Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Joined the Pork Pie family...

User Info Menu

Default I Joined the Pork Pie family...

...pulled the trigger on a Pork Pie Squealer kit with a 24" kick with a matching snare for $918 shipped. I love shell packs that include a matching snare; it's like getting an added bonus.

I've been missing the birch sound for over a year since I had to sell my Pearl Session SBX (all birch) kit. I've also missed the Red Lava Lacquer finish on the Pearl Custom Export ECX (all maple) kit that I sold at the same time. I've also been thinking about moving up to a bigger kick too. Finally found what I was looking for, all in one beautiful kit, the Pork Pie Squealer.

When jay-red posted his new Pork Pie Squealer kit (http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...pie-32584.html) I started looking into them after reading all of the positive comments about Pork Pie kits and Bill Detamore . With the Thanksgiving savings going at some retailers now, couldn't pass up this deal:

Sizes are: 10"x13" rack tom, 16"x16" floor tom, 18"x24" bass drum and 7"x14" snare
    (mounting clamp for 13" tom included)
    Birch Mahogany 8 ply shells
    Black Cherry High Gloss Lacquer
    2.3 mm hoops
    Pork Pie hourglass lugs
    Chrome Hardware
    Remo Heads (Taiwan)
    Last edited by late8; 11-25-2014 at 11:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I Joined the Pork Pie family...

What that kit is beautiful! Love the finish! I currently have birch shells and love the sound. Congrats on the purchase!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

That looks like a beautiful drum kit. When do you think it will arrive?

User Info Menu

Congrats ... nice looking kit ...

User Info Menu

You are going to love those drums! I visited the Pork Pie shop earlier this year and they are very cool professionals who take a lot of pride in their drums. That is a really nice finish that will look ten times sweeter in person.
    Pics and a review after they arrive, please.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Late, I think that you and Bish might need to go to a meeting.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

WHOA! Yeah, Rich! Awesome looking kit. I love Pork Pie stuff.

User Info Menu

Nice drums. I'm excited for you. New drum stuff is the best.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    What that kit is beautiful! Love the finish! I currently have birch shells and love the sound. Congrats on the purchase!
    Thanks FlyByNight. I knew I made a mistake by selling the SBX kit. The guys I jam with have mentioned more than once that they miss hearing the birch kit in the studio. The UT Remo heads that are made in Taiwan are nothing to write home about. The Factory videos of this kit kind of prove to me that with better heads, the potential of this kit can be unlocked even further in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    That looks like a beautiful drum kit. When do you think it will arrive?
    Standard ground 4-7 days via UPS 8beat and I'm worried about the handling the kit will have to endure. I'm going to assume the it will come in one box. I've purchased all of my kits at brick and mortar stores locally and the last one came in 4 separate boxes. I've had boxes that were damaged during shipping and it was a hassle to return the damaged goods. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it comes unscathed.

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    Congrats ... nice looking kit ...
    Thanks danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    You are going to love those drums! I visited the Pork Pie shop earlier this year and they are very cool professionals who take a lot of pride in their drums. That is a really nice finish that will look ten times sweeter in person.
    Pics and a review after they arrive, please.
    Thanks Johnny G. I remember the thread. I had a chance to chat with the owner last year on the phone. He returned my call quite to my surprise. I asked how the company became to be called Pork Pie. Very friendly guy...told myself I would buy drums from him one day. Pics and a review for sure!!
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Late, I think that you and Bish might need to go to a meeting.
    weezy, 12 step program for GAS ridden middle aged drummers lol....anybody out there want to step forward and join??
    Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    WHOA! Yeah, Rich! Awesome looking kit. I love Pork Pie stuff.
    Marko, I was dragging the Gretsch kits out too much for the weekend gigs. The kits were getting scuffed, scratched and dinged up even in cases. I had one guy offer a $100 tip to sit in with the band for the last three songs of the night last weekend. I just happened to have the Gretsch USA kit that night and had second thoughts until I saw how little we had in the tip jar

Quote Originally Posted by EyePea View Post
    Nice drums. I'm excited for you. New drum stuff is the best.
    Thanks EyePea! I had a budget and needed to keep the kit under $1000....just made it under that goal. This will be a good all-around kit where I can let other drummers sit in at jams and I can leave the Gretsch kits at home.

User Info Menu

cant wait to see real pics! I was not aware of the red version of the little squealer kit, it looks awesome!

User Info Menu

Yes,please post pics when you get it!

User Info Menu

congrats, I been getting gas bad as well.. fighting it off so far.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    12 step program for GAS ridden middle aged drummers lol....anybody out there want to step forward and join??
    I think I may need to join you guys

Congrats, that is a beautiful kit...............reminds me of a "lipstick red" color....................love it

User Info Menu

oh man I am so jealous! I'm a huge PorkPie fan and yet only own snare drums... never the privilege of owning an actual kit. I've playing on one before and ever since I've wanted one. Some day I'll put the trigger also.

Gorgeous kit man! Great pick up!

User Info Menu

Simply beautiful. Enjoy. You'll like the 24" kick.

User Info Menu

Wow. $100 tip to sit in for 3 songs? That more than I make for an entire gig.
    Congrats on the new PP kit! Awesome choice. You're gonna love those things. Can't wait to hear about your first gig with them.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jay-red View Post
    cant wait to see real pics! I was not aware of the red version of the little squealer kit, it looks awesome!
    jay-red, I told my wife it's all your fault. Dude, you scored big time! The higher end kit like yours cost some major dollars. I've been hitting CL everyday for the last three months. Do you live in Sac? I saw a Premier kit in white go up and I answered the ad. That wasn't you was it? lol!! cause it was gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Yes,please post pics when you get it!
    You got it!! Just got my one tracking number so I know it's shipped out in one box....hope to get lucky and it doesn't fall off the back end of the pallet. I've seen horrific pictures of damaged kits here on DC from careless handling.

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    congrats, I been getting gas bad as well.. fighting it off so far.
    MDK..your New Saturns rock!! Had my eye on the Saturn IV MH 5pc and the Saturn IV 3pc. kit. Both over my budget but nailed a better deal at the end of the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I think I may need to join you guys

Congrats, that is a beautiful kit...............reminds me of a "lipstick red" color....................love it
    Thanks Butch. I can't wait to pull the shells out of the box. I feel a little selfish getting this so close to Christmas but the savings during this time of the year is just too good to pass up. The Gretsch sizes are all "fusion" (what ever the heck that means) and the 10" 12" is good for some genre of music but deep down inside, love the hard rock/heavy metal stuff which seemed like a great excuse to buy at the time but had to convince the Mrs. otherwise. This I told her, was a move to preserve the Gretsch kits for my boy someday....being serious here...
    Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    oh man I am so jealous! I'm a huge PorkPie fan and yet only own snare drums... never the privilege of owning an actual kit. I've playing on one before and ever since I've wanted one. Some day I'll put the trigger also.

Gorgeous kit man! Great pick up!
    Thanks Spaz...I thought about you when I hit the "submit order" button I know you are a big fan of their snares and you're a huge gear head like me. That PDP kit you just picked up is to "die for"...wish I could run across a deal such as that but I see your luck continues...nice snares you picked up!!
    Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Simply beautiful. Enjoy. You'll like the 24" kick.
    Thanks inthpktplayer!! I need to go and get new heads..got any recommendations for the 24"?? Thanks in advance....
    Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Wow. $100 tip to sit in for 3 songs? That more than I make for an entire gig.
    Congrats on the new PP kit! Awesome choice. You're gonna love those things. Can't wait to hear about your first gig with them.
    Brian, I had to think really hard if I wanted some stranger, who I had no clue if he could play, bang on the USA Customs. Lucky for me, he did pretty good job in staying center.....had my eye on him and would of easily stepped in and handed the hundred dollar bill back if it would of gotten out of hand. Looking back on this...the guy brought his own pair of stick too....hmmmm something seems fishy now that I look back on this. Maybe he did this before? I've been hunting for a used mid-line kit for open jams but found too many that were over-priced or at least a fourth of the cost of a new one. Promised the wife my share of the gig money for the up and coming year to pay it back...she rolled hear eyes at me exactly like this...
    Last edited by late8; 11-26-2014 at 10:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    [/B]Thanks inthpktplayer!! I need to go and get new heads..got any recommendations for the 24"?? Thanks in advance....
    I like the EMAD Heavyweight

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I like the EMAD Heavyweight
    Thanks...for the fast reply..looking now!!

Last edited by late8; 11-26-2014 at 10:24 AM.

User Info Menu

late8's new Pork Pie kit being delivered?????

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    late8's new Pork Pie kit being delivered?????

Oh man!!!! I just spit up my coffee!!!! Bahahahaha!!

User Info Menu

Welcome to the PP club! Can't wait to read a review after you get them and have played them.

User Info Menu

That totally was my White Premier Kit on CL, I got quite a few hits, and was doing my best to handle them in the order of contact, but some were quicker to reply than others, and I was trying to get the kit sold so I could swing the Pork Pie kit, I literally had a guy come over to buy my kit, as soon as he left I was on my way to get the Pork Pie.

Maybe its a good thing that you didnt get my kit, as you would not be eagerly awaiting the arrival of this sweet kit!
    Last edited by jay-red; 11-26-2014 at 12:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Oh man Rich, how could you?!

Just kidding brother. Looks great man. I can hardly wait to see it all set up! BTW - I am now referring to you as Bish Jr. from now on.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    Welcome to the PP club! Can't wait to read a review after you get them and have played them.
    Martin you're also a big reason why I went this route. Your Pork Pie kit is one of my favorite kits on DC!! See what you started????
    Quote Originally Posted by jay-red View Post
    That totally was my White Premier Kit on CL, I got quite a few hits, and was doing my best to handle them in the order of contact, but some were quicker to reply than others, and I was trying to get the kit sold so I could swing the Pork Pie kit, I literally had a guy come over to buy my kit, as soon as he left I was on my way to get the Pork Pie.

Maybe its a good thing that you didnt get my kit, as you would not be eagerly awaiting the arrival of this sweet kit!
    jay-red what a small world huh?? I had a feeling it was you....I saw that kit you snagged for $500 up on CL but didn't give it a second thought until you made your thread. Funny how it all worked out huh??? Congrats again!! Let's get together and have a Pork Fest!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Oh man Rich, how could you?!

Just kidding brother. Looks great man. I can hardly wait to see it all set up! BTW - I am now referring to you as Bish Jr. from now on.
    hahahaha! Pretty funny Mark!! Bish Jr. eh?? Like the world needs another drummer with the name "Mark" ???