple winters ago when the jet stream was all messed up. One week of 60* and sunny, next week of sub-zero, next week of warm & sunny.
    I have an aunt, uncle and cousins that live in Omaha and I always felt bad for them in the winter. I don't know the earth is really changing.

User Info Menu

Should definitely be an interesting finished kit. Make sure to keep us updated.

User Info Menu

Been sanding the shells and working on rebuilding the bearing edges. Not much to see at this point, but I should have some good stuff by this week end. For now, I'll post some pics of the inspiration for this kit.

I have some good ideas that should translate the theme without being too "cheesey" or looking like a toy drum kit.
    Kind of reminds me of the Gretsch '57 color scheme

User Info Menu

That's going to look amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Kind of reminds me of the Gretsch '57 color scheme
    I originally wanted to do a 2-tone chevron theme, but I don't want it to look like a Gretsch '57 copy-cat. I decided to just do the skymist green and white coated heads on the bass and FT. I'm doing something different and creative with the 8" mounted tom. I'm going to TRY to have Bum Wrap color match the original Ford paint. I want it to remind people of a '55 T-bird/Fairlane without actually looking like an automotive theme. I want it to look like a drum kit from that era, just based on the styling.

I'm also thinking of doing a 1 up (8") and 2 down (12" & 13") configuration. That should set it apart from the typical "jungle" kit.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

are you going to powder coat your hardware white? You should

User Info Menu

No.......I'm not a big fan of painted hardware. Although, you're right. It might look good in this case. These shells are cheap Taiwan knock-offs and the hardware is not really high enough quality to justify paint. As it is, I'd be money (and quality) ahead to just buy a new Breakbeat or Safari kit. I'll probably have close to $300 in it with new heads and all. But, this is waaaay more fun!
    -Brian

User Info Menu

No.......I'm not a big fan of painted hardware. Although, you're right. It might look good in this case. These shells are cheap Taiwan knock-offs and the hardware is not really high enough quality to justify paint. As it is, I'd be money (and quality) ahead to just buy a new Breakbeat or Safari kit. I'll probably have close to $300 in it with new heads and all. But, this is waaaay more fun!
    I have the same feelings about a shell pack I put together out of used drums. A 10,12,14,18 - with a used14" Meridian Birch snare although they are from mixed shells from different starter kits I get more satisfaction from owning and playing them than I do from my Sonor Jungle kit. that is an intermediate (Maple with basswood) with quality finish and 400 series hardware.

When I sat down and added up the cost of everything my d.i.y. kit cost more than the (used Sonor) - and close to the cost of a new Tama Silverstar bop kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    When I sat down and added up the cost of everything my d.i.y. kit cost more than the (used Sonor) - and close to the cost of a new Tama Silverstar bop kit
    Now you know. It's not cheap to do mods but the satisfaction and "new identity" of the modded components is a great feeling though not for profit minded fellows.

I put way more into my resurrection kit than it'll ever be worth but it was fun during the project.

Move forward, young pioneer. Let the revitalization begin.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

The most cost effective solution I found was EBay. Buying new parts adds up FAST. I bought mostly used parts when I refurbished my Maxwin kit. Used wood hoops, used suspension mount and vintage MIJ rail mount for the 13" tom, etc.. I have parted out several cheap Taiwan kits, so I have a large supply of used tension rods, hoops, mounts and even good heads. The problem is, I still want to buy new stuff.
    On this kit, I need (want) a suspension mount for the 8" tom....a good idea for a small tom in my opinion. I'm afraid the tube mount will kill what little resonance and volume an 8" Tom produces. I also want a Pearl JG16 conversion kit for the 16" FT bass. I could use existing Spurs and Pearl style tom brackets....... but it just doesn't fit my "vision", LOL.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

You can build your own tom to bass conversion gadget. Why spend $$?

all the best...

User Info Menu

So.......only 4 days after bragging about 66 degree & sunny weather, we get 8" of snow, high winds and sub zero temps. The forecast for tomorrow is 2"-3" more snow and a low of 13 degrees BELOW zero. I think I'll stay inside and work on my drums!
    I managed to get the structural repairs done on 13"FT shell. I plugged the 3 bolt holes and the 1" hole where the Pearl style mount was. I used dowel rod on the bolt holes and cut a custom plug from an old REMO shell for the tube hole. I used a 2-part epoxy wood filler to make everything smooth & flush. I also filled the seam on the outer ply. It doesn't need to be perfect, since the outside will be wrapped and the inside of the shells will be painted.

-Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    You can build your own tom to bass conversion gadget. Why spend $$?

all the best...
    I might resort to that. I have tons of FT legs I could bend for the front....or even install some Spurs. Building a riser block would be easy as well. I just kinda like the design of the JG-16 kit.
    -Brian