Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how do you learn new songs?

User Info Menu

Default how do you learn new songs?

i put on the song via my iTunes account and plug into my pa amp and crank it up or I use head phones and just start playing it over and over again
    the hardest part is remembering when to stop and start

do you guys make notes? or just play it enough to remember?

do you learn song and play it basically like the drummer in band plays or add your own twist?
    Kreg
    First concert the Beatles 1966
    Love to rock and roll with my set of Rogers

User Info Menu

Default Re: how do you learn new songs?

I listen to it, then play along to it. I then look for live version and hope to catch glimpses of how the original drummer plays it live which is usually a little different. I then look for drum covers of the song on youtube and usually get a few different interpretations of the song.

some songs I will look for tabs or sheet music and others is not required.
    I have also recently started using the jammit app and absolutely love it, they have a small amount of songs (unless your a dream theatre fan) but are adding new ones just about every week.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I always listen to a song over and over and work out the drum parts before I start to play the song on the kit. I have a list of songs that I can play in theory, but I haven't actually played them on a kit yet.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Listen to it a bunch of times. Get the sheet music if I can get my hands on it. Work on it for a while on the kit. Once I get the framework of the song down, I then add my take on it so that it's not just a regurgitation of the original. Usually jot down some notes that I then put down on our set lists as reminders of certain things. Since, at this point in my life, this is just a hobby I don't really put in the practice time necessary to remember everything perfectly.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 01-04-2014 at 08:05 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info. It was helpful
    Kreg

User Info Menu

With the recording, chart out the general form on a piece of paper (no. of choruses, verses, etc.). Write down any unique fills or beats. Familiarize yourself with the whole song then break it down.

User Info Menu

When i learn new songs i allready have the song transcribed for me from my drum teacher. I import the song into my ipod and use a software called Amazing Slow Downer by Roni Music. This allows my to read the drum notes and play along to the song at 50% all the way to 100% speed. Its a great tool.

User Info Menu

I just listen to them before I even try to sit down at the kit and work it out. But most of the time once I sit down, it only takes a go or two to get the song down, then I may add my own twist
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

I listen then mind drum then jump on the kit any try it out.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

This

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post
    I just listen to them before I even try to sit down at the kit and work it out. But most of the time once I sit down, it only takes a go or two to get the song down, then I may add my own twist
    and this

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    I listen then mind drum then jump on the kit any try it out.

I will sit at my computer and play the song over and over until I can air/desk drum it. Then it's down to the kit to iron out any surprises.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

All the ways listed here I use at one point or another. All very good suggestions.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I play along with a recording lots of times.

It usually doesn't have to be exactly like the recording. I think it is more important to have a steady groove that the other musicians can build on than fancy stuff.

User Info Menu

Some very good suggestions here. Unless its a very technical piece I usually just give it a listen or two before jumping on the kit. You'll figure out what works best for you.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    I listen to it, then play along to it. I then look for live version and hope to catch glimpses of how the original drummer plays it live which is usually a little different. I then look for drum covers of the song on youtube and usually get a few different interpretations of the song.
    This. And after that it's a matter of just playing it over and over until I get it down. I like to play it as close to the original as possible.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Agreed with everything said...listen to the song over and over. Not so much that you're just mentally numb, but enough times to where you're starting to feel the song "sink in," for lack of a better way to put it. Also, if there's any available video of the original artist drumming the track on YouTube, watch that intently!

User Info Menu

yeah agreed. I listen to it a bunch, then I just go for it but first time around holding a steady beat throughout Until I start picking up his fills and etc.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the answers and suggestions. !!
    Kreg

User Info Menu

For me, it kind of depends on why I am learning a song....

Regardless, I always listen to a song several times first. If I hear it enough, I will eventually learn the structure.

If I am trying to learn cool fills, and can't quite figure them out, there is usually always someone on YouTube with a video of how to play it. Work it out slow with a metronome and bring it to speed as I can.

If I am learning songs for a gig, it depends on how much time I have... I was doing a sub for a band last year and I had less than 2 weeks to know 40+ songs. One thing that really helped me out for songs that were hard to memorize, I typed out the lyrics to the song. In the editor I used different color highlights/background to identify verse, chorus, break, etc. I would practice the song while looking at the color coded lyric sheet. That created a visual that helped me memorize more quickly.
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

I tend to learn most songs in the car, I will listen to them repeatedly until I know them. I have learned many songs on the way to the gig this way, ;-)
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Drumstick in one hand and steering wheel in the other!!
    Kreg

User Info Menu

I have found you have to be careful with Youtube covers. Even good ones from the veteran Youtube drummers. They sometime will change up beats to avoid having videos pulled. Making hard little bad habits hard to break.

I have also found listening to songs like others have said but also mimicking the basic drum beats with your mouth first helps with the basics of it and speed.

If you can't do it with your mouth, you can't jump behind a kit and do it either.

User Info Menu

There was an article with Josh Freese in the latest Drum! magazine regarding charts and how to get songs down fast.

I was looking forward to it, seeing as he fills in for several big name bands and does it extremely well, but it was actually a little disappointing as they didn't illustrate how he breaks songs down.

User Info Menu

if i wanna hear a song once then immediately go practice to it with minimal mistakes. I listen to it really well making sure that i hear the music and the words, and not listen to intently to the drum parts. because when you get the music down, you'll know when to throw in your own stuff on the drums while your playing the song. if you wanna copy the drum parts(which i don't get, but to each his own) then pay attention to the music and how the drums accent certain parts and what not. Sometimes i even pat the song out with my hands while listening to make sure my timing is in line with the drummer on the album.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

I'm not really into homework per se. I'll give the song a listen or two, and just bang my way through it at band practice. Idk. I never played anything super technical, so YMMV
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

To paraphrase Yogi Berra:

Hear song, play song.