Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rim mounts

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rim mounts

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    savings in production cheaper to make a plastic adapter than making different size mounts with different angles. . . .Hey! what do I know ?
    haha. On my ludwigs, the inside of the mount says 12"-13". I'm guessing it's the exact same mount, just bent in for the 12".
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I'm really liking the Mapex SONIClear mounts. I like the fact that they don't have any contact with the lugs, and they are small but very stable. My Ludwig mounts were big, heavy, and you had to remove them to change batter heads.
    Mapex Drums / Ludwig Hardware / Sabian Cymbals / Tama Pedals & Hardware / Remo and Aquarian
    Heads /
    Vic Firth Sticks

User Info Menu

I really like my DW TOMS mounts. I like the idea that there are no additional holes, and they hold onto the existing round lugs with big rubber grommets. Appears to have limited or no choking on the toms. I like 'em!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    I really like my DW TOMS mounts. I like the idea that there are no additional holes, and they hold onto the existing round lugs with big rubber grommets. Appears to have limited or no choking on the toms. I like 'em!
    That same system is on some of the PDP higher end kits too. It works very well in my opinion. Kits I've played on with this system definitely have plenty of resonance, and the mounts are very stable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    I have the same on my PDP Concept Maples:

Works well although I find I have to push on the mount to be able to line up the tension rods to the lugs when changing batter heads. That said, if you are wanting to change how you mount rack toms (i.e. off a cymbal stand as opposed to a bass drum mount) it is very easy to move the mount on the tom to enable to badge to always be facing the 'right' way if that kind of thing is important to you.

My preferred options of late would be either the Gretsch - very small and subtle:

Or the Mapex SONIClear:

PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    I have the same on my PDP Concept Maples:

Works well although I find I have to push on the mount to be able to line up the tension rods to the lugs when changing batter heads. That said, if you are wanting to change how you mount rack toms (i.e. off a cymbal stand as opposed to a bass drum mount) it is very easy to move the mount on the tom to enable to badge to always be facing the 'right' way if that kind of thing is important to you.

My preferred options of late would be either the Gretsch - very small and subtle:

Or the Mapex SONIClear:

The sonic clear is great except for that little rest they have to put on the shell. That means the mount always has to be put on the drum in that same location. I love the fact that I can move my Saturn 3 mounts anywhere I want to on the drum.

User Info Menu

this may be a little off topic of the thread, but does anyone know if any company supplies a suspension mount for 6" toms? thx!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phattie j View Post
    this may be a little off topic of the thread, but does anyone know if any company supplies a suspension mount for 6" toms? thx!!!
    Gauger percussion offers a 6" version. But I'm pretty sure they only offer it in a 4 lug.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Well aren't all 6" drums 4-lug? At least every one I've come across has been. Although I'm not sure how much resonance you'd really gain from suspending a 6" tom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    Well aren't all 6" drums 4-lug? At least every one I've come across has been. Although I'm not sure how much resonance you'd really gain from suspending a 6" tom.
    I have no idea about the lugs. I've never played one let alone seen one. If you were to suspend it, I'm pretty sure it would just be to blend in with the other toms.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I have no idea about the lugs. I've never played one let alone seen one. If you were to suspend it, I'm pretty sure it would just be to blend in with the other toms.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I have a 6" LP micro snare and it has 4 lugs and the various 6" mini timbales all have 4 lugs. When I was in high school there were sets of marching tenor drums and concert toms, and all of the 6" drums also had 4 lugs. I think 8" is where it starts to change.

User Info Menu

I just bought a Gibraltar rim suspension mount for my 8" 4-lug tom. The way I see it, small toms are notorious for having a lack of resonance. Anything I can do to help increase the resonance even a little will help. A rim suspension mount on a 6", 8" or 10" tom makes more sense to me than on a 16" FT.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I just bought a Gibraltar rim suspension mount for my 8" 4-lug tom. The way I see it, small toms are notorious for having a lack of resonance. Anything I can do to help increase the resonance even a little will help. A rim suspension mount on a 6", 8" or 10" tom makes more sense to me than on a 16" FT.

I hear where you're coming from. I like my floor toms sounding like thunder so I use the isolation feet, and I've been thinking of flipping it over and using the leg mount to mount it to a cymbal stand. All depends on the sound you're looking for.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I've actually had an 8" tom that had tons of resonance before as well as several 10" ones. But yeah I would agree with you that it would make more sense on these sizes normally because of the lack of sustain. But the problem with 6" drums specifically is that as far as I have heard anyway, they're always cranked very high, so there's barely any resonance no matter how they're mounted just because of the high tension. I wonder if a suspension mount would really change a drum that is naturally very dry sounding?

User Info Menu

Smaller the drum...less sound. Faster dissipation of energy. (physics) That's why a bongo drum sounds so clipped. I always thought with those small toms that that was the character. On those long rolls it begins with the tight clipped sound all the way down to the open booming sound.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I'm purely speculating, but I would think that the typical L-rod or tube type bracket mount bolted directly to the shell would have a more deadening effect on a smaller shell. On a larger (deeper) shell, the bracket mounting points are smaller relative to the wavelength travelling down the shell. The bolts can be positioned at the nodal points on the shell to have the least effect....like Yamaha uses on their YESS system. That's pretty hard to do when your bracket is almost as big as the shell is deep. Plus, the shell mass is much less, relative to the mounting bracket, lugs, etc.. With everyone going to smaller or single point, low mass lugs and minimizing shell contact, it kinda makes sense that smaller shells would be more susceptible to such effects.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham