Thread: floor tom

User Info Menu

Default floor tom

During practice this morning i noticed a wrinkle on the head of my floor tom on the outer edge?

What do I need to do to fix this?

why did this happen ?
    could it have been a temp change?

Thanks

Allan

User Info Menu

oh man.... i remember that wrinkle i had in my floor tom.. okay, this is the reason why i had a wrinkle on the edge. the head itself was on a bit krookid.. so if it is. loosen all the lugs, reajust the head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    oh man.... i remember that wrinkle i had in my floor tom.. okay, this is the reason why i had a wrinkle on the edge. the head itself was on a bit krookid.. so if it is. loosen all the lugs, reajust the head.
    How do I know if the head is on Krrokid?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aunkster View Post
    During practice this morning i noticed a wrinkle on the head of my floor tom on the outer edge?

What do I need to do to fix this?

why did this happen ?
    could it have been a temp change?

Thanks

Allan
    The head could have become detuned do to climate change(rare but could happen), or the lugs could have loosened, or it was not tuned properly.

Loosen all the lugs, take the head off, check and make sure the bearing edge is good, make sure the head is not bent or damaged, if no problems, seat the head, tighten all the lugs finger tight, then tune as you like, making sure to use the cross motion, and only do 1/4 turns at a time to seat the head properly.
    this should fix your issue, if your lugs keep comin loose, there is a product out there, I see it in my drum magazines all the time that will aid in preventing this, I recommend purchasing it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aunkster View Post
    How do I know if the head is on Krrokid?
    It's pronounced 'crooked' for starters ;P
    Anyway, you may just have not properly tuned your floor tom up. If it is properly tuned, then there should be no crinkles. Crinkles mean that it's not properly tuned at that point. Just my thoughts.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Slightly off to the side of this topic, rim shots make my snare drum lugs work loose at the points I hit it. Like at the 4 - 5 o'clock and 7 - 8 o'clock positions. Also, after I put new heads on my toms and tune them they always sound lower the next day and day after that. So I tune them back up. Literally up. In addition to what they told you, use your fingertip and tap the head near the lugs about an inch out from the rim and get the pitch even all the way around. Don't use the key or a stick to tap the head because you don't want to accidentally hit the bearing edge with something hard.
    Just because it's old doesn't mean it's not just as good now as it was then.

User Info Menu

First and foremost, how does it sound? If it sounds "great" don't do anything!

User Info Menu

Toad, are you seating your new heads? That should minimize the lowering of the tone due to the stretching of the heads. Also, as you noted, I would never use a key on the drum head, but even though I think tapping the drumhead with your finger is fine, I wouldn't hesitate to use my sticks, because the rim would protect the bearing edges. I also like to be consistant, and I am always looking for the "right sound" as made by my sticks, so I use them through the whole process.

Of course, that's just my procedure, and others may certainly do it differently, with great results.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Toad, are you seating your new heads? That should minimize the lowering of the tone due to the stretching of the heads. Also, as you noted, I would never use a key on the drum head, but even though I think tapping the drumhead with your finger is fine, I wouldn't hesitate to use my sticks, because the rim would protect the bearing edges. I also like to be consistant, and I am always looking for the "right sound" as made by my sticks, so I use them through the whole process.

Of course, that's just my procedure, and others may certainly do it differently, with great results.
    I actually do the exact same thing PB. Always with the stick. But my torque key helps out a bit too...
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

You're right, I don't seat them hard enough. I do seat them but I think I don't go all the way. I get them tight and even and press my palm in the center, but I chicken out before I do it fully correctly, if that makes sense. Ok, will do, I'll do it tighter from now on.

On using the fingertip or whatever, with me, I get more control that way when I am tapping and listening very carefully. I use the stick too, tho. Yup when I give advice I fully realize you guys know more than I do and I always take note of your advice. Also when I give advice it's aimed at those [who seem to be] below me in experience, not those above me. Please do correct me whenever I'm wrong, and thanks. Like Dirty Harry said, a man's gotta know his limitations.
    Last edited by Toad; 10-14-2007 at 05:45 PM.
    Just because it's old doesn't mean it's not just as good now as it was then.