Drum Domains

Thread: snare head

User Info Menu

Default snare head

Fooling around with snare heads. I have always used a Med Ludwig Coated snare head on my supraphonic and want to try other heads. I put on EC2 snare head. Liked it at first but got tired of it. I think Im gonna try a remo controlled sound black dot. My snare is deep so think that head might work.
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

Default Re: snare head

I used the Remo reverse black dot snare head and it sounded really good. I've not tried the regular black dot as a snare head but they sound great on the toms.

User Info Menu

I just put on an Aquarian coated on my Pork Pie 13 x 5 snare. I tuned it low, and it sounds amazing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    I just put on an Aquarian coated on my Pork Pie 13 x 5 snare. I tuned it low, and it sounds amazing.
    Did you have any luck with the 12" tom yet??

User Info Menu

One of the best snare drum sounds that I can remember was a clear Remo CS Black Dot batter (dot on top) paired with a clear Ambassador weight snare side on my old 1978 Ludwig LM411 6.5 x 14 Super Sensitive. That drum sounded big, phat, and powerful with that head combination and the dot prevented the head from getting dented with heavy use. We also used them on our high school marching band snare drums and they would really take a beating from the big 3A sticks.

A few things that I remember about that head. First, the dot seemed to feel a little funny when I played soft single and double strokes. Second, there was a layer of clear plastic film over the dot that seemed to want to peel off with use. Finally, the head seemed to feel and sound better over time.

If I would ever go back to using this head on my snare drum, I think that I would try the reverse dot as I would get that cool, phat controlled sound without the quirks. But then, I might just go with the dot on top ... and as long the head is tuned up nice and tight, it sounds fantastic and like a bottle of good wine, gets better with age ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 11-14-2014 at 07:00 AM.

User Info Menu

When I cleaned up my old Tama Swingstar chrome steel snare, I put a used coated Emp on the batter. Just for an experiment, I cut an 8" diameter circle out of some left over adhesive backed vinyl automotive wrap. I stuck it on the bottom side of the batter head (like a reverse dot). So far, it's still stuck there after 6months of hard use. Combined with the 2-ply coated head, it did make it feel a little "dead" in terms of stick rebound at lower tension, but it's more than acceptable with the head cranked medium tight. The sound, however, is pretty sweet...much better in my opinion than it was without the makeshift "dot".
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

One day I'll get a minute to go snare head shopping. It has been awhile.

User Info Menu

I always had a pretty satisfying result from using Texture coated/Response 2 type heads on snare(ambassador/emperor, g1/g2). Real natural and versatile heads.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Did you have any luck with the 12" tom yet??
    Hey Rich,

I've had a little luck. I'm using a different snare stand, and I'm just sort of opened the basket and just set the drum in it and didn't tighten it down too much. That's helped a little. I have a well-worn 12-inch Remo ambassador that I'm going to stick on it (maybe this weekend?) to see how it sounds. If it sounds ok, I might try to spring for a 12" and a matching 16" for the floor tom.

Thanks again for asking.

-Martin

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by not him View Post
    Fooling around with snare heads. I have always used a Med Ludwig Coated snare head on my supraphonic and want to try other heads. I put on EC2 snare head. Liked it at first but got tired of it. I think Im gonna try a remo controlled sound black dot. My snare is deep so think that head might work.
    The reverse dot coated heads sound great on snares, but I prefer the coated Ambassador X for any snare drum.

Just my $0.02...

Rich
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    Hey Rich,

I've had a little luck. I'm using a different snare stand, and I'm just sort of opened the basket and just set the drum in it and didn't tighten it down too much. That's helped a little. I have a well-worn 12-inch Remo ambassador that I'm going to stick on it (maybe this weekend?) to see how it sounds. If it sounds ok, I might try to spring for a 12" and a matching 16" for the floor tom.

Thanks again for asking.

-Martin
    Thanks for the response....looking forward to some good news soon.

User Info Menu

EC2 frosted and loving it. Decided to try it before remo as all my drums have Evans EC2 on them.I guess the reverse dot just choked it to much for my liking
    Last edited by not him; 11-15-2014 at 03:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Coated Black Dot (CS 0114) are great snare heads. Simon Phillips used to use them exclusively, not sure if he still does, but back around 1988 he got me turned on to them. But nowadays I prefer Aquarian coated heads.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

I love the Evans Super Dry head. Coated with all the little port holes along the edge.

User Info Menu

Must say these new 360 heads are so easy to tune. Also have always found it funny how just a head change can make you want to play again.
    Last edited by not him; 11-17-2014 at 09:00 AM.

User Info Menu

I use an Evans HD Dry on most of my snares and love the sound...............but I do prefer a more muffled snare sound than most

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I use an Evans HD Dry on most of my snares and love the sound...............but I do prefer a more muffled snare sound than most
    /\ /\ /\ What he said! I agree 100%.

User Info Menu

Tried Aquarian New Orleans on my Ludwig deep snare a little lose and it really does give that raspy lose sound you might want for a rendition of St. James Infirmary...

User Info Menu

On two of my snares (7"x13" sonor/maple & drum craft 6"x14" birch) I'm using power center reverse dots (evans 360) they sound great so far.

User Info Menu

I use an Evans G1 on my 14x5.5 Ddrum snare tuned medium tight. It has a very nice crack to it. I have also used Remo reverse black dot. I love those too.

User Info Menu

I use a remo ambassador x on the batter tuned very tight. Rimshots sound amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike