Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loading up and breaking down etiquette.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Loading up and breaking down etiquette.

That sux Spaz.

User Info Menu

Personally I hate it when other people touch my kit, back when I was originally learning to play the drums my mom found out that snare drums bounce, I wish she had never told me that. So I say nobody takes down my gear but me, I'm a little lenient with that with my hardware.

As for loading etiquette do you're gear first, then if they aren't finished help with the band gear. You're a drummer not a roadie don't let them push it all on you, but also remember your band mates are guitarists/bassists/pianists and not roadies and you shouldn't shove it all on them either.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

If your band has a lot of equipment which is used for everyone in the band, then I help. PA systems, mixing board, monitors, lights, large amps with stands, banners with band name, boxes of extension cords and wires, then I help. If the band members just bring their own instruments and someone brings a PA system, then no, I worry about my own equipment and see you at the gig. I only bring what I need, a 4 piece kit, 2 cymbals, hi hats, my own monitor,rug, throne, 2 snares, 2 pedals (just incase). I do not bring extra heads. I use batter heads on both side of my toms and bass. If I break a head during a gig, I just use take the bottom head off and use it on the top and get through the gig with out a bottom head. My setup has a small footprint, but I work the kit, meaning just because you don't have a lot of equipment, you can still get a full sound from the kit.
    Last edited by Jackie; 11-18-2014 at 07:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Well, as we are all quite aware, drummers have more gear than the rest. I'm usually the first one to arrive to a show. I set my stuff up and then join in to help with the rest of the set up.

Tear down is a different story. I start tearing down, and IF I'm done tearing down AND loading before the rest are done.........I then very slowly help them pack up (usually assisting with the most lightest and easy stuff that remains).

User Info Menu

I tend to take care of my equipment first, as there is quite a lot if it compared to say, the singer! Then when I have everything of mine sorted I'll offer a helping hand to any bandmates that need it.. Unless they've already gone home because I'm still packing up the tubs!
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

The other guys would sometimes "help" me set up and tear down, after load-in. Or before load-out. I never cared for that help. I like my things set up or packed up a certain way and having someone else helping just messes things up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I like my things set up or packed up a certain way and having someone else helping just messes things up.
    I'm the same way. I always welcome and appreciate offers to help loading in and out but I always unpack, setup, tear down, and pack up by myself.

A place for everything and everything in its place ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    The other guys would sometimes "help" me set up and tear down, after load-in. Or before load-out. I never cared for that help. I like my things set up or packed up a certain way and having someone else helping just messes things up.
    Oh, yeah, especially packing drums into a small car, like my Mazda3!
    After that I help load/unload everybody else.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

If I were gigging today with all the one nighters I'd probably just transport my gear and set it up and tear it down. Back when I was giging we played 4 to 5 nights a weekat the same venue. We had a 24 foot box truck. The entire band loaded in and out , all the gear stayed in the truck on off days.

User Info Menu

I always show up to a gig earlier than everyone else so I can start getting set up before they get there. Tripping over stage clutter while trying to set up drives me insane! Once I'm completely set, I will help get the PA up and running.

Afterwards, I tear down my kit and pack it in the car (got the Tetris thing down pat packing a 7 piece kit into a BMW 3 series, lol!), then I will help pack whatever is left of the PA. I'm not big on other people touching my drums, and I know they are the same way with their equipment, but the PA is used by the whole band, so it is only fair that I help with that.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads