Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rim mounts

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rim mounts

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    Optimounts look good to me once set up, they are bulky but this isn't particularly noticeable once set up - and they hold the tom top and bottom which I like. The only Pearl mounts I have a problem with is the RIMS mounts. Not for cosmetic reasons - Clamping them to a small area of the top hoop, dangling the entire weight of the tom from the same small area has got to be bad news for tuning and hoop longevity.
    RIMS mounts are the reason I have ruled out buying a Vision kit. For an intermediate kit they are as good as any others out there IMO - except for those tom mounts - I would prefer the mounting arms to attach directly to the tom. The toms may lose some resonance but I would be more confident of them staying in tune and the hoops not twisting. They are probably ok if you like your toms steeply angled, but if you prefer lower and flatter I bet the hoops dont last long.
    MCX man did a good job of turning his tom to the side to help hide them from view. I see a lot of guys with Pearl drums, and they have the mounts, arms, and in some cases an Icon rack(which I can't stand) sticking right out front, in front of the shells. In many cases you can't even see the beautiful Pearl finish, that they probably bought the drums for in the first place.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks4drums View Post
    MCX man did a good job of turning his tom to the side to help hide them from view. I see a lot of guys with Pearl drums, and they have the mounts, arms, and in some cases an Icon rack(which I can't stand) sticking right out front, in front of the shells. In many cases you can't even see the beautiful Pearl finish, that they probably bought the drums for in the first place.
    Maybe - but if you mount off stands that is how they look. With a rack you generally see a lot of rack and not much tom - if you use a rack how your toms look probably isn't too important. I agree that optimounts don't look as good on smaller toms (8" and 10") but with larger sizes it would not be a problem.

User Info Menu

The toms may lose some resonance but I would be more confident of them staying in tune and the hoops not twisting. They are probably ok if you like your toms steeply angled, but if you prefer lower and flatter I bet the hoops dont last long.
    I position my toms lower and flatter and I have never experienced these issues you speak of with RIMS style mounts in the 10 years or so that I have used them. I even used a RIMS style mount on a 15" floor tom without issue for about 5 years or so until converting it to legs a couple of years back.

The hoops on my toms are as good today as the day that I bought them; no warpage what-so-ever and (for me at least) the toms remain in tune for an entire gig.

User Info Menu

Maybe - but if you mount off stands that is how they look. With a rack you generally see a lot of rack and not much tom - if you use a rack how your toms look probably isn't too important.
    Bite your tongue!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    I position my toms lower and flatter and I have never experienced these issues you speak of with RIMS style mounts in the 10 years or so that I have used them. I even used a RIMS style mount on a 15" floor tom without issue for about 5 years or so until converting it to legs a couple of years back.

The hoops on my toms are as good today as the day that I bought them; no warpage what-so-ever and (for me at least) the toms remain in tune for an entire gig.
    He means the nasty Pearl ones that clip on the top hoop of the drum.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Rim mounts

Bite your tongue!

Tongue bitten!

User Info Menu

He means the nasty Pearl ones that clip on the top hoop of the drum.
    Oh ...

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Rim mounts

Thanks sticks. I have always mounted my toms that way so you can see the badges clearly and optimounts over to the sides. This way it does expose the finish of the drums. I could not see myself setting up any differently than that.

User Info Menu

Since I found a 14" tom for this set (12",13",14" up toms and 14" and 16" floors) I like it a lot better than I did, but the mounts suck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post

Since I found a 14" tom for this set (12",13",14" up toms and 14" and 16" floors) I like it a lot better than I did, but the mounts suck.
    Change them to optimount Rick you will see a hell of a difference but then you really don't want to spend any extra money on these Pearls cause you are trying to sell them. Just a suggestion cause I know you are use to Ludwig mounts.

User Info Menu

Optimounts look good to me once set up, they are bulky but this isn't particularly noticeable once set up - and they hold the tom top and bottom which I like. The only Pearl mounts I have a problem with is the RIMS mounts. Not for cosmetic reasons - Clamping them to a small area of the top hoop, dangling the entire weight of the tom from the same small area has got to be bad news for tuning and hoop longevity.
    RIMS mounts are the reason I have ruled out buying a Vision kit. For an intermediate kit they are as good as any others out there IMO - except for those tom mounts - I would prefer the mounting arms to attach directly to the tom. The toms may lose some resonance but I would be more confident of them staying in tune and the hoops not twisting. They are probably ok if you like your toms steeply angled, but if you prefer lower and flatter I bet the hoops dont last long.
    I think you might be confusing RIMS mounts by Gauger with the old style Pearl ISS mounts. Two completely different animals in design, function and appearance. Or at the very least, confusing a RIMS style knockoff which is still very different.
    Last edited by xsabers; 11-29-2014 at 05:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    I think you might be confusing RIMS mounts by Gauger with the old style Pearl ISS mounts. Two completely different animals in design, function and appearance. Or at the very least, confusing a RIMS style knockoff which is still very different.
    You are right. I forgot the nasty Pearl mounts are called ISS and not RIMS. My bad, sorry if I caused any confusion.

User Info Menu

are DW's STM mounts considered rim mounts. if so it doesn't get in my way. and add to the look. and i just love watching dw toms with stem mounts move it looks so cool.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HolyChina View Post
    are DW's STM mounts considered rim mounts. if so it doesn't get in my way. and add to the look. and i just love watching dw toms with stem mounts move it looks so cool.
    I wouldn't consider them rim mounts. Dw has the best tom mounts imo.
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

RIMS is a brand name. There are many knock offs made by brands such as Gibraltar, Gretsch, Ludwig, and others. The copies all work to a degree, but fall short of the original.

User Info Menu

From what I see the dw tom mounts are at the base of the round lugs right? Looks like two lugs on each side for extra support. Right and left.backed with rubber washers ?
    Last edited by drummerMD; 11-30-2014 at 02:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    From what I see the dw tom mounts are at the base of the round lugs right? Looks like two lugs on each side for extra support. Right and left.backed with rubber washers ?
    Yes. From what I understand the rubber washers act as shock absorbers.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    RIMS is a brand name. There are many knock offs made by brands such as Gibraltar, Gretsch, Ludwig, and others. The copies all work to a degree, but fall short of the original.
    ^^Truth

I recently upgraded a Gibraltar chrome plated steel RIMS knock off mount to a Gauger Alloy RIMS Mount on my 12" rack tom and it is a world of difference in fit, weight, and appearance. Costs a bit more but well worth the added expense IMO ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 11-30-2014 at 09:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    ^^Truth

I recently upgraded a Gibraltar chrome plated steel RIMS knock off mount to a Gauger Alloy RIMS Mount on my 12" rack tom and it is a world of difference in fit, weight, and appearance. Costs a bit more but well worth the added expense IMO ...
    How's the weight of the mount?

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    How's the weight of the mount?
    Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    Nice!!! sounds like a much better way to go...1/3 the weight of steel RIMS!
    ^^This ... barely noticeable without mounting hardware attached IMO ...

User Info Menu

As you can see in my situation I had no choice but to use optimounts on this kit. The chrome wrap on my maple shells is metal. My shells are super heavy and I got stress cracks on my stock mounts. The optimounts are the 'go to' mounts for stability.

User Info Menu

Those optimounts look gorgeous on those Slingerland. Fits them well.

User Info Menu

Thanks,they were the perfect choice for this set.

User Info Menu

If you have to go opti, I would opt for the aluminum/chrome ones. Would blend much better. Cool kit by the way!

User Info Menu

Wow, that's beautiful

-Mike