Thread: signature line

User Info Menu

Default signature line

Is there anything real special about signature snares or cymbal against regular snare or cymbal by the company. Ie Chad Smith sig snare?
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Default Re: signature line

Depends on the particular drum. Some are just something they slap the artists name on to boost sales in a particular demographic ie the Jordison sig kit are just Visions. Some are actually designed to the artists specs Tico Torres sig (I know he no longer uses it but he actually did for years)

User Info Menu

I have wondered about this question myself. They do seem to retain a higher resale value - when "signature" snares and cymbals are posted on eBay etc they seem to attract a lot of interest (and bids). I suppose that if you were to buy one used and sell it at a later date due to change of band/interest/style of music etc theoretically it would cost you nothing to own, but I believe this would also be the case if you bought used and resold almost any quality snare or cymbal. I acknowledge that resale value is not an issue for many and if you want one of these you will have to dig deep into your pockets to pay for it. I'm trying to make a decision whether to go for a used Chad Smith sig or a Black Panther 'Blade' snare (used) - so far I have bid on several but they ended up selling for more than I could afford and I had to bail.

There is currently a Pearl Jordison sig kit for sale , the seller seems to be under the impression it is worth almost full original list price (it keeps getting relisted and has been up for grabs for ages now) - I think he will have a long wait

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Depends on the particular drum. Some are just something they slap the artists name on to boost sales in a particular demographic ie the Jordison sig kit are just Visions. Some are actually designed to the artists specs Tico Torres sig (I know he no longer uses it but he actually did for years)

This is my opinion as well. Some signature cymbals and drums are amazing while others sound awful to my ears (I'm not naming particulars b/c I don't know who all owns what on here, but I do have my opinions). Without naming names, upper-end/more expensive signature drum gear tends to sound better than lower-end/less expensive drum gear.

I don't know about drums, but good-gosh-almighty does Martin guitars throw crazy price tags on their signature guitars!

Martin 000-28 standard guitar is about $1200 CHEAPER than the Martin 000-28 Eric Claption Signature. Same woods, same finish...except for the the name.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CB700 View Post
    Is there anything real special about signature snares or cymbal against regular snare or cymbal by the company. Ie Chad Smith sig snare?
    As far as I know, Chad Smith had been playing COB sensitone elites live, not the signature model. Word on the street is that he's working with Pearl on a new signature model.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

from what i've noticed, not many drummers who have a signature product actually use that product. I kinda get ?uestlove's kit, he's thinking about what kit an urban drummer might want (so what would've been good for him maybe before The Roots blew up). Otherwise, I think it's just a money grab if they don't use it themselves.

Yes, I have a signature cymbal. I got it used, liked the sound, never have listened to Mel Lewis's music to be honest.
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

I think artists are more likely to use a Signature cymbal than a drum set/kit.

We can all think of drummers who have collaborated with cymbal companies to make "their" preferred/favoured cymbal sound, and use it.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

I sometimes consider a signature piece of equipment. Only thing I can think of using at one time were the Tommy Lee Ahead sticks. One drum that has sparked interest a few times though is the signature Shawn Drover ddrum 7x14 aluminum snare.

You can find these all day for around $100 or sometimes less. Seems like a lot of drum for not much money. I've seen other ddrum's up close and the parts look to be a little on the cheap side. The lugs almost look like plastic which are the same ones on the Drover snare. I'm not knocking ddrum. They have some impressive things on their website. They really punched through with their e-kit technology which I think they are best known for but do have some nice acoustic stuff too.

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Well when I saw this drum down town, I knew I had to have it! It isn't exactly what Danny plays, but it is still pretty awesome!

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Sticks4drums; 11-13-2014 at 07:13 AM.

User Info Menu

I also have most of Neil's Paragons, which are the same as what he uses.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    from what i've noticed, not many drummers who have a signature product actually use that product. I kinda get ?uestlove's kit, he's thinking about what kit an urban drummer might want (so what would've been good for him maybe before The Roots blew up). Otherwise, I think it's just a money grab if they don't use it themselves.

Yes, I have a signature cymbal. I got it used, liked the sound, never have listened to Mel Lewis's music to be honest.
    For what it's worth, ?uestlove claims to use the breakbeats kit in the Roots dressing room that that they converted to a studio for the Jimmy Fallon show, just not live on stage.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I didn't realize it at the time of purchase but the 13" Sabian Evolution hihats I bought has Dave Weckl's signature on the bottom cymbal cup. For me, it didn't add any value to the hihats but if I were a die-hard Weckl fan, maybe his signature would of meant more? I never really bought into the "signature" thing....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    i'm after Tico's snare if any one has one going.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I didn't realize it at the time of purchase but the 13" Sabian Evolution hihats I bought has Dave Weckl's signature on the bottom cymbal cup. For me, it didn't add any value to the hihats but if I were a die-hard Weckl fan, maybe his signature would of meant more? I never really bought into the "signature" thing....

If you ever get the chance you should scribble all over Dave Weckl's cymbals and see how he likes it. Well. maybe not. About a year ago I was interested in buying a used Meinl Billy Cobham Tri-tonal Signature Heavy Ride (B8) that was listed on eBay - although it didn't achieve a particularly high price (£50 ish) I bailed on the bidding pretty early because the cymbal was really grimy - I knew I would clean it, probably fade the labels and remove the signature and it would be worth zero. I would have liked to own the cymbal - not too interested paying for the signature. As yours are signed on the inside of the bell you won't have this problem.

I saw a episode of Storage Wars on TV recently. One of the bidders bought a storage unit containing a drum kit (good quality not sure of model) which would have sold for under $1,000, as the guy knew Steward Copeland he asked him to value it, then after the valuation asked him to sign the kit, he did - hey presto, same drum kit now sells for 3 times the price. Stupidity.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    i'm after Tico's snare if any one has one going.
    Me too!

User Info Menu

Weezy Chad Smith does have a new sig snare with Pearl. I heard the drum from Cooper drummer on his YouTube channel. That is why I was asking. thanks for all the responses.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Signature products.. I think the idea of using a celebrity's name to market something to the customer is both brilliant and shameless at the same time. A lot of unsuspecting people will see the endorser's name on it and automatically assume it's better than an unsigned item of equal or greater value. They're preying on customers like vultures and walking off with wallets laughing all the way to the bank. Sometimes a signature snare or cymbal will be differently designed than the other models, but sometimes not. I've seen a fair bit of hit and misses in the "signature drumkit" world - they'll put a graphic on it, and give little to no attention to the quality otherwise. You have to know what you're buying beforehand, otherwise the vultures will swoop down and have you for lunch.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

A rip off IMHO.

User Info Menu

I have a Mike Portnoy signature snare drum... it's definitely unique to him and it offered the double throw off option which was pretty cool. But honestly I own it and i've never used it because for some crazy reason I just can't get it to sound good... so I just added it to my Dream Theater collection pile since I'm a DT nut.