Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheat Sheets

User Info Menu

Default Cheat Sheets

Hi Guys! I'm playing a gig this weekend, filling in for a drummer in a function band. I've only had a couple of weeks to learn the songs, and let's just say there are a lot of them! Anyway, for most of the songs I have written out a "cheat sheet".. the song structure, number of bars in each section, and any notes that may help me out.

My question is, if any of you guys use these or sheet music, and you don't have a music stand, where do you find is the best place to put the sheets? I would put them just beside my hi hat stand, but I don't want to be looking down for the whole gig...

Any ideas?
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cheat Sheets

Duct tape it to a stand, or break down and go buy a music stand....sounds a lot more complicated than my cheat sheets....# of bars? notes? My sheets consist of..."guitar starts song", and "stop after 2nd chorus"...
    What's a function band?

User Info Menu

I did think about duct taping to stands, but I'd have quite a few to put up then rip off... There not really that complicated, just a few pointers so I know to play 4 on the floor and not 32 note bass drums.. I've only had my spare time in just under two weeks

And by function band I mean the sort of band you'd see playing at a wedding or private party, etc.
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

I had a much smaller one (for our own songs, because I suck), set list and a few notes for some songs. I put it on top of the BD. But Russ is right, buy a music stand.

Must be some complicated songs, lots of stops ect eh?
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Hmmm, bass drum sounds like a good idea.. You're both right though, maybe I should just go buy a music stand

The songs themselves aren't too complicated, it's more the arrangements.. And there are like 60 of them, and my memory is bad enough trying to remember to buy milk!

User Info Menu

I can't vouch for this but it looks like it could work? I sing back up vocals and the mic stand would be in the way if I had to use a conventional music stand.

Last edited by late8; 11-13-2014 at 02:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Sometimes I pick a tom that I wont use for that particular tune and lay it on there (with a piece of tape).....most times I just lay it on the floor...depending on lighting.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Hmmm, so it seems the general consensus is that I should just go and buy a music stand. Seems like the most reasonable option.. Or perhaps a spare tom like Eddie mentioned... Or maybe I could employ someone as a music holder I'm more likely to be that person!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Chazbo View Post
    Hmmm, so it seems the general consensus is that I should just go and buy a music stand. Seems like the most reasonable option.. Or perhaps a spare tom like Eddie mentioned... Or maybe I could employ someone as a music holder I'm more likely to be that person!!

Or...

You could get your cheat sheets onto an Ipad/Tablet and get a mount that connect to your cymbal stand.

"The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Sometimes I use a clothes pin or a really big paper clip to hold the paper to a stand. You can also borrow a capo from the guitar player, it's kind of like a paper clip.

User Info Menu

Tablet:

1964 Ludwig Downbeat Black Diamond Pearl (12,13,14,16,20)
    ALL of its Original Hardware

Ludwig Stainless Steel "Bop" (12,14,18)

Ludwig 1947 Standard Deluxe w/Art Gold hardware 3ply Maple 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM470 Auditorium 3ply Mahogany 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM908P Jazz Festival 3ply Mahogany 5.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1964 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1968 LM410 Super Sensitive 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1969 LM404 Acrolite 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1976 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1977 LM401 Lacquered Brass Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1978 LM405 NYC Bd of Ed Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1984 LB552 75th Anniversary Engraved Bronze 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1990s LM404 Black Galaxy Acrolite 10 Lug w/Silver Monroe Keystone 5 x 14
    Ludwig 2010 LB417BT Engraved Black Beauty 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2017 LB402B COB Supraphonic 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2020 LC662KTC Hammered Copperphonic w/all Copper Hardware 6.5 x 14
    DW Collectors 3mm Cast Bell Brass 5.5 x 14
    DW/Craviotto 2000 Steam Bent Solid Cherry 5.5 x 14

Zildjian As and A Customs

User Info Menu

I've clamped my notes to a pc. of 8"x10" cardboard, clamped that with those BIG paper clamps to a cowbell holder and clamped that to the HH stand with a left-over Tama clamp.
    Looks ugly but it works.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

If you only need to look at it before/after a song and not during, i'd say a stand behind you would work. Mounting it on the kit somewhere risks bumping into it during heavy playing.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Ask the other band members to kind of que you in when a stop or ending is coming. I am in a very similar boat this weekend although I only have about 35 songs but a good 10 of them are brand new to me and a few kind of sound alike so it's easy to be thinking about one part in a song but playing a completely diffrent song..LOL

I have a music stand but I have only used it on a gig once and did not like it or use it as much as I though I would.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I have a little notebook I carry to gigs.

User Info Menu

A mic boom stand with a mic clip and you can put it where you want. One page
    at a time anyway. Seen a drummer buddy do it and it worked like a champ.

User Info Menu

Nother idea...A cool clear but colored plexglass clipboard (Holes already in top) and you
    put it on cymbal stand. Bet you can get one for under 5 bucks on ebay to match your kit.
    Last edited by Ray on the Drums; 11-14-2014 at 09:54 AM.

User Info Menu

3 ring binder with clear plastic sleeves sitting on the ground to the left of the hi-hats might do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    3 ring binder with clear plastic sleeves sitting on the ground to the left of the hi-hats might do.
    I don't use a cheat sheet but the set list seems to always end up on the ground/stage floor:

User Info Menu

Hmmmm some great ideas guys, thank you for all the responses! I like the tablet idea, but don't have the time to go get a clamp... I think I'll go for the cardboard/clipboard idea and clamp it to one of my stands. That way I'm not looking at the floor for the entire gig!

Thank you so much everyone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by northern redneck View Post
    i have a little notebook i carry to gigs.
    +1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I don't use a cheat sheet but the set list seems to always end up on the ground/stage floor:

Off subject, but just noticed the rug under the drums in that pic.. I have the exact same one!

User Info Menu

All great ideas above. I use a TV tray. Sits to my left and holds my cheat sheet, drink, towel, mixer, etc. My band mates razz me every gig about bringing a TV tray to a bar gig, but hey it works for me. You can see it in the pic below.

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

TV tray looks OK. I had to try to find it, it's not that obvious.

User Info Menu

Yeah that TV tray is a pretty good idea... Keep essentials close by, somewhere easy to reach! In the end I used a spare floor tom I don't use and positioned it in the same place as that TV tray. Seemed to do the job!