Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you gig with

User Info Menu

Default What do you gig with

curious what type of kits you gigging drummers play with live, cheap kits, med of the line or high en kits?

User Info Menu

Default Re: What do you gig with

When I started, there were cheap drums, US Mercury, Kents, but as soon as you got to the "name brands, they were all high end kits. So I always played on the "good stuff", ergo, "high end"

User Info Menu

I've got hi-end Yamahas and an 80's mid line Yamahas. I take the hi-end kit out. I don't give it any special treatment. I bought them to use and enjoy. That don't mean I don't take care of them though. My 80's kit has seen a lot of gigs, and they are still in pretty good shape.

User Info Menu

i use my Pearl Reference kit, before that DW, Pearl Masters etc, what ever is my kit at the time, i use the beat up kit if i have to share but i've only had to do that twice.

cheers
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

depends on the venue, if im getting paid and if i have to supply backline

User Info Menu

After not playing for about 15 years, in 2005, I purchased a new Tama Stagestar, 5-piece set. At that time, is was the bottom of the line, and a mini-kit. I also purchased soft cases for it. The smaller size makes them easy to carry.

Tuned up, they sound pretty good. I still use them for gigging today, even though I have a set of Mapex Meridian Birch.

John

User Info Menu

Depends on the gig. For low volume restaurant and private party gigs I might use a little Yamaha dd-65 electronic kit because it has a volume control and audiences are fascinated by it. Plus it has a lot of sounds.
    Last edited by 8beat; 11-28-2014 at 07:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Starting out it was my Swingstars which weren't too bad actually. Went under the mic twice with those. Today I have high end kicks and snares and mid line toms and that's what I use when we go out. My kits have always been this way. The only shell pack I ever bought myself were those Swingstars. I just like finding strays and putting them together.

One thing I never went cheap on though are cymbals. Even in the early days I either saved up for or bought good used ones.
    Last edited by slinky; 11-29-2014 at 10:09 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    depends on the venue, if im getting paid and if i have to supply backline
    +1

User Info Menu

I don't own any "high end" drums, but I do own several cheap kits. I prefer to use my 4pc Maxwins for gigs. They sound & look good, plus they're quick & easy to set up. Since they are entry level, I don't like to let others use them for fear of damage. If I know others will be sharing my kit, I use my Pearl Exports and set it up as a 5pc.. If there is plenty of room or in a large place, Ill use my 6pc Premier XPK. It has the best visual impact and volume.
    The old Exports are a fabulous gig kit. They sound good, look nice, tough as nails and are cheap and plentiful. I don't have to worry much about damage or value.

If I owned a nice, high end kit, I would certainly gig with it.....just as long as the environment is acceptable and no one else would be using it.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I have '2' gigging kits - - - My sit-down gigging kit is a High End Yamaha Oak Custom 6 piece with the Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14 x 6.5 snare.

My road work gigging kit is the Yamaha DTX-500K (replacing the Module with the DTX-502 module) which is Yamaha's Low End E-Kit.

So I go from High End to Low End on my kits - the practice kits at home are intermediate level - a 4 piece and a 5 piece Yamaha Power V Special (Originally an 8 piece kit which had 2-- 22" kick drums - 4 concert depth rack toms with an 18 floor tom and was made in England - when Yamaha owned Premier Drums)
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I don't gig - only jam with a few friends occasionally and used my old Sonor Jungle kit - really easy to transport and set up.

If I were playing out I would probably use my Pearl Forum kit - same poplar shells as old Pearl Export, wrapped and of little value - easy and cheap to replace if necessary. Sound OK though now I've finally figured out how to tune them.
    Last edited by crispycritters; 11-28-2014 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Misprint

User Info Menu

I've got 5 kits that I use. It just depends on my mood for that period of time. Currently gigging with my Pearl Session Selects, but before that I was using some Champagne Sparkle Pearl Exports (Birch) or my Yamaha Power Stage kit. I also have a YAMAHA 5000 series that I use from time to time.

I use the roto-tom kit too...but I use the Session series kick with that and a rack.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I have 2 gigging kits and I like them both so I alternate them, depending on my mood,etc..
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I bought my PDP X7 Kit just for gigging with the new band. So far loving it. It's super lightweight yet sounds great.

User Info Menu

High end all the way.

User Info Menu

Mapex Saturn for cover band gigs. Mapex Meridian for everything else.

User Info Menu

Gretsch USA and Zildjian...........see below.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I have 2 Pearl ELX kits that I gig with, a 4 piece and a 7 piece, each for different bands. Sometimes if I'm feeling a little nostalgic, I'll bust out my 72' Pearls...
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Gretsch USA and Zildjian...........see below.
    thats F'n sweet!!!!

User Info Menu

Higher end stuff only. Is there the risk of it getting scuffed up? Yeah. I minimize that by not letting anyone other than me load/unload/set up/breakdown. If it gets messed up, I've only myself to be irritated with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    higher end stuff only. Is there the risk of it getting scuffed up? Yeah. I minimize that by not letting anyone other than me load/unload/set up/breakdown. If it gets messed up, i've only myself to be irritated with.
    +1

User Info Menu

I gigged with intermediate kits until recently. Now I go with what fits the venue.

1964 Ludwig Downbeat Black Diamond Pearl (12,13,14,16,20)
    ALL of its Original Hardware

Ludwig Stainless Steel "Bop" (12,14,18)

Ludwig 1947 Standard Deluxe w/Art Gold hardware 3ply Maple 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM470 Auditorium 3ply Mahogany 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM908P Jazz Festival 3ply Mahogany 5.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1964 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1968 LM410 Super Sensitive 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1969 LM404 Acrolite 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1976 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1977 LM401 Lacquered Brass Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1978 LM405 NYC Bd of Ed Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1984 LB552 75th Anniversary Engraved Bronze 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1990s LM404 Black Galaxy Acrolite 10 Lug w/Silver Monroe Keystone 5 x 14
    Ludwig 2010 LB417BT Engraved Black Beauty 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2017 LB402B COB Supraphonic 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2020 LC662KTC Hammered Copperphonic w/all Copper Hardware 6.5 x 14
    DW Collectors 3mm Cast Bell Brass 5.5 x 14
    DW/Craviotto 2000 Steam Bent Solid Cherry 5.5 x 14

Zildjian As and A Customs

User Info Menu

I put together this Saturn for a new band I joined a couple of years ago. I had Canadian 2 dollar bill vinyl stickers made up, took all the hardware off of the drums, and randomly decorated the drums with them. The bands name was 2 Dollar Bills. Not in the band anymore, but still have the kit.

This pic is from the lobby of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

User Info Menu

My gigging set started life as a lowly Groove Percussion 4-piece that I bought for $60---the wrap had been peeled, and they were painted black (with a paintbrush) the shells were flat, and round so I re-cut the bearing edges and slapped on some new heads (Remo black suede Ambassadors on the toms, black suede Emperor on the steel snare, and a gently used Evans Emad 2 on the kick) The hardware is a mix of PDP, Pearl, Tama, and Gibraltar. Cymbals are Meinl 13" hats, 10" splash, 14/16" crashes, Zildjian 20" Zxt ride, and a Wuhan 18" china! They sound great, and I don't mind sharing on open mic nights!