Thread: Kickport review and comparison

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

Default Kickport review and comparison

Here's a video I made of a kickdrum with and without a kickport. tryed a few settings, and then with an EQ after

Havn't been around for a bit so its time to get back into it

User Info Menu

Default Re: Kickport review and comparison

wow that port really makes the kick sound more focus and precise. I can't think of the wording I want to use but makes the kick more punching and defined... really makes it crisper. I've always wondered if they work and after this video I think I might love to try one now! Sharpen my super fast double bass chops.

Great video man!! Thank you for sharing

User Info Menu

Great comparison video scotty but could hardly make out what you were saying.

User Info Menu

I'll put a limiter on my voice next time. It sounded good when I was mixing it. .. not sure what happened lol

If I eq the side by side it makes even more distance. Or standing in the room. .

I'll be making. More videos for you guys soon

User Info Menu

No problem man. I mean I was really interested in the vid. The sound of the bass drum was great and all. I just could not understand the things that you were doing to make the different sounds. Looking forward to seeing more vids.

User Info Menu

I should be getting my Kickport FX ports that go in the front batter head of the kick, the snare and the toms. So I'll be posting and reviewing those right away.

It adds a bunch of volume to your snare while getting rid of some overtones... I like a fairly dry snare so this is perfect.

You can also put a mic over the port hole and you will pick up WAY more of the bottom head which is what always seems to be lacking when you play live and they use one mic on the snare.

I picked up a roland TM-2 this weekend too so I have a few new toys to show.. and a few others

User Info Menu

I love kickports. Have had them in all my kits for 5 yrs or so now and doubt I will be without them again.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

When I had a Remo PS3(which by the way I didn't like) on the batter of my 18X20 the Kickport worked great. I used it with the PS3 for a long time. It made the PS3 sound a lot better. When I changed the batter out with a Aquarian SK1(which I like) the drum just didn't sound like I thought it should. It actually sounded worse than the PS3. While messing with different tunings, and mufflings, I for some reason put the reso on without the Kickport, and it sounded good. I'm pretty sure I put the Kickport back on to check if that was reason for the difference in sound. I think it might make a difference what heads are on the drum. I've had it off for a yr. or so, and still like my kick.

User Info Menu

Sounds pretty good. I might pick one up sometime when I have some extra monies. I could hear everything you were saying but I'm wearing good headphones and I watched the video in HD.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Nice job on the video! Even on my IPhone, I could REALLY tell a difference on the last trial.

Sometimes I wonder how much of the "focus" is due to the physics of the Kickport design (as advertised), and how much is just due to the added weight of the device on the reso head. I've noticed big improvements just by spraying 3 coats of paint on an old crappy reso head.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of the kickport. Your video illustrates why. Nice work.

User Info Menu

You have a point. Any weight on the bassdrum skin will change the tone.. same with anything inside. It would be interesting to see what that tube would do without being attached. but at the end of the day. if it changes the sound in the way you want its worth it.

I can take this off. you cant take paint off lol. but you have an idea. I'm wondering what a kickdrum on a thinner head vs a coated head with no kickport what the differences would be etc.

being my lazy self. I like this so I'm going to use it. Plus if you have a kickport in a clear head they look really cool too

User Info Menu

Thanks for the video scotty. I got great results using KickPorts on regular reso heads. Recently, I had a full vinyl graphic made on a Aquarian Regulator reso that was ported. The backside of the Regulator head has a felt ring and it does a great job of dampening down but by adding the full vinyl decal, the reso became completely lifeless:

KickPort recommends using no dampening rings with their products and suggests a flush surface for the port to work as engineered but I decided against pulling off the felt ring on the backside of the reso head and I'm happy to report the KickPort helped "throw" the thump out beyond the stage as it always did.

Backside of normal reso head with KickPort attached:

KickPort on Aquarian Regulator head:

Last edited by late8; 11-24-2014 at 02:39 PM.

User Info Menu

THAT is a very nice looking head. I was wanting to get one custom made one of these days..

Did you get to pick the type of head that comes with it? I will plan ahead and leave a spot for a port though. Very creative with the kickport on it like that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scottyp View Post
    THAT is a very nice looking head. I was wanting to get one custom made one of these days..

Did you get to pick the type of head that comes with it? I will plan ahead and leave a spot for a port though. Very creative with the kickport on it like that
    Thanks scottyp. Yes, I was limited to three types of Aquarian heads by this particular vendor. Had I known about the felt ring, I would of opted for Aquarian head without the ring.
    Last edited by late8; 11-25-2014 at 11:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice job on the video, it was a good watch.

I'm going to say it however. I like it better without the kickport.

(I will admit I've never heard a comparison in person).

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

I Bought one and I guess I like it.

User Info Menu

OHHHHHHHHHHH look what came in the mail

picture upload

User Info Menu

OHHHHHHHHHHH look what came in the mail

picture upload
    sweet, let me know how those tom ports work out. Maybe a quick before and after video on a few toms?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

WOW!!! Just installed the snare port and was playing around
    The snare port sounds absolutely INSANE.
    Basically cuts out the ping. makes it a louder. adds some low end to it.. and lets you hear your snares way more.... especially if your at a venue with only the top mic.
    if you mic over the hole its almost like you have a second mic underneath that's way too loud.. so you have to position properly and you can adjust to how much of the snare sound you want

It also added a ton of sensitivity to the snare... the lightest hit got the sound of the snares going...

I'll post a vid soon....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray on the Drums View Post

I Bought one and I guess I like it.
    Wow!! Ray...love that kit and room..Holy Smokes!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Wow!! Ray...love that kit and room..Holy Smokes!!
    Thanks 8 I was thinkin' the same thing here!

User Info Menu

WOW!!! Just installed the snare port and was playing around
    The snare port sounds absolutely INSANE. I'll post a vid soon....
    Looking forward to that!

User Info Menu

Great comparison video. I personally liked the empty drum with just the tone ring and no KickPort the most.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Have Kickports on both my Yamaha Recording Custom's & my Pearl MLX. Really does make a difference. More so on the Yamaha though. Love them

Yamaha Recording Custom by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

Heavy Metal of Jazz? by Kevin Frost, on Flickr