Thread: Remo, Evans head to head

User Info Menu

Default Remo, Evans head to head

No matter how many times I watch this I still prefer Remo over Evans. More so the Ambassador over the G1. The 2-ply heads are pretty close and I would have no problem choosing whichever one was on sale but the 1-ply's I would much rather pay more for the Ambassador than have to settle for the G1. Just my opinion.

Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Remo, Evans head to head

To my ear, there is a huge difference between the Remo and Evans heads both in the 1 and 2 ply versions. The Evans, to me, sound warmer and fuller which is the sound I go for and its why I use coated G2's.

User Info Menu

I also could hear the difference and for sure the Evans were my pick. A little richer and the G1 wasn't as high and tight sounding in the comparison. The 2ply was a closer sound but I still choose the G2.

Three of my kits have G2s on them

User Info Menu

hmmmmm guess it's the sound you want. I notice much more attack on the amb. than the G1's but come to think of it sometimes I do use a lil moongel on my amb. toms.

I think I go through phases. Sometimes I much prefer the open sounding singing toms and then a few weeks later I decide I want a more controlled sound and put a piece of moongel on them, and take it off a month or so later. It is always a fine line for me though between controlled less ringy toms and dead muddled tom.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Definitely Evans for me. Warmer sound to my ears.

User Info Menu

For me it is more how the stick reacts on the head. That is why I use Remo.

User Info Menu

I switches from Remo to Evans years ago. Remo sound to boingy for me. Especially the Ambs/ambs they came standard on my kit and changed to G2's/G1's pretty darn fast. best combination that I ever played.

User Info Menu

I like the boingy sound.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I didn't realize there was that much of a noticeable difference. I agree, the Evans sound warmer. Still......I think I prefer the sound of the Emp over the G2. It does have a touch more "boing" to it, but I think that gives it a fuller and more vintage sound when playing rolls and such. The G2 sounds more modern and controlled. Not sure how much difference it would make on an un-mic'd kit from the audience. The Emp would probably carry better in a live setting ???
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I will happily use either but prefer the Evans EC2/G2/G1 combo due to its warm and controlled sound. I have also grown fond of the Genera HD snare batter, especially on my metal snares, but I will take a coated Ambassador any day. As for snare side heads, I find little difference between the two and actually prefer the Remos ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 11-25-2014 at 06:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Remo for me! I've used the g2, g1, ambassador x and emperor x coated on my snare. The evans heads fit on the drum very nicely and were easy to tune. I found the ambassador x holds it's tune at a lower and tighter tension. I love the open sound of the ambassador x. I use clear emperors on my toms. Best sounding tom heads I've ever heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Started with Remo switched to Evans briefly. Back to Remo and never looked back. In my opinion, I hear the head with Evans and I hear the shell with Remo. I like my heads open if no drum mics are available and dampened with moongel if close mic'd.

User Info Menu

the guy tuned the Remos higher than the Evans in both tests

wonder if it was intentional

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I hear the head with Evans and I hear the shell with Remo. I like my heads open if no drum mics are available and dampened with moongel if close mic'd.
    Thats a great way to put it, I agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by davezedlee View Post
    the guy tuned the Remos higher than the Evans in both tests

wonder if it was intentional
    why do you say that? Intro says same shell same drum same tuning etc?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Evans heads. Dryer sounding in which i like better. HD on three of my snare, Onyx on one snare. G2 clear, and coated on my toms on both sets. Emads on the bass drums.