Thread: New Snare Suggestions Needed

User Info Menu

Default New Snare Suggestions Needed

A while ago, I scored a brand new 5 pc. Pearl Forum Series drum kit on CL for $400. I am mostly very happy with my kit, except for my snare. This is the 2nd Pearl Forum Series kit I've had, and both snares seem to ring out on me, which I'm not a fan of at all. I have explored other painfully expensive options for snares, but could not commit to anything on a poor man's budget. I did however find a Pearl Vision snare in both birch and maple wood, one of which I entertained possibly purchasing. However, the reviews are mixed on the birch snare (some love it, some hate it,) and I don't think a maple snare would sound right with a cheapo poplar kit. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, cost-effective snare that has a crisp, clean snap to it? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by willdrum4food; 11-20-2014 at 07:34 AM.
    Just crank that volume to the point of pain...Why waste good music on a brain?! -Spinal Tap

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Snare Suggestions Needed

If you're looking to go metal, might I suggest a Ludwig Acrolite. They are plentiful and cheap on the used market and with the right head combination, can be easily tuned to have a dry sound.

User Info Menu

One, dont go by online reviews listen to the drum yourself.
    If you like the sound of the maple, go for it, you can always use it as the foundation of a pro kit.

User Info Menu

I really don't buy into the concept of a snare "matching" your kit. The snare drum is unique, and really no way relatable to a tom or bass drum. Any snare has the ability to work with your kit.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

I wouldn't worry about having a more expensive snare on a cheapo kit. Who cares? Chances are, it's the target your hitting the most besides your hi-hats or ride cymbal. If you hate your snare, buy a better one. You won't believe how much better it will make the rest of your kit seem to sound. Also, if you get a really decent snare with some good heads, don't be surprised if your playing improves.

Remember, it's more about the playing than it is the gear. Check out this video I just found:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by willdrum4food View Post
    A while ago, I scored a brand new 5 pc. Pearl Forum Series drum kit on CL for $400. I am mostly very happy with my kit, except for my snare. This is the 2nd Pearl Forum Series kit I've had, and both snares seem to ring out on me, which I'm not a fan of at all. I have explored other painfully expensive options for snares, but could not commit to anything on a poor man's budget. I did however find a Pearl Vision snare in both birch and maple wood, one of which I entertained possibly purchasing. However, the reviews are mixed on the birch snare (some love it, some hate it,) and I don't think a maple snare would sound right with a cheapo poplar kit. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, cost-effective snare that has a crisp, clean snap to it? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    I had a similar problem with the steel shelled snare I got with a Pearl Forum shell pack - the ringing was more than I could bear after about 10 minutes. I bought a used Worldmax 6.5 x 14 which came with an Evans Genera Dry head (which I didn't care for on the Worldmax). I put the Genera Dry on the Pearl snare - it transformed it. Removed the worst of the high pitched ring but didn't leave it dead and unresponsive - for a base model snare I like it, others are better but it isn't crap (IMO).

Have you tried a head with a 'sound control' ring, or perhaps something like the Evans Genera Dry to reduce the ringing - if you are still playing with the original head, or a single ply replacement I would try changing the head first before blowing the cash on an expensive aftermarket snare. Considering how expensive they are maybe its best to wait until you have had the opportunity to listen and play a few so you can make an informed decision based on your own preferences before making an expensive purchase.

User Info Menu

I don't think a maple snare would sound right with a cheapo poplar kit.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, cost-effective snare that has a crisp, clean snap to it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    I don't think a maple snare would sound right with a cheapo poplar kit.

I'm with signia fan and Northern Redneck on this one. The snare in my opinion, is the signature sound of the kit. Find one that "floats your boat" and build/upgrade your kit around that snare. The good 'ol saying, "You get what you pay for" applies here.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, cost-effective snare that has a crisp, clean snap to it?

Have you tried using different heads on the Forum snare yet? You mentioned to us that this is your second Forum kit and you disliked both stock snares but failed to mention if you tried to "tame" the ring" beyond tuning (i.e. RemO-rings, moon gel, control batter heads).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here are my suggestions:

Take a trip down to your local brick and mortar music store and spend some time listening to snares. If you find one on the showroom floor and you suspect the tuning may be off, lay your wallet down on the edge of the batter head so it provides some dampening. If you still like/dislike what you hear, look down at the price tag. If you like it and it's too expensive, take note on how the snare its set up and look around the showroom to see if you find a cheaper snare and play them side by side. Trust me, you'll appreciate the investment you'll be making. Remember the used market has so many great deals at almost 1/2 the cost.

Last edited by late8; 11-20-2014 at 09:51 AM.

User Info Menu

I have a Groove Percussion steel snare (14 x 5.5) that I use on my practice kit, and when I first got it (the guy threw it in with some other gear I was buying) I couldn't stand the ringing, so I put on some Remo heads (Black Suede Emperor, Hazy snare side), some Puresound 20-strand wires, and an Evans E-ring (because they're clear) I tuned it as low as I could, and I LOVE IT! It's still obnoxiously loud, but I like my snare to cut through the mix, and this little beater doesn't disappoint! Before you spend a ton of money on a new snare try putting some new heads on the one you have, and see how you like it

User Info Menu

Hello guys and gals. Sorry for my lack of detail on attempts to control the sound. I created this thread in a hurry and haven't returned until now. I have not attempted to control the sound of my snare yet. I have considered using control batter heads in the past, but have not made my way down to my favorite local music store lately (they moved, again.) I have heard of moon gel before, but never actually attempted to use it. I can tell you the first thing I did was threw the stock heads for my snare away right out of the box and slapped on a set of Remo Ambassador heads for both sides (coated on the batter and hazy on the reso.) I know realistically the best thing to do is go to the store and start beating on things until I find the sound I'm looking for, I just thought I'd ask around beforehand to see if anyone had a favorable opinion about any particular snare that had a good, dry sound to it. Thanks again for all your help, and keep the good advice coming. :D
    Just crank that volume to the point of pain...Why waste good music on a brain?! -Spinal Tap

User Info Menu

Hello guys and gals. Sorry for my lack of detail on attempts to control the sound. I created this thread in a hurry and haven't returned until now. I have not attempted to control the sound of my snare yet. I have considered using control batter heads in the past, but have not made my way down to my favorite local music store lately (they moved, again.) I have heard of moon gel before, but never actually attempted to use it. I can tell you the first thing I did was threw the stock heads for my snare away right out of the box and slapped on a set of Remo Ambassador heads for both sides (coated on the batter and hazy on the reso.) I know realistically the best thing to do is go to the store and start beating on things until I find the sound I'm looking for, I just thought I'd ask around beforehand to see if anyone had a favorable opinion about any particular snare that had a good, dry sound to it. Thanks again for all your help, and keep the good advice coming. :D
    If you don't have the opportunity to visit a music store there are a couple of things you can try in the short term -

Take a single sheet of TP and fold it into a 1" square, place it near the edge of your snare batter head stick it down with tape. Experiment by using more squares - the more pieces you apply the less ringy overtones remain. Experiment until you have a happy medium. This will do the same thing as moongel - but look like crap.

If you have an old original snare reso head cut the head away from the metal ring. Cut really close to the metal ring, then cut out the centre of the mylar to leave a 1" 'control ring. Remove your snare batter head and place this underneath. This ring will give you an idea of the effect of changing to a batter head with built in control ring.

Like you said you can go listen to snares with different batters fitted - but the snares must be of the same material, thickness and diameter as yours to give a realistic assessment

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    I have a Groove Percussion steel snare (14 x 5.5) that I use on my practice kit, and when I first got it (the guy threw it in with some other gear I was buying) I couldn't stand the ringing, so I put on some Remo heads (Black Suede Emperor, Hazy snare side), some Puresound 20-strand wires, and an Evans E-ring (because they're clear) I tuned it as low as I could, and I LOVE IT! It's still obnoxiously loud, but I like my snare to cut through the mix, and this little beater doesn't disappoint! Before you spend a ton of money on a new snare try putting some new heads on the one you have, and see how you like it
    I love this story.

User Info Menu

My little snare collection includes 5 different woods and sizes. After much experimentation, I use certain heads for certain drums and certain drums for certain musical styles and situations.
    Point is...probably not the drum unless it's out of round or the bearing edge isn't flat. Head choice and careful tuning are the key to your snare's sound.
    I happen to use MoonGels on only three out of five, btw. Let your ear decide.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

I just thought I'd ask around beforehand to see if anyone had a favorable opinion about any particular snare that had a good, dry sound to it. Thanks again for all your help, and keep the good advice coming.
    Evans has specific batter heads branded as "dry". Clips are available on their home page. My "go to" snare is the Ludwig BB which goes to show you that snares are subjective to ones taste. Some rather play all wood; some play a combination of both wood/steel or brass. You'll get a slew of opinions just like you would if you were to ask "which kit is your favorite?"

Last edited by late8; 11-24-2014 at 11:40 AM.