Thread: Black Max And White Max Breaking Easily?

User Info Menu

Default Black Max And White Max Breaking Easily?

Hey everyone I just wanted to get info on those remo white max and black max drumheads breaking because I ordered some white max heads and I'm thinking about ordering some black max drumheads to so if anyone has info I would appreciate it you can I'm me at ...
    Last edited by drummer; 05-27-2008 at 03:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Welcome Cuba.. to DrumChat.

It's best if people can respond here in Drum Chat. That's what the forum's for. Please put your email info. in your profile.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Oh sorry

User Info Menu

CDB, when you allow others to post here in reply, everyone gets to see the replies, and we all get to learn from the posts. It may take a little more time, but then if you hang around here long enough you will see how much you will learn just from reading all the posts. I can't say that I have any experience with the heads you are asking about, but I'm sure there are others that will.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    CDB, when you allow others to post here in reply, everyone gets to see the replies, and we all get to learn from the posts. It may take a little more time, but then if you hang around here long enough you will see how much you will learn just from reading all the posts. I can't say that I have any experience with the heads you are asking about, but I'm sure there are others that will.
    True That! I learned more on my first day in here than I did from two years of high school band! There really is a wealth of knowledge. And unfortunately I know nothing of those heads, so I can't add too the knowledge pool...
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

i know your question is old but No they dont break easy. as cheeze said it's kinda hard to crack kevlar heads.they're very thick.@ my skool we have white max's and i have played on the drums with MS4's(MEATY sticks) and nothing has happened to them.they have great sound and last.
    Got Chops?
    Freshman:Bass 3(Marching Band)
    Bass 2(Winter Drumline)[Bass Captain]

User Info Menu

yeaa, kevlar heads are like, indestructable, they wont break, but they wear down after time, and you start getting down to the fibers, usually around the edges where the head bends down

Those fibers will eventually break, and that ends the snare, but that takes a LONG time, my drum guy has a original pearl free floater from when they just came out, he threw on a kevlar head a week after, head is still strong

User Info Menu

Default Re: Black Max And White Max Breaking Easily?

When putting on the drumheads for the first time, you have to make sure you tighten lightly, play some, tighten more, play some more, etc. Continue that until the kevlar head is to your liking. Whether going for the Corps style or show style, it is up to you how tight you want that top head. I have broken these heads twice but I owned the heads for about 6 or 8 months and I drum quite a bit
    If your heads are breaking early, consider your installation and how you play. If you are attacking the head wrong every time you drum, that is going to limit its life expectancy.
    Respect.
    Like.
    Love.
    ...and Drum!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Black Max And White Max Breaking Easily?

Really, only 6 or 8 months?

Ive noticed them getting a good 3-5 years before they break,

And a reply to your tuning technique, make sure, when you get it to high tension, get the drum to high tension, then let the head stretch for a good bit, 2 hours or so, then get it to the really high tension, like show like tension, let it rest another 2 hours, then you should be in better shape for the head to last longer

2 hours might even be to little, My instructor when they used to march, his corp would have 16 snares, instead of 8, when they changed heads, they would all start on one drum, and let it sit overnight at high tension, while they used the other drum, then they worked on it again, and when the time came, they just switched drums, and the drum they were using becomes the drum they tuned, abnd the drum they tuned becomes the drum their wearing